Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 09:04   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Cruising without a Sprayhood?

Last time we took Rain Dog coastal, blowing like stink, pretty good size waves. The interior was soaked, the nav desk right at companionway soaked. So yes, to me it is a must.

I like the dodger with rain fly set up, you can roll the aft cover to the dodger in fair weather.
Example, not our boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	68910  
Old 18-10-2013, 09:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Hello all,

I was just wondering if a Sprayhood is a must have on a boat if you're cruising long term? Is there anyone out there doing this without one?

I understand the benefits of course, but prefer the cleaner look of boats without them.

Are they a must have item?

Regards,
Simon
Dodgers are great to have, I think most everyone agrees, but I do understand you point about appearance.

Truth be told they don't have to be so tall that you can stand upright beneath them as I often observe. Really they only need to be tall enough to clime into companionway with the hatch boards in place.

In fact taking a lower profile has the advantage of reduced windage and its associated drag.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 16:21   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post

I understand the benefits of course, but prefer the cleaner look of boats without them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I like my coffee unsalted and my clothes dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dodger Joli Elle 001.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	68925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Dodger1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	68926  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 01:02   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I think a dodger/sprayhood is a great item and wouldn't be without it.

On my first boat, a 43 footer which was very dry due to high decks and a high deck-saloon, I didn't have a dodger and didn't realize what I was missing until I changed boats to one with a dodger.

Both were in the Caribbean where winds, even in protected anchorages, would still regularly blow at over 10 knots and often in the 15-20 range. With the wind protection the dodger offers in the cockpit at anchor the livability index goes way up, particularly in the evening when temperatures go down and one actually can get a wind chill.

On passage I leave the dodger up to protect from the incessant wind and occasional rainshower but if conditions get too boisterous it only takes a couple of minutes to drop the dodger (but somewhat longer than that to get it back up).
Old 24-10-2013, 01:19   #20

Boat: Farrier f27
Staying out of the rain, wind and sun makes a lot of difference in how I feel at the end of the day and if its a passage that effect is cumulative.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 07:24   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I did our first Atlantic Circuit on a Contessa 33, a rather whizzy cruiser-racer. The deck layout meant no spray hood. Not a problem with decent oilskins.

What was very useful is a weighted canvas flap that clips on to the sliding hatch and hangs down covering the companionway, a couple of battens stop it falling in.
Stops rain and draughts. Also, means you can use white light below without blinding the cockpit. One of the best things I've ever fitted.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 07:32   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not have a dodger only because i do not want one. mebbe a decent elongated bimini.....
my boat is dry.. it doesnt sail into wind, as no boat will, and if seas are breaking on my foredeck, i am in wrong ocean at wrong time of year.
i use dodger like things for summer downpours and am dreaming up a nice shady bimini like item for sailing sun protection.

not only do i like my coffee unsalted and my clothing dry, i like sun shade in tropics....no burnt skin or eyes....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:01   #23

I did my first trip up the Calif, coast without a dodger and said NEVER AGAIN. I built a boom gallows over the companionway, and then built a dodger, using the gallows as the main(center) support. It worked great, and it added two important additions to a cruising boat. I did the same sort of thing on my second boat, and again, I loved it. I consider a dodger and a gallows essential cruising gear. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:18   #24

Boat: Shopping...

For me, having a protected cockpit is THE difference between coastal and Bluewater, long distance cruising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8501.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	69222  
Old 24-10-2013, 08:39   #25

I did my Pacific/mexico trip in the early 80's without a dodger. They are very nice to have and probably in my top 10 cruising "must haves". But you can do it without it. They keep you from freezing at night, keep the salt spray off you, provide secure storage for line ends, a hat, sunglasses etc etc on the cabin top. My favorite passage position on a mono is sitting in the companionway at the top of the ladder protected by the dodger....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:39   #26

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

Isn't a dodger a dodger and a sprayhood a sealed cover the companionway hatch slides into making it water tight. I have not used the terms interchangeably.I may be wrong so let me have it.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:51   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I consider a dodger and a gallows essential cruising gear. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
^^ ++1
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:59   #28

Boat: Hanse 385

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Will definitely add one before setting out.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 19:33   #29

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Thanks for reminding me to stick with the catamaran idea, where I don't have to have the occasional saltwater bath.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:00   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
Isn't a dodger a dodger and a sprayhood a sealed cover the companionway hatch slides into making it water tight. I have not used the terms interchangeably.I may be wrong so let me have it.
I call that a sea hood. ( fiberglass or wood cover over fwd hatch to keep water out)Don't we also call it a turtle hood...? My brain may be glitchie, but I remember turtle..?
Maybe this should be in the terminology thread

Tags
cruising, hood