Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36   #1

Boat: Ontario 28
Teaching in the Caribbean

Hey there,

I'm toying with the idea of retiring early, and starting cruising earlier too. My plan might need a bit of extra coin for lobsters and beer..... I will have an income in five years will be less than I think required ($2000/month). My wife is an upholsterer who has done extensive work now with biminis, sail covers, and cushions of course, line bags, flags etc.... but for me I am a geography and special ed teacher, has anyone known any wayward teachers to get work in the English speaking islands ? Thanks in advance and thanks for any information or contacts you can help with.
WightSpirit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:35   #2

Re: Teaching in the Caribbean

Usually lots of work in USVI . Lots of mainland teachers . Or work for yer wife !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 13:42   #3

Boat: Various

It will be far easier to find a position if you're doing so in a US territory, hence USVI, Puerto Rico. You have no visas or work permits then to deal with.

Otherwise, while some positions are listed in some online sites, the vast majority are not. They try to fill them with citizens first, then residents. So, they are more inclined to choose someone already living there.

One thing I might suggest is locate the place of your dreams. If not a US territory, make an extended job hunting trip there. You may not get the job, but you can meet with the decision makers and get your face and resume in front ot them. That will increase your chances vs. others and also give you knowledge of the process and your chances.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 12:29   #4

you can get sponsored by a comparable work visa for non USVI areas where there are teacher shortages. The paperwork can take up to six months if you lag on it. For the time and effort involved, you would need to commit to the entire school year. As a travel nurse, I'm often asked to sign up for six months in non US territories to have the paperwork process worth the effort of the employer.

While I'm unfamiliar with the teaching requirements, private sponsorship in more affluent sections are a possibility as well but usually require additional household chores. Good luck
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib