Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 19:34   #76

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Are wooden hull boats a viable option or should I steer clear?

If it was built in New Zealand, the 3 skins would be Kauri & it would be glassed over on the outside. Being a Farr design it will be a great sailing yacht.
My biggest worry would be if it has teak decks? I have owned a double diagonal cold moulded Kauri hulled Lidgard yacht for 22 years that was built in 1972 & we have done thousands of ocean miles in her. Please provide us with the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdoc23 View Post
Thank you for the quick replies. From what I have read the boat is a Farr design and was initially a racing boat. The hull was cold molded with 3 wood layers. I can provide a link to it. The owner has moved off island and it is being sold through a brokerage. The interior is very basic, pretty much gutted so I would have to redo it over time. Ideally we are looking for a day and weekend sailboat but eventually we want to be able to cruise between islands, maybe do some diving off of it.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 19:38   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Run like hell from any wooden boat in warm water. Rot and worms can be continuous especially if not sailed in salt water regularly. Frequent fresh rain promotes rot.

You will constantly replacing some piece or part.
Totally wrong if it's glassed over.
Old 02-08-2019, 19:39   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
A lot of the response here have nothing to do with the boat the OP is considering which is cold molded. Cold molded boats are sheathed in fiberglass.

http://sixrivermarine.com/Cold%20molding%20QA.htm
Exactly.
Old 02-08-2019, 19:52   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanconcepts View Post
It’s clear most of the posters here did not read your post describing the actual boat you are considering.

A cold molded boat does not have significant differences in hull maintenance compared to fiberglass, and some advantages, like better insulation. It’s a form of composite construction, and a Farr design like that is almost certainly sealed with epoxy/ glass. The comments about wood boat maintenance are not necessarily all wrong, but have no relevance to the boat you are considering. On the plus side, you don’t need to worry about blisters with cold molded wood.

Of greater relevance is the design of the boat, it’s appropriateness to your desired use (particularly as a new sailor), and the condition of the systems and equipment. Old race boats often need a lot of work- glass or cold molded. They could be gems or nightmares. Carpentry is unlikely to be the big issue.

Having dealt with deck water intrusion in both wood and balsa cored glass, I’ll take working on the wood deck problems by a mile.

FWIW, I’ve owned both glass and wood, and currently have a 39’ cold molded kauri S&S design (ex IOR, former Sydney-Hobart winner) that will be 50 years old next year, and is still going strong.
Your S&S sounds like a real nice yacht. Could you post a photo?
Old 02-08-2019, 19:55   #80

Wow that's a beautiful yacht.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I see Brin Wilson.... I'm jealous !! There was one of his boats for sale a couple of years ago in NZ but I could not get it at the right price. I regret not buying her now. You have a NZ legend !!Attachment 197087

Attachment 197089

Attachment 197090
Old 02-08-2019, 19:58   #81

Our cold moulded Lidgard Demijohn design Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_113659.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	197099
Old 02-08-2019, 20:17   #82

Wood is why fiberglass was invented. Wood and water as mentioned by several Ship Wright’s is a lot of work compared to plastic. Used Catalina’s,, Islanders, Odays,Cals etc. or similar would be a better choice for a first timer and resale would be much easier when you upgrade.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 20:31   #83

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

My feeling - both get growth. With a wood boat you MUST keep it clean or damage will be done. With a plastic boat it takes work to clean but no damage will be done unless you REALLY let it go too long.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 20:39   #84

Just had a look at it. Wow definitely a piece of New Zealand yachting history at a bargain price. But you would have to be totally committed to owning a piece of history and be prepared for lots of maintenance.
Old 02-08-2019, 23:14   #85

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

How can so many people know so little and post about it? It's disappointing a sizeable number of posters here giving advice don't even seem to understand what a cold molded boat is.

Talking about all the work that goes into a "wooden boat". This isn't even a wooden boat. It's a composite boat and wood is used as in place of glass as part of the structure.

There are no worms, no planks, no termites. Nothing. It's very thin pieces of plywood laid into epoxy and built up later by layer, completely encapsulating it. There is often a small veil of glass put on the outside to protect against abrasion.

Half the posters here are clueless, going on about wooden boats. It's a composite boat just like half the people here own. You think your balsa cored boat is superior because it's "fiberglass?". Think again. This boat is typically superior. Especially when the hull is compromised.

Further, it probably weighs less than most composite boats made with balsa core.

This is a composite boat, not a "wooden boat". It's no more a wooden boat than a balsa core boat is a wooden boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 23:42   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^^^^

Yep, lots of thoughtless advice given above, railing about the awfulness of a timber boat when the real issue here is that the boat is not well suited to: a novice sailor, short handed crewing or living aboard without REALLY extensive modification.

And guess what? The OP has now recognized this and moved on, so you guys who are warning him of the (non existent) evils of "wooden boats" such as this are really wasting your time.

But I hope that he has had a learning experience reading the comments, for some of them were appropriate to his quest.

Jim
Old 03-08-2019, 01:03   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
How can so many people know so little and post about it? .
Are you new to cruiser's forum?

This is SOP. there are people here who claim to know more about sailing an F50 than the guys who actually sail them.

Who know more about the weather where I am than I do...

Who know more about my boat than I do, even though I built it and have around 40,000 miles on it....

Who've never been near a multihull, yet know more about them than their designers, builders and owners do...

This could well be finest repository of assumed knowledge in the universe!!!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:43   #88
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I live in Hawaii too and everything, everyplace is hard on boats.

Yes, you need insurance in almost all marinas and even to clear into the waters of many countries in the world (like the US). You didn't mention the age of the wooden boat but unless its in par excellence, Concours d'Elegance, Bristol mint condition forget getting insurance, especially in Hawaii. Maybe in Pebble Beach or Carmel where they appreciate such things.

PM me, I'll take a look at it.
Built 1974
According to survey this used to be in Waikiki YC and one would not move from there to the Keehi unless forced to.
Some big dollars were invested in a taller mast, new sails, and deep bulb keel.

Overall we are looking at racing boat with only 12 gallon fuel tank and zero shade in the cockpit.

This is certainly not the type of vessel to take the family on. Have you ever sailed between Oahu and Hawaii Island? I have and it was miserable.

For some reason no pictures on Yacht World, or Craig's List, or in Survey of the engine and galley. Hmmm.

At a minimum you are going to need a decnt large fuel tank to safely sail as a beginner. Believe me your wife and kids will want shade.

Where is this registered... Correction I see in Survey USCG. The pictures show home port of Auckland.

Note: Best customer for this boat wants a racing boat and it would be far more valuable if taken back to Auckland. But with 16 gallons of water and 12 gallons of fuel you will need to add a lot of Jerry cans. It's a long ways and would be a miserable trip on a boat this small with no autopilot or shade. Perhaps a hired crew.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 18:35   #89

Boat: S&S 39' cold molded one ton, Brin Wilson (NZ) built 1970. Finn Dinghy, rowing shells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I see Brin Wilson.... I'm jealous !! There was one of his boats for sale a couple of years ago in NZ but I could not get it at the right price. I regret not buying her now. You have a NZ legend !!
Thanks, I'm aware of Pathfinder's history and am striving to be worthy of the boat. Excellent original construction and generally good care over the years have left her quite solid, problems are mostly cosmetic (paint) and I'm working on bringing onboard systems up to cruising standards.
Oceanconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 18:49   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanconcepts View Post
Thanks, I'm aware of Pathfinder's history and am striving to be worthy of the boat. Excellent original construction and generally good care over the years have left her quite solid, problems are mostly cosmetic (paint) and I'm working on bringing onboard systems up to cruising standards.
I am confused? The S&S in the photos that were posted were of the 1 tonner "Kishmul".which has been beautifully restored to probably better than new. Now we are talking about the yacht "Pathfinder"? Which is another 1 tonner that was part of New Zealand's winning team in the 1971 Southern Cross Cup.

Tags
boat, hull