Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 13:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Re: Are wooden hull boats a viable option or should I steer clear?

I live in Hawaii too and everything, everyplace is hard on boats.

Yes, you need insurance in almost all marinas and even to clear into the waters of many countries in the world (like the US). You didn't mention the age of the wooden boat but unless its in par excellence, Concours d'Elegance, Bristol mint condition forget getting insurance, especially in Hawaii. Maybe in Pebble Beach or Carmel where they appreciate such things.

PM me, I'll take a look at it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Are wooden hull boats a viable option or should I steer clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I live in Hawaii too and everything, everyplace is hard on boats.

Yes, you need insurance in almost all marinas and even to clear into the waters of many countries in the world (like the US). You didn't mention the age of the wooden boat but unless its in par excellence, Concours d'Elegance, Bristol mint condition forget getting insurance, especially in Hawaii. Maybe in Pebble Beach or Carmel where they appreciate such things.

PM me, I'll take a look at it.
Built 1974
According to survey this used to be in Waikiki YC and one would not move from there to the Keehi unless forced to.
Some big dollars were invested in a taller mast, new sails, and deep bulb keel.

Overall we are looking at racing boat with only 12 gallon fuel tank and zero shade in the cockpit.

This is certainly not the type of vessel to take the family on. Have you ever sailed between Oahu and Hawaii Island? I have and it was miserable.

For some reason no pictures on Yacht World, or Craig's List, or in Survey of the engine and galley. Hmmm.

At a minimum you are going to need a decnt large fuel tank to safely sail as a beginner. Believe me your wife and kids will want shade.

Where is this registered... Correction I see in Survey USCG. The pictures show home port of Auckland.

Note: Best customer for this boat wants a racing boat and it would be far more valuable if taken back to Auckland. But with 16 gallons of water and 12 gallons of fuel you will need to add a lot of Jerry cans. It's a long ways and would be a miserable trip on a boat this small with no autopilot or shade. Perhaps a hired crew.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull