Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 10:57   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2
Re: Toronto Islands / Toronto Harbor Permit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post
Also do not have a marine VHF license due to COVID causing most VHF exams to be canceled. We do have a VHF onboard however.

You can do the "online self-study Maritime Radio course" at cps-ecp.ca then arrange for an online videoconferene exam via GoToMeeting or Zoom. I've administered 132 exams this way since March 2020; COVID doesn't stop us!
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So sorry to hear. When I was tucked in there it was beautifully quiet. Very little traffic at all. There were the tour boats that would come down and circle the island, but it was easy to anchor well out of their way. Never saw any private party boats.

My how things can change in such a short time .
Especially in Toronto Mike- every time I go 'home' ( which obviously hasn't been for a while with border) I 'm amazed how they manage to cram more buildings in ! A few years back we took friends from Cleveland to the boat show , and as we were driving into the city the comment was 'Now we know where ALL the building cranes are'

I grew up on the East side south of Queen st - I barely recognized it the last time I drove through the neighborhood .
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 04:09   #18

Boat: O'Day 27

I got the permit a few years ago. A phone call to Ports Toronto where the officer discussed the harbor rules. It was relatively inexpensive and worth a few minutes to keep out of trouble. Ferries have right of way. Yes, right of way over all traffic. Tied up at Marina Quay West on the wall. Nice facilities if not exceptional. It can be boisterous with occasional partiers late at night but generally peaceful. The airport exclusion zones at the approaches to Billy Bishop Airport are a big deal. Don't go into them for any reason. That was made abundantly clear when I called.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 16:00   #19

Boat: Hullmaster 31 (Aka Douglas 31)

I forgot to update the thread.

I ended up getting the harbor license over the phone. The harbormaster was a nice guy - you get the impression that jetskiers and power boaters cause his headaches most of the time. He mentioned that anchoring / mooring are not really allowed, and let me know of a few places where people might anchor, wink wink, so long as they make no trouble.

He also mentioned that once COVID protocol is relaxed it'll be necessary to do the in-person MOB exam on one of the harbor's boats.

Feels like a money grab for the license, but was an easy experience so can't complain.
paradoxbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permit