Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 21:22   #1

1000 islands 2021 water too low?

Hello Friends,
We are planning a trip to the 1000 islands mid to end of August 2021. My younger daughter wants to sail the boat with her dad from Humber Bay to Kingston in one straight shot, and i will drive a rental to Kingston with my other daughter and the dog (who can't handle going on the outside). We were planning to come back to Toronto on the inside but a boat neighbour has suggested the water levels might be too low for us in certain parts of that inside trek this year. We draw 5.5. It was also suggested generally we might have some troubles this year because of the low water level in the 1000 islands and some of the park services and docks would be closed. We always anchor when we are there but do go ashore in the dinghy for the dog. If anyone can shed some light on low water level impact in that area and the return journey via Bellville and the Murray canal this year I would be very grateful.
Also if you have done the outside Toronto to Kingston non-stop, please tell me how long that took. Our boat is 34 feet.
ladybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 00:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 1000 islands 2021 water too low?

Present water levels (with range over last 12 hours) on the Great Lakes and upper St. Lawrence River are available from a network of gauging stations operated by the Canadian Hydrographic Service.
Lake Ontario water levels at Kingston, call (613) 544-9264
Voice-announcing water level gauges | Pat's Boating in Canada

More ➥ https://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/C&A/bulletin-eng.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 03:58   #3

I was through the Bay of Quinte in June (C&C 29 Draft: 5ft), Ladybo, and it was extremely shallow. Even at some points where the channel is reported to be maintained to 7 feet, we were getting readings of 4.6 ft - but then, that was most likely the weeds, since we didn't ground.

Regardless of the depth, if you go inside, the weeds this year are atrocious. We fouled our prop once and I was surprised it didn't happen more.

If you do go inside, keep to the deep water channel only going into Trenton, carefully monitor your depthsounder and listen for the straining-engine sound of a weed-fouled prop. Also check your water-strainer daily and keep an ear out for your engine's water cooling.

Those weeds have been growing even more since June, so I would expect you'd be fouled more than once, and water strainer needed to be cleared roughly every second day in the Thousand Islands.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 04:16   #4

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

The good news is, Lake Ontario is up 5.5 inches since the beginning of July (and came up a little during June as well).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 04:38   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Google is your friend. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/1000/visit/cartes-maps

Some island docks have plenty of water, and some have little. Always been that way. Without going thru a map to refresh my memory, are there specific islands you want to visit?

Weeds are indeed very bad this year. Low water, lots of rain induced fertilizer have resulted in record plant growth. Check the strainer every time you go through a weedy area. Mine took minutes to pack up such that only a trickle was coming through.

Don’t know about the canal, they won’t let us southerners use it.
Tetepare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 06:47   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybo View Post
Hello Friends,
We are planning a trip to the 1000 islands mid to end of August 2021. My younger daughter wants to sail the boat with her dad from Humber Bay to Kingston in one straight shot, and i will drive a rental to Kingston with my other daughter and the dog (who can't handle going on the outside). We were planning to come back to Toronto on the inside but a boat neighbour has suggested the water levels might be too low for us in certain parts of that inside trek this year. We draw 5.5. It was also suggested generally we might have some troubles this year because of the low water level in the 1000 islands and some of the park services and docks would be closed. We always anchor when we are there but do go ashore in the dinghy for the dog. If anyone can shed some light on low water level impact in that area and the return journey via Bellville and the Murray canal this year I would be very grateful.
Also if you have done the outside Toronto to Kingston non-stop, please tell me how long that took. Our boat is 34 feet.
Glad to see the advice from folks who've recently been there. I used to sail out of Belleville, and have traversed the whole lake back in 2015. We draw 6 feet and the weeds were indeed a major challenge from Presqu'ile Bay all the way to The Narrows in the Bay of Quinte. After that it lessened. The actual Murray Canal was no issue back then. Our experience was that as long as we stuck strictly to the channel, it was OK. But stray off the path and the weeds monsters will get you!

Although water is thin in places, actual depths shouldn't be a problem. And it's mostly mud and "loon shyte", as the locals say, so dragging through it is rarely a problem.

I can't comment on what docks might be a problem in the 1000 Islands, but you should be able to find that through Parks Canada.

I sailed from Toronto Harbour down to Presqu'ile overnight, and arrived there in the morning. Ours is a 37-footer. Kingston adds another ~60 nm to the trip, so leaving in the evening would get you into Kingston during daylight the following day.

Sounds like a fun trip.
Old 27-07-2021, 08:50   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 31 (Aka Douglas 31)

We sailed from Belleville to Whitby earlier this month (Around July 5th) via the Murray Canal.

Would not do it again until water levels are higher. We draw about 5' with a long keel.

The bay of Quinte was fine, but around Trenton the water got pretty shallow, and as mentioned the weeds were bad. We stuck to the deep channel but still had the depth alarm go off a few times. Depthfinder was indicating less than 3 feet under us in many parts of the channel leading up to the canal entrance. Once we got closer to the canal it got deeper - I guess they dredge out there. Other parts of the channel further east were OK with around 12 to 16 feet, steady.

Murray Canal was fine - depth was steady the entire length of the canal. Very enjoyable.

But when we got out of the west side of the canal, oh man what a different story. The depth alarm was going off CONSTANTLY once we got about 1/8 mile from the exit of the canal. We stuck to the channel but I am pretty certain we touched bottom at least twice. As mentioned it is likely just mud, but still, not comfortable. We tried zig zagging in the channel to find a deeper area but it's all just very shallow.

Once we passed Gosport/Presquile YC the water started to get deeper and stayed that way.

I'm sure those who are local probably know the best path to take but it was a very nerve wracking experience for me on a new boat with deeper draft than my previous boats. I was planning to do the same route back to Belleville YC this year for winter storage but have decided to just move the cradle instead - October weather is too unpredictable and I can't take off that much work waiting for an ideal weather window to do the long trip around the Prince Edward County peninsula and back through the bay.

I would recommend anchoring or finding a marina to stay at on the east side of the Peninsula then make a run for it to Cobourg the next day, on the lake rather than in the Bay of Quinte. Start very early in the morning as there are not many places to run and hide if the weather turns - Presquile bay will be about your only choice and it's not well protected from south / southeast wind. Quite shallow in much of the area as well so even areas that look like they can be ducked into can't be accessed by a deep keel boat.

You could realistically do Kingston to Toronto in about 24 hours if you go non-stop through the night. You'll of course have to motor if the wind dies off in the evening and early morning, but it usually picks back up from another direction after an hour or two. Steadier wind if you go way out into the middle of the lake. Very uncomfortable waves in the middle of the lake on the east side though - 1m with 2-3 second periods isn't uncommon, usually coming from the west. Gets smoother as you get closer to Toronto.
paradoxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 12:54   #8

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

The Lake Ontario-St Lawrence River Board provides pretty close to real time data on the Lakes water level. See the link below.

https://ijc.org/en/loslrb/watershed/water-levels
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 13:13   #9

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

The May & June water levels were a little below average at spring launch time, but we're at 74.86 m now (66 cm above chart datum) and neither we nor any of our friends in the Kingston / Thousand Islands area have run around recently.

Lake level was at 75.19 m when we did the inside route through the Bay of Quinte last year, and we had no trouble with a 5'6" draught. But we did stick, very carefully, to the charted deep-water channel. Water depths are not guaranteed, but the limiting draught is generally taken as 1.8 m / 6'0" at chart datum with an expectation of 2.4 m / 8'0" minimum water depth in the charted channel in an average year (which 2021 is). There's a *lot* of weed, several feet deep; you'll often measure 5' or 6' on the sounder but there's 3' of weed between that and the actual mud. Stray from the channel at your own risk. You will probably be motoring, rather than tacking/beating, if you're westbound through there.

Many (not all) of the Thousand Islands national park docks are usable at 5'6" draught as long as the level's above 74.5 m. The remaining ones usually call for a <4' draught no matter what.

The Thousand Islands are absolutely worth exploring, and we'd be happy to hear from you if you do come down this way.
Old 27-07-2021, 16:48   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you know the park islands, you know that there are lots of deep docks for sailboats, and lots of shallow docks usually occupied by (shallow) motorboats.

I can see cedar island on my daily dog walk, and its packed with sailboats every day at both sets of docks. I'm certain Mermaid Island would be fine too. Milton would be sketchy and there are only a couple deep docks (the easternmost long fingers as you enter). Milton also has a rock mid channel of the entrance, depth around 4 feet...it has some of my keel paint on it. Aubrey has deep docks on the NE corner, but I wouldn't go into "generator bay" on the south side.

As others have said, lots of weeds this year. Not really a problem in the islands except that your depth-o-meter will tell you its too shallow when there's really a few feet of weeds under your keel.

Personally, I favour the large anchorage SE of Beaurivage I. I'm sure you will find plenty of depth there, especially at the deeper, east end of the anchorage. Its a great spot to park the boat and explore all around by dinghy. With a 2hp outboard on my dinghy, I've gone from that anchorage to Gan (for ice cream) or Thwartway (for the secret beach). Also, its an easy trip ashore to Beau in the dinghy to take the dog ashore...lots of shallow docks on the south side.

I've done the trip from Toronto to Kingston (and back) many times on both the inside and outside. I personally prefer the outside...you can set the autohelm and just relax. Coming from Toronto, you rarely get any wind at the west end of the lake, so I hope you have a good diesel. If you keep your speed up, you can make it in around 24 hours. The trouble is that the tricky bits are at the end, when you are most sleepy.

You have a good, big boat, so unless there is a big storm or something, you should have no issue with the waves and wind (or lack of wind). Expect to motor all night.

If you have time, I would encourage you to stop at Cobourg. Its a great spot, with restaurants and beach all walking distance to the marina. If you have reciprocal privileges with your club, your stay might even be free. Then you have an easier shot to Kingston after a good night's rest. Generally, Cobourg is 10 hours from Toronto, depending on your exact start point.

When approaching kingston, I like to take the Bateau Channel between Wolfe Island and Simcoe Island. Its deep and wide. As you round the corner at the east end of Simcoe, there is an excellent anchorage, well protected from the prevailing SW winds, with excellent holding and lots of swing room. If you are tired, this is a spot I like to anchor and sleep. You have a great view of Kingston, and the swimming is outstanding.

If you have any other questions, I'm a local in Kingston. I'd also be happy to crew on the delivery (for free). I've done this for several other CF members with no complaints so far...LOL!

Bateau Channel and anchorage at the NE end of Simcoe:
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...%7DxqlGpz%7CqM

Anchorage SE of Beaurivage:
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@14&key=svkmGpx~oM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5264.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	242859   Click image for larger version

Name:	End of school sailing trip 120.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	242860  

Name:	Compromise 114.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	242861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 122.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	242862  

Name:	Compromise 077.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	242863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 031.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	242864  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 17:38   #11

Boat: Catalina 375

D Hamburger.. A friend of mine dinged his keel last week in the channel at Simcoe just west of the ferry crossing, north side. I suspect one of those rolling boulders. As you know, I draw 7 feet. I have not hit yet but careful. There are a lot of places I cannot go. I was close to the 2 buoys near the eastern entrance of the channel last week. The water is skinny and you need to stay in the middle between red and green buoys. Salmon Shoal seems huge this year. The reality in our little paradise is that being careful, there is lots of great sailing. Was down at Quebec Cut last weekend, water was skinny.Could not go right thru due to our border problems. I would not go inside of Milton either and the Spectacles need to be watched closely. Yes some of the parks Islands are closed but as you know, there are thousands of spots to drop an anchor for the night. Docks are not needed. I have not been out to Main Duck as yet but I am sure there will be lots of anchorages away from the docks. Cheers
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 17:43   #12

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybo View Post
Hello Friends,

If it is any consolation, our 10,000 islands in South Florida draws 4 ft to none in many places and many mean oyster shores
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 04:05   #13

Boat: Beneteau 36, Jeanneau36i, Catalina 30(3x),Catalina34(2x), Hunters, Tiara, TollyCraft44+19 others-sld

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
If it is any consolation, our 10,000 islands in South Florida draws 4 ft to none in many places and many mean oyster shores
+1
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 04:25   #14

Couple days ago I was at Crysler Park and the entrance and inside very shallow. The park recommended for the moment not coming there or be careful if you draw more then 4 feet.
JonathanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 17:23   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Yes, I also thought of the 10,000 Islands NWR when I saw the title of this thread. I have run aground there trying to make passages in the marked channel in a pontoon boat.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water