Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 19:18   #31

Re: Ten degrees down by the bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The water levels were already high...and today's rain was massive, downpour after downpour. And more rain in the forecast.
I saw that on the Eastern Goes Satellite. That one this evening was huge. We had 1.5 inches in 1 hour and the creek in my backyard is doing some hydraulic raking at the moment. Worse part was it also crossed Lake Erie so the falls will be really spectacular when that heads this way. It stretched quite a distance into Ontario Province and as far south as Southern Pennsylvania. We even had tornado watches up from the National Weather Service. Tetepare would have gotten it also up near Sodus. Early today we had another biblical deluge around 00:30. Not sure how much came down but my gutters are clean and it overflowed them.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 19:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Interesting, I didn't know, they are managing it that way. I am sitting at Lake St Clair, way upstream of you, Lake Superior, Huron-Michigan, St Clair, Erie are tracking at last years levels, with little increase in April, only Lake Ontario gained 0.5 meter in April. To me this looks like inflow is average, same as last year, but they plugged the Seaway downstream from Kingston. Is there more flow from other tributaries, risking too high levels at Montreal?

Dirk
Here is a local story on the IJC and how levels are adjusted. Record rain or Plan 2014? The facts behind the flooding | WHAM
Old 04-05-2017, 10:40   #33

At the Olcott Yacht Club plans are underway to open the side of the building to allow boats to dock at the new floating bar or simply to sail through and say hello.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shorelineflooding.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	147072  
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13   #34

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Sodus Bay YC fixed docks are under water.

Crescent Beach- the cottage-strewn rock bar separating the eastern bay from the lake, is reported breached in three places. One is big. Lots of photos on saveoursodus.org
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 15:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Sodus Bay YC fixed docks are under water.

Crescent Beach- the cottage-strewn rock bar separating the eastern bay from the lake, is reported breached in three places. One is big. Lots of photos on saveoursodus.org
Those pictures are a testament to the power of that lake. I watched the dock across from me breaking free last evening and now it is floating in the creek. That should make the run to the lake even more nerve wracking. The debris I was encountering until two miles out last weekend was incredible. No night sailing for a while yet. Docks, logs and a variety of other flotsam was making keeping a sharp lookout a must. Didn't care to collide and risk punching a hole in the hull especially with the water a balmy 39 degrees.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:25   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

The water is now perhaps 10 cm below the outer concrete docks here at Stillwater in Belleville. As it is, when the wind picks up the outer basin will become basically open to the Bay (of Qunite), and boats will start moving…

If things get really weird we may leave the dock and go anchor somewhere. I’d feel safer swinging from my hook.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The water is now perhaps 10 cm below the outer concrete docks here at Stillwater in Belleville. As it is, when the wind picks up the outer basin will become basically open to the Bay (of Qunite), and boats will start moving…

If things get really weird we may leave the dock and go anchor somewhere. I’d feel safer swinging from my hook.
I will be out prowling the south shore tomorrow. I am waiting to find a house out there that I will fling my anchor through a window. Tow it up to one of the submerged islands up east and anchor it there once the water level drops, bingo, instant summer home on a private island. Loved the interview with a reporter in Toronto. A bit of a rub on not building on the shoreline in Canada. Strangely in the US, towns and counties allow it for the tax revenue and fools are all too willing to provide it. Not like this situation is new. I remember June of 72 with Hurricane Agnes causing the same erosion and flooding issues. Man tells doctor, "It hurts when I do that." Doctor says, "Don't do that." Some folks need to hit their thumb with a hammer more than once to realize it hurts I guess.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42   #38

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

Victoria Island, the site of the Bay of Quinte YC is closed until further notice. Thus BQYC is closed too.

My Tanzer 22 is still safely moored on the driveway. Really hard to get any work done this spring, it, it never stops raining.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05   #39

Boat: Ontario32

Midland Ontario DFO water guage indicating +760mm above datum. Winds direction 350, speed 9kts.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew of Turning View Post
Midland Ontario DFO water guage indicating +760mm above datum. Winds direction 350, speed 9kts.
It looks like more rain, snow and north winds for tonight and tomorrow. The whiners over here have enlisted the aid of a few assembly members and at least one US Representative. They are crying to release more water at Moses Saunders. The F@#$ them along the St. Lawrence attitude is getting as pervasive as zebra mussels. Well boo hoo hoo is my attitude. Boneheads built these palaces on the lake even though erosion has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I helped a friend sandbag his cousin's house in 72 during Hurricane Agnes and realized they had built their house on a damn sandbar. Building on the shores of the Great Lakes makes as much sense as building on the Barrier Islands off the Carolina Coasts. Damn towns and counties were all too happy to issue building permits along the shore to enhance tax revenue without regard to the erosion issues. If the politicos had any guts they would condemn the properties using eminent domain and turn the lakeshore into a public area similar to what Canada and the Upper Lakes have already done. The real joke is pouncing on Plan 2014 as the cause. Ha. Wouldn't have a thing to do with record rainfall in the Great Lakes Basin. Every stream, creek and river is roaring at this point all headed into Ontario. Opening the drain on a bathtub while filling it with a firehose wouldn't change a thing.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
My Tanzer 22 is still safely moored on the driveway. Really hard to get any work done this spring, it, it never stops raining.
A T22 in the driveway...that seems like a pretty good plan. A few more days of rain and you can just sail it away!

Lake Ontario currently at 1.5 metres above chart datum, and still rising.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10   #42

Here is an article about the unfortunate state of affairs for our Canadian neighbors along the St. Lawrence and tributaries: Quebec enlists Canadian Forces in fight against rising floodwaters - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42   #43

I of course have friend with homes (not just seasonal cottages) on the Lake Ontario shores and bays. I feel for them. And of course I want to launch

That said I've watched sodus bay silt in in my lifetime. My bud and I shake our heads every year looking at a spot we used to bowfish which is now 40' inshore. The dock I swam from as a kid is now (as in right now) in maybe 4' of water with 4' of silt on the bottom.

As a hardcore right wing environmentalists I'd love to observe a year of totally natural water flow on my bay. I'm sure it would be an amazing experience.

Ok I'll address the 800lb gorilla now. Right wing environmentalists??? Is there such a thing? Absolutely. Right wingers believe in freedom, personal responsibility, and small government. That means you are free to build your home on the lake but you are responsible for it, not the government. Don't bitch if it gets washed away. Wanna bring god into it? Ok. God gave us a natural seasonal swing of potentially more than three meters. If god wanted water control he'd have done it.

Don't want to start a political fight- simply point out that we've controlled the environment and now pay the price and it's ironic that a cross-political spectrum can all be on the same side when they rely on government control. I say let it roll with the weather and I'll have to put my big boy Gills on and deal with it.
Old 06-05-2017, 13:32   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our outer harbour wall is now a couple of cm above the water. This concrete walk and wall is normally 2 to 3 meters above the water line. When this gets overwashed it will inundate the outer basin in our small marina.

My partner and I are the only liveaboards right now, so we’ve been helping the marina owner and fellow boaters move their boats to slips in the inner basin. And I’ve got my Plan B, C, and Ds should the water reach us in the inner basin. At that point all the docks will be floating. Not fun...
Old 06-05-2017, 13:37   #45

Wow mike! You're in Belleville area?
That walkway WILL be awash.