Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 18:56   #1

Boat: Precision 18
North Channel Anchoring

I'm heading up to north channel for the first time later this year in our little 18ft bathtub trailer sailer. Will i regret going there with an 8# cheapie danforth style anchor, 5' of chain and 80' of rode as my primary hook? Or do you think i need to invest in something more substantial and more scope?
Buflowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 19:07   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: North channel anchoring

Welcome Aboard CF

You may get by with it in a protected anchorage, no wind and no current. Rode length is good for about 15' of water. I would use at least a 15 lb. anchor myself...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 17:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

That anchor is probably OK for everything but a big blow. You may want to consider adding another anchor, chain etc. in case you need to double up or you loose one. I know space is short but if you select a set with a rail mount system it can hang on the aft pulpit. There are places up there where you might also like a long line to belay to shore. You will likely find other sailors up there living the entire summer on a trailer boat. Have fun.

BTW, make sure you are prepared for total Zero Discharge. I hear the Canadian CG is picky about your equipment and keep all records, receits of pump-outs to verify you did it. We added an Air Head this year since our holding tank is so small.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:55   #4

Thanks guys. I've added a small Delta as my primary anchor. My three separate lines now have thimbles at each end to allow shackling together, giving me plenty of rode if needed. Along with a couple cheapie danforths on board, I should be ok with thoughtful locations and sets. We'll find out on our GTB shakedown this weekend.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03   #5

Regarding waste, we'll be using the bucket and wag bags. I trust this is sufficient. Have you heard otherwise?
Old 27-07-2011, 17:15   #6
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

In the North Channel, and the Cruising Editor for Waterway Guide for that area, and was a charter captain up there for years. There are hundreds of protected anchorages, esp for a small boat such as yours. In a blow, find a small protected cove, and tie yourself off to the trees on shore, basically spidering yourself in.
Many NC anchorages are quite deep close to shore - I've anchored forty footers as close as ten feet - have a long line to tie off to shore in a med moor style with the anchor out. Make sure it's floating line.
If you can give me more specific info as to where you'll be, I can advise you on specific anchorages.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:48   #7

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buflowing View Post
Regarding waste, we'll be using the bucket and wag bags. I trust this is sufficient. Have you heard otherwise?
From what I briefly surmised from the internet is that boats with toilet facilities need an approved Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) installed. Boats without heads may have more flexibility as long as you are responsibly storing and disposing the waste. But the CG may have a different view on the matter and I would recommend contacting them to clarify the rules if you are in doubt. Definitely disposing in the waterways would be no-no...

I think the rules for Canada and the US are more or less the same.

EDIT:
I found this government page on the issue which is not very formative but is a start: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-resources-publications-protecting-menu-873.htm#sewage
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 21:56   #8
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: North Channel Anchoring

Quote:
Regarding waste, we'll be using the bucket and wag bags.
Canadian regulations are quite strict in regards to holding tanks and the use thereof. And if you're caught breaking them, the penalties are quite severe.
Rest assured, if you pump overboard or foul the waters up there in any way and you're seen doing it, you will be reported.
These are waters you can drink out of, just dip your cup over the side. Please respect them.
Old 27-07-2011, 21:59   #9
cruiser

btw, there is a group of trailer sailors who cruise the North Channel every season. I don't have contact information for them, but a google search will likely turn up information on them.
They typically start out around Blind River on the North Shore. I've seen them out there, looks like a fun group.
Old 28-07-2011, 03:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor

These are waters you can drink out of, just dip your cup over the side. Please respect them.
Appreciate that...our bucket is not used without the bag. I drink the same water as you.
Old 28-07-2011, 03:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor
If you can give me more specific info as to where you'll be, I can advise you on specific anchorages.
With 7 to 8 days to work with We'll probably roam between John Island and Little Current. Is it hard to find shallow sites, say in ten feet or less?
Old 28-07-2011, 04:45   #12

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buflowing View Post
Appreciate that...our bucket is not used without the bag. I drink the same water as you.
I might suggest purchasing a portpottie. They are not too expensive and will be more sanitary and comfortable than a bucket.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 05:11   #13
cruiser

Hi - beautiful area, definitely one of the best in the North Channel, and very protected in the Whalesback. Bear Drop Harbour, opposite John Island, is a beautiful harbour, depths at around 10 - 12 feet and you can get in pretty close there. John Island, especially at the western end, has some great little coves with spectacular views. Once you leave the eastern end of the Whalesback channel, you've got some choices in direction. I've got a meeting coming up shortly, but following that, I'll look at my charts and and make some further suggestions. If you have a copy of the Waterway Guide for the Great Lakes, you can get a lot of my information there as well.
Old 28-07-2011, 05:24   #14

Boat: Stevens 47

I also ran a charter boat for a few summers when the mines in Elliot Lake first shut down. It was mainly a fishing charter, a 24 foot Limestone out of Blind River, owned by a friend of mine. Awesome boat, awesome salmon fishing back then, a lot of great memories.

The North Channel is truly one of the prettiest and best sailing areas in at least the Great Lakes, if not the world. Prevailing westerlies, clean, clear water, islands and moorages galore.

I miss the area, the fishing hasn't been quite the same now the cormorant population has exploded. People in that area are just the best!

Enjoy your time there...once you've been there once, you'll go back again and again....it's just that nice!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 05:25   #15

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"

I really like Bear Drop. If you're into fishing, you might have some luck there. Try the South East end near the gap (you'll know what I mean when you see it) at dusk w a silver spoon or big silver spinner. Pickeral (Walleye) and pike. Just don't tell anyone. (It's a secret).

A great sail in a west wind is from the west end of John Island to Gore Bay. 20-25 mile beam reach.

Tags
anchor, anchoring