Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 13:07   #1

Let's hear it for old boats.

I had an exceptional ride on Lake Ontario today. Beating to windward with a single reef and my high wind jib in some mighty big waves (6 -7 with a few at over 9) with the characteristic short period was an absolute joy. Now for those who pooh pooh the GL on cranky days here is a little snippet from some Hot $hit Ocean Racers that challenged the freshwater sea. They haven't been back since.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Let's hear it for old boats.

I was there in 1986 for that Offshore race.

Leading up to the race was something to see. Loud boats, braggards, and millions of dollars being tossed around. The owner of Popeye's was the loudest bigmouth I'd ever seen.

Apache stuffed it, as can be seen in the video. That was just minutes into the race. a few minutes later they cancelled the race. What a disappointment all the way around.

I have photos of Apache washed up on the shore, and still have the original event program.

The weather was a typical great sailing day. No more than 3' waves with a longer period than normal. But it wrecked havoc on those boats designed for long ocean swells.

The throttleman of Jesse James (two brothers) was killed less than two months later in a similar submarining off Miami.

20 years later I was in a pub in the same town, 11pm. Some big powerboat braggard at the bar was challenging anyone to race.

I finally stood up to him and told him I'd take him on, $500 to the winner. I suggested we race to Toronto and return. He asked what I was racing, I replied a Catalina 30. The crowd got really interested and my friends were all smirking.

Sombody told braggard that a Catalina 30 is a sailboat. He said he'd crush me. I said we were leaving at midnight. To Toronto and return, no stopping. I explained that with 20 knot winds and 5' waves it would take me 15 hours to get to Toronto, but I'd beat him there. He complained that the $500 bet wouldn't cover his gas, and that he couldn't make the round trip. I said too bad, you wanted a race, now you have 45 minutes to get off dock. Mr. braggard became the laughing stock of the pub.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:53   #3

Re: Let's hear it for old boats.

Tetepare I do remember the loud mouths being in town in 86 yammering on about how they were heap big hot shot racers. What a non event. I was glad I had my oldy but goody yesterday with its' raked bow instead of the new and improved pitch pole specials. It was grand fun to drop into the trough and see the bow a few inches from going under the next wave only to have the reserve buoyancy kick in and have the bow pop back up ready to climb the next hill. I can't imagine the new designs built for downwind long swell sailing enjoying the big waves and short period as much as I did. The deck and crew remained dry which is always a good thing as the temps crashed as you are aware.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat