Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2024, 11:13   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Is the Trent Severn worth it?

I'm planning a vacation with my C&C 30 (5 foot draft) this summer with my wife and two 4 year old kids and would appreciate the help of members of this forum. It would be over 5 weeks in June and July. I've attached a map of the two routes I'm planning and would appreciate input from the group as to which would be better.

The red loop involves motoring along the Trent Severn Canal and the orange loop involves having the boat shipped overland to the Georgian Bay and spending more time along the north coast of Lake Huron before spending time along the Michigan coast or again Northern Lake Huron coast as we head back down to Lake Erie via Detroit.

Essentially I guess I'm asking if the Trent Severn is worth it or if it would be better to go along that north coast. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route options.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	286203  
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 11:54   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Is the Trent Severn worth it?

Emoyeni it is so worth it, we cruised it back in 1997 and loved every minute. I would say it would be even more worth doing with a young family. Lots of visual interest for them, the locks are exciting to traverse, opportunities to get on and off the boat and easy boating. That is a win win when it comes to family cruising.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 12:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
Essentially I guess I'm asking if the Trent Severn is worth it or if it would be better to go along that north coast. Thanks!
The North Shore is well-regarded as a cruising area, and if the choice is between the Trent-Severn OR the North Shore... definitely the latter is better cruising in a sailboat.

I love Ontario cottage country and the larger cottage lakes, and by road we've visited several spots along the Trent-Severn waterway. Trips along it, and also the Rideau, are still on our bucket-list, but I don't know if I would do it in a 30 ft C&C.

So I'm interested too, in hearing from folks who have done the waterway in a 30+ ft keelboat.
Old 11-02-2024, 12:10   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

We cruised the Trent Severen with a Whitby Folkboat, four-foot draft. The mast on the deck was a PIA but still well worth doing.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 13:08   #5

Boat: Beneteau 361

For 5 weeks in June/July with kids, I would take the Trent up and spend some time in southern Georgian Bay while things are warming up further north. Then take a slow cruise up to Killarney and possibly include some North Channel if time allows. Come back to southern GB and truck the boat back if you must...but by that time you may not want to leave.

Skip Huron and Erie, it will be a long, boring and often uncomfortable trip for small kids in a 30ft boat. Georgian Bay on the other hand is amazing for the kids...short distances, good swimming/fishing and many fun places to visit.
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 19:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

With kidlets, I'd say check out the NY State Canal System ...Free locks, 95% free docking, free pumpouts, free festivals (of various types) every weekend in every town, some places with free laundry facilities. we spent 3 months in there last summer and spent $40 on docking. Food is cheaper, booze is cheaper, fuel is cheaper. Check out the Trent prices (especially pumpouts) and compare.

Drop the mast in Oswego and pick it up on the way back

Take a look at ...
Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca
Old 14-02-2024, 07:06   #7

I agree with Skalashn. Skip the long passages. While you are enjoying the drama the kids may, unless they are seasoned sailors, get bored, frightened and seasick. You need easy sailing and short distances.
Good Sailing,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote