Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 03:06   #1

Boat: Kanter 54
Lighthouse 1501, motor, or parts

Hi we need a motor (armature) for our windlass. consider 12 or 24v. anything considered. (have had no luck from Lighthouse)
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:16   #2

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Re: Lighthouse 1501, motor, or parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeamus View Post
Hi we need a motor (armature) for our windlass. consider 12 or 24v. anything considered. (have had no luck from Lighthouse)
No response from Lighthouse for me either. I gave up and bought a Lofrans.

I have a working 12V motor but shipping to Thailand may be costly.

Other parts available for the older 700 series in anyone is interested.

John
Old 03-04-2023, 12:00   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We also installed a Lighthouse 1501 windlass (in 2014).

Two other cruising boats in our area with the same windlass recently (winter 2022) bought new parts from Lighthouse.

One bought a complete new motor for their 25 year old windlass after the foot switch shorted out (in the on position) while they were away from the boat. (Lesson learned; shut off windlass power when not in use...) The other boat had their gypsies refurbished after 15 years of use for 50% of new cost.

Both of these owners worked with Lighthouse over the phone.

BTW, did you know Lighthouse will completely refurbish your windlass for 25% of new cost? Several full time cruisers we know have taken advantage of this offer and were very pleased with their 'new' windlasses after 20+ years of full time use.

In case this is useful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 03-04-2023, 16:44   #4

Yes thanks for the info. We were able to get parts up until last year - the phone was always best but super helpful. The website is still up but no response to email or leaving message on the phone the last few months now.

We really like the windlass its difficult to find another that will fit in to the space
on our boat without a lot of welding and painting and teak. (The motor failed due to an issue in the coupling so abnormal load situation.) We are ok for the time being as our spare motor(the wrong voltage but hanging in) is fitted but the rewind has not worked on the primary.
Old 03-04-2023, 16:45   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I dealt with Lighthouse last year for a new Gypsy. They don't do emails. Best to call them.

Starter or auto electric rebuilder should be able to rewire an armature.

Woops just saw what your post #4. Nevermind.
Scubaseas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 16:46   #6

John,
Thanks. We have a US address in Delaware so no problem for shipping. I'll try you on PM to clarify details and specs.
Old 03-04-2023, 16:49   #7

Yes on the rewind - the guys in Manilla actually had to make and fit a new commutator which was quite impressive work - and rewind but it now overheats and draws too much current - and of course we have moved on to Malaysia so cannot follow up with them.
Old 03-04-2023, 16:52   #8

Quote:
Yes on the rewind - the guys in Manilla actually had to make and fit a new commutator which was quite impressive work - and rewind but it now overheats and draws too much current - and of course we have moved on to Malaysia so cannot follow up with them.
They may have the brush too thick. I'd still try a local rebuilder. If it draws too much it could be the brush is hitting two segments of the armature at the same time Easy to fix with a file. Or the mica is shorted out which a decent rebuilder can fix
Old 03-04-2023, 16:58   #9

Iknow your boat is not the same but my Tayana V42 has a tight fit for the windlass. The V42s seem to use either a Lofrans Tigress or a Lighthouse 1500.

Look at Amazon for "12V DC high torque motor" I was able to find one for my lighthouse but didn't buy it as I was going to pull mine out first. There is a good selection of 550 RPM motors there.
Old 03-04-2023, 17:01   #10

I did wonder if brushes could be hitting two bars as there is some odd marks - they are identical to what was before. A cursory inspection seems that the commutator is in the right place but I will investigate more. Thx
Old 03-04-2023, 17:26   #11

My boat is 2276 miles away but I know lighthouse did not make their own motors. I looked for a direct replacement for the motor on my 1501 windlass and found one without too much time. Sorry all the info is on the boat. There are winch motors that would fit as there are 12 or 24V industrial motors. Like for salt spreaders, agriculture machinery and conveyor belts etc. you might have to make an adapter plate. Look at your motor for any numbers and check the specs. like rpm and HP or watts. just as an example

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081SAL6Q...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 03-04-2023, 17:39   #12

Quote:
I did wonder if brushes could be hitting two bars as there is some odd marks - they are identical to what was before. A cursory inspection seems that the commutator is in the right place but I will investigate more. Thx
Back when you could get tunes off your radio shack cat whisker radio kit, we used to use a thing called a "growler" which vibrated a hack saw blade off the armature while you rotated the armature to find dead spots.

Good luck. Any decent electric winch motor off a car/truck should work if you can't get the one you have sorted out.
Old 03-04-2023, 17:47   #13

Yes have done the ebay amazon serches - there are some std frame motors that are close/may work with an adapter plate. The lighthouse is an odd beast - in its spec thats for sure.
Old 03-04-2023, 17:52   #14

Quote:
Yes have done the ebay amazon serches - there are some std frame motors that are close/may work with an adapter plate. The lighthouse is an odd beast - in its spec thats for sure.
Lewmar makes a 1400W unit that might fit. And Maxwell makes a 1200W one that looks close albeit larger diameter. The neat thing about the 1501 is there is no field. Plus it's all stainless or bronze, etc, I am very sorry to hear they may be gone. If I recall correctly, they wouldn't sell me anything electric for mine. they wanted me to ship it in for refurbishment.

You could always use a drill and a winch bit on the manual drive but it'll be really, really slow...

Maxwell Winches 1200w 12v Replacement Windlass Motor #P12073

Good hunting....
Old 04-04-2023, 10:19   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Supplementing my post #3, above:

Last night I spoke with another cruiser with a Lighthouse 1501 who just received a new gypsy from them.

He indicated Lighthouse is responsive via phone if you call during their normal business hours. The do not do email, and it seems hit and miss with voice mails...

Another cruiser shared he received a new motor for his 25+ year old LH 1501 ~2 months ago. He said it was a bit longer and heavier than the old motor, and of the newer design with the kevlar jacket and waterproof polyurethane boot on the base to protect the wires.

He also said it took LH about 30 days to fulfill his order, as they were waiting for their next batch of motors from the manufacturer.

In hopes you get what you need.

Cheers, Bill

Tags
motor, parts