Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2021, 18:48   #1

Boat: 1973 van de stadt
aries self steering wind vane for sale

For Sale: Aries Model 3 wind vane

We bought this Aries model 3 in 1984 to bring the boat from the UK back to the US. It has been stored in the garage since, and it’s time to start thinning our spares.

Aries is still supported, and you can look at the parts list on the internet. According to the manual, the model 3 is suitable for virtually every type of yacht 28ft up to 55ft L.O.A. Our boat has a tiller, so we never bought the wheel adaptor you would need to mount on your boat for wheel steering.
Our boat has a plumb stern and the Aries was mounted with two tubes and 4 brackets on the deck, just as you see in the installation section at Aries Standard Vane Gear Installation.. .
We are asking $1,500 and free delivery anywhere in WA, OR, and we can meet halfway for our Canadian friends, once the border opens up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	250168   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	250169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	250170   Click image for larger version

Name:	four.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	250171  

spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 16:52   #2

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo
Re: aries self steering wind vane for sale

Hi . It seem to be quite similar to Autohelm scanmar windvane .It's correct ?
thanks
Hernan
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 17:44   #3

Greetings Hernan,

Both systems use the wind vane to guide your boat, no batteries are necessary. When the wind acts on either side of this vane, it tips, transferring this action through the mechanism below to either a rudder or a servo pendulum which acts on the main rudder.

Auto helm uses trim tab on the rudder to steer the boat. I’m not sure auto helm is still in production.

The Aries uses the servo pendulum to adjust a servo rudder. The water flow forces the servo rudder to one side pulling ropes which apply corrective helm to the tiller or wheel. Aries is still supported, and new models are available.
I’m sure other readers can point out more differences and advantages for both models. Both can do the job.

Spotfire
Old 25-12-2021, 08:24   #4

thanks Spotfire .The main difference seems to be the small rudder in the scanmar and botha parts are separated and no wheel connected .
regards and Happy Christmas
Old 28-12-2021, 08:41   #5

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Sorry to give you the bad news, Spitfire, but parts for the UK built Aries are no longer available from Helen Franklin. Some limited parts may still be available from the current builder of Aries in Holland, < https://ariesvanegear.com/ > but the post UK Aries vanes have progressively gone to metric and, unfortunately, the folks at Ariesvanegear don't seem to be particularly interested in continuing support for UK built vanes on which pretty well everything is still in imperial dimensions.

Good luck with the sale. They are great vanes. I have a model 3 on my boat and couldn't be happier with it's performance.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 10:11   #6

Hi Greg,

I met a fellow here a while back, who told me he was able to source bearings, bolts and bushings locally to rebuild his model three. Have you found this to be true in your area?
Old 28-12-2021, 10:54   #7

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotfire View Post
Hi Greg,

I met a fellow here a while back, who told me he was able to source bearings, bolts and bushings locally to rebuild his model three. Have you found this to be true in your area?
Yes and no. My problem here in Spain is that almost everything is metric. I needed new main swivel shaft bushings but Ariesvanegear in Holland. would only sell me the complete rebuild kit for 200 some euros, which I didn't need. Luckily after looking around, I did eventually find them online for a about 2 euros each. I have a rusted tiller kit U-bolt and again Ariesvanegear would only sell me the complete tiller kit for something like 180 euros which I didn't need....so still trying to source that. For anything imperial my best source is the UK as most US retailers will not ship to Spain. Should be a lot easier for you guys in the US as imperial is still standard there and thankfully most of the mechanical parts on the Aries are of standard industrial sizes so should be readily available.

For some issues, a good local machinist or fabricator may be the best way to go....and possibly sometimes even the cheapest.

Dealing with Ariesvanegear was a pain and I finally gave up on them. With the transport cost having gone thru the roof these days, it may not be a great option for you folks in the states either... except for specific items not available elsewhere like a wheel adapter kit or paddle hinge etc.

Good luck.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 16:41   #8

Is this still available?
ELang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 17:14   #9

yes, still available
Old 18-07-2022, 17:15   #10

Hi Spotfire .Long time and covid in the middle .After extensive research ,you are right The Autohelm Scanmar windvane is out of production and is not longer available .Some friends has recomended me your Aries Windvane with the problem that the spare parts are very scarce but they have great perfomance and could fit with my 47 perryketch .
Unfortunately the shipping freight in this time are quite expensive and I'm located south of chile .I need to wait for lower shipping and lower change rate .It's a perfect storm in this country .
Best regards
Hernan
Old 18-07-2022, 17:21   #11

Perhaps you will have someone traveling from EU to meet up with you to transport the vane.

We hear that things should improve in August.
Old 18-07-2022, 18:18   #12

Hi .I hope that and travel to usa could be a good alternative .
I have a cousin in fort Lauderdale that could travel to your location .send me your location and data by a PM please .
thanks for your answer .Best regards
hernan
Old 18-07-2022, 19:28   #13

pm sent
Old 18-07-2022, 20:42   #14

wind vanes were the thing in the old days. Ropes everybloodywhere.
I had a Pommy Auto(wheel)pilot, wich had a secondary mini windvane you could mount on sternrail. I bought 2 x windvanes. and it steered my boats (32ft 8+ ton and 42 ft 17 ton cutters for over 20 yrs. not a problem. Just one wire from vane to wheel.and solar for power. 3 x panels, a wind genny and shaft genny. I could run my radar on standby and proximity alarm overnight too. Furuno 16m. Good for 4+ miles at spreader height, standby every 20mins No crew.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 21:02   #15

Your right Mr Carson vane gears are still popular,

Hats off to Mr Franklin for creating something simple yet so durable, something that you still see in use everywhere you go.

Tags
aries, for sale, sale, self steering, steering, wind, wind vane