Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2024, 09:36   #16

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: Sashimi from freshly caught fish

I am in Hawaii and we eat Ono (Wahoo) Ahi (yellow Fin tuna) and Mahi Mahi (Dorado, Dolphin fish) raw when we catch. We do not eat the Barracuda due to the posssibly of Ciguatera.
Tupaia Wahoo and Barracuda are different fish, Barrracuda are normally found on the reefs and Wahoo are deep water open ocean fish.
Old 27-01-2024, 09:52   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Interesting.

I've had sushi and sashimi a number of times; it's nasty and in the future will only be eaten on a desert island with no possibility of a fire. Just sayin'. People eat raw oysters; I imagine the first attempt was stone age, it was raining, they couldn't light a fire, and either starvation or a dare was involved.

Ceveshi is better.
Old 27-01-2024, 10:00   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I enjoy some fresh sushi and sashimi onboard on occasion. [Typically fresh Alaskan Winter King Salmon.]

I have a commercial fishing friend in Alaska who specializes in wild king salmon for the elite sushi market [Japan]. [A very efficient and labor intensive two person operation.]

He processes onboard [including a chilled water exsanguination] and flash freezes whole fish [10-30+ lbs] within 12 minutes to -40 [°C and °F meet at -40].

He mentioned -40 is a requirement of [If I remember correctly] NOAA- which regulates some fish species and floating seafood processors- and USDA- as well as the specialized foreign market he sells to.

He told me when his catch is unloaded, they take multiple random core samples from whole fish from various levels in his frozen hold, and they better be at least -40 or the catch is no longer $ushi grade…

Our freezer can reach -10 °F, so it is not effective for killing all known pathogens and parasites. I guess I’ll take my chances with the winter kings…

FWIW

Cheers, Bill

PS: I love raw oysters too, and one of the regional oyster farms [which we visit on occasion since they sell on site] opened a retail store on Wrangell Island last year…. Fresh stock year around…
Old 27-01-2024, 10:15   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Tupaia Wahoo and Barracuda are different fish, Barrracuda are normally found on the reefs and Wahoo are deep water open ocean fish.

Yes, my bad, Wahoo is often confused with Barracuda but is easily identifiable.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 10:53   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have caught and eaten raw ahi and ahu, but only the day it was caught. Have used vinegar to make sashimi. Have eaten a big barracuda caught near a Vanuatu island AFTER I asked the locals about it.

I catch and eat Mahi Mahi, but only after cooking it.

Twice I have gotten scombroid poisoning from Mahi, once from a restaurant in Dallas, and once in Manzanillo. Scombroid is a histamine that develops in unrefrigerated fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scombroid_food_poisoning

For me, it was 3 days of vomiting diarrhea, and high fever. Trust me, you do not want to experience it yourself.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish