Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 09:32   #76

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

A super fund site is a location that has been so incredibly polluted that it is unusable to anyone for anytime soon. The fund part is where we the citizens get to pay to clean up the waste 'externalized' by the previous corporate enterprise. See as an example, Detroit. I was offered the Fells Naphtha building in Phila. For free! It was a bad deal after finding out it was a super fund nightmare. The corporate structures in our fair land have externalized their cost onto the stake holders for damn near a couple of centuries and now the bill is coming due. The share holders are thrilled, in the short haul. But we're all f---ed in the long haul. And all of it is caused by that imaginary, made up, fabricated, non-thing called the economy. Go figure.
Old 25-08-2013, 10:17   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

On commercial fishing one practice that I think is particularly destructive to the environment is shrimping. You drag giant, weighted nets across the bottom, destroying everything in it's path and usually bringing up a huge by-catch that is tossed back into the ocean dead.
Old 25-08-2013, 15:58   #78

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Thanks for the Info,

All countrys have them, Sites that are polluted, We have them too,

Its slowly being cleaned up here, Its still a long way to go,

Asbestos is every where here, Its also banned,
Old 27-08-2013, 18:55   #79
cruiser

maybe they trying to create mutant swarms of propellor chasing three eyed dogfish in the worlds toilet?
Old 28-08-2013, 06:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
During World War Two the prevailing attitude of "by any means necessary" meant that the environment took a back seat to war production. This was the case through the seventies when corporations dumped PCBs, Dioxin, and pretty much whatever they wanted in the water without consequence. In response to the environmental movement of the seventies the "Superfund" legeslation was enacted by congress in 1980 to fund clean-up of industrial pollution, as well as the "Clean Water Act" to stop people from dumping.

The result of these laws is that the water is cleaner than it was, sadly they will never be what they were. Do to the risk of dispersing said nasty chemicals through dedging, they remain in place in mainy waterways trapped in a black petroleum sludge on the bottom preventing the reintroduction of native species.

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's really sad to talk to people in their eighties where I live now, and have them describe what our waters looked like back then.

I was reading an article by Thor Heyerdahl where he talked about how much more ocean pollution he saw in his Ra trips (1969 and 1970) than he did in the Kon-Tiki trip (1947).

Oh, well, it will all go back to normal after we have killed ourselves off.
Old 28-08-2013, 06:20   #81

Boat: none(fornow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It's really sad to talk to people in their eighties where I live now, and have them describe what our waters looked like back then.

I was reading an article by Thor Heyerdahl where he talked about how much more ocean pollution he saw in his Ra trips (1969 and 1970) than he did in the Kon-Tiki trip (1947).

I've watched History Channels "Life after People" they had one segment when they said that within 100 years of our extinction life in the seas would return to or be close to the same population levels as they were before we started over harvesting from the seas. Of course the man made trash will float around in the Pacific garbage patch for many 100's of years before it completely disintegrates.
Old 28-08-2013, 07:09   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Hate to say it, but I sort of consider most of those people of that generation responsible for the crappy environment I inherited. The other day coming home I was walking down the dock and I saw an aged man with what must have been his grandson along the walkway surrounding our marina.

As I walked past I watched him fold a piece of paper into an airplane which in turn threw directly into the water. Of course I confronted him, asking why he just littered in the water.

He laughingly assured me that he and his grandson had made an airplane which simply had "crashed" into the water. To which I replied that he had most certainly and deliberately littered.

His reply "well you are welcome to pick it up!"

I called him an ******* and he walked away chuckling to himself, I think a little taken aback.

Sorry, but at the risk of offending some older forum members here who may have been responsible stewards of their environment, old people suck. Thanks for nothing.
Old 28-08-2013, 10:57   #83
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
trouble is were worse than cockroaches. not easy to get rid of

dave
Old 28-08-2013, 17:28   #84

Boat: O'Day 28
Thumbs down Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

Quote:
Hate to say it, but I sort of consider most of those people of that generation responsible for the crappy environment I inherited.

... I called him an ******* and he walked away chuckling to himself, I think a little taken aback.

As you will learn (when you get some big boy pants), folks don't chuckle when they are taken aback.

Sorry, but at the risk of offending some older forum members here who may have been responsible stewards of their environment, old people suck. Thanks for nothing.

I really doubt you're sorry for the snarky remark.

I take your point but you, sir, would be off base in Little League. Lemme know in 20 or 30 or 40 years how much of a positive impact you had in your life.

Old 28-08-2013, 17:35   #85

pirate Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
trouble is were worse than cockroaches. not easy to get rid of

dave

Dave,

Since I'm already pissed off: You generally present yourself as such an expert on virtually everything, how about showing the CF world some expertise in punctuation, capitalization and so forth and so on, Cap?
Old 28-08-2013, 17:57   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
[/I]

I really doubt you're sorry for the snarky remark.

I take your point but you, sir, would be off base in Little League. Lemme know in 20 or 30 or 40 years how much of a positive impact you had in your life.

yawn....

.....you start a thread wondering where all the fish have gone and end up taking sides with a guy who throws trash in the water? Old man, that's real special.

You know what? I'm not sorry for the snarky remark. Guess Ill go back to spending the next 40 years of my life cleaning up the mess the greatest generation left behind. Thanks a bunch!
Old 28-08-2013, 18:21   #87

Thumbs down Re: Plenty of Fish in the Sea?

Quote:
yawn....

.....you start a thread wondering where all the fish have gone and end up taking sides with a guy who throws trash in the water? Old man, that's real special.

You know what? I'm not sorry for the snarky remark. Yeah, no ****.

Guess Ill go back to spending the next 40 years of my life cleaning up the mess the greatest generation left behind. Thanks a bunch!

Ah, reading comprehension. Try it.

I don't agree with the guy throwing trash in the water, nor have I ever seen (in 71 years!) anyone make a paper airplane and throw it straight down.

You made that part up to embellish your point.

All of us have had to clean up the messes left by others.

You will see that superior attitude ground down by life itself sir.

Having fathered 3 children, I know that I cannot win this argument with you.

Let me close with a thought that rhymes with duck poo.
Old 28-08-2013, 19:41   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Ah, reading comprehension. Try it.

I don't agree with the guy throwing trash in the water, nor have I ever seen (in 71 years!) anyone make a paper airplane and throw it straight down.

You made that part up to embellish your point.

All of us have had to clean up the messes left by others.

You will see that superior attitude ground down by life itself sir.

Having fathered 3 children, I know that I cannot win this argument with you.

Let me close with a thought that rhymes with duck poo.
Brilliant! I can't think of a single greedier or more selfish act than having children and you had three of them. You're clearly a part of the solution and not the problem. Enjoy your retirement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	66146  
Old 28-08-2013, 21:27   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Guys, play nice in the sand pit please .

Thread closed.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Closed Thread

Tags
fish