Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 06:15   #121

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ?

MJ,

I read most of your older posts this morning and enjoyed them. Sailing, humor and travel. Everything a good story needs. I'll be checking out your new site soon.

Mike
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 06:30   #122

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

I wrote letters to my mother which Ana posted to a blog page ... we have many friends following our journey around the world and where possible we include information, including certain information such as hair dressers Ana uses in locations, certain costs etc for cruisers who perhaps have not yet been to some of the regions we have ... very new as we have only recently embarked on our journey ... we are Impi
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 22:02   #123

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Sorry about that ... didnt think anyone wanted to really look at our blog from the forum ... was told it is not working properly but we have now fixed that one ... our attempted boarding by sea robbers is under 07 January 2012 ... Impi .. Hope it works now !
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:17   #124

I've been writing for a blog that covers everything Nautical. I recently wrote about a boat builder in who is starting to construct a modern day Tall Ship in time for the next America's Cup. I also wrote about the Sausalito Lighted Boat Parade which is a really cool holiday event. Please take a look. There is always more content on the way and if you have any ideas for a story or interview, please contact me. I love to write.

http://www.blog.bloosee.com
ColinBlooSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 20:27   #125

Boat: too many

Mine is a 3 in 1 forum. Main forum for the t-bucket hot rod, 2nd part for family care givers, 3rd is sailboat cruiser forum (sorry about the name power boaters, but your welcome also). Will be one year old in two days. 9,000+ posts. It is my signature.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 04:39   #126
Armchair Bucketeer

Just moved my Website to Google Sites (Free and no Google Ads!).....along the way expanded it somewhat, albeit still more about the Seadog 30 boats in general than my own - the old version seems to have gone down well with prospective buyers . (Seadogs are not a boat well represented on the Internet ).

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.com/seadog/home-1

Will probably add something about the Refurb - once complete . But at the the moment too busy (and lazy?) to keep updating a Blog

Still a bit more tweeking to do on the Website , but never to early to start spamming .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:25   #127

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

mine: Chili and Chip go cruising
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:31   #128

Boat: 2003 Nordic Tug 32+

Just started- https://sailingsereno.wordpress.com
gmcairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:32   #129

Boat: Ohlson 38

I started a blog at my wife's urging, but I haven't added anything for a long time. Mainly because I'm selfish and can't be bothered with the work of updating the blog in order to share the adventure.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 13:19   #130
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

It's especially helpful to followers when one has a specialty such as boat brand, cruising area or, in my case, expertise in provisioning, recipes and food preservation. Blogs about "me 'n Joe done this, then me 'n Joe went there" get boring to post, boring to read.
Old 26-01-2012, 14:21   #131

Boat: Union Polaris 36

Unless... "Me n' Joe" are good looking, and doing "this" is awesome, and going "there" is inspiring. The best blogs are entertaining, each of us have our definition of entertainment, and each of us have our own level of ability to entertain.

Some may say that blogs on provisioning is boring, because most cruising is done within a days sail of a restaurant. Some may say that maintenance blogs are boring because they pay someone to do all their work. Others definitely see the opposing views.

To each their own. I find the blogs about people with little expertise to be the best, because they tend to answer most of the questions people have through anecdotal evidence of their lack of expertise.

I think everyone has an opportunity with blogging to communicate what they want in their own way, and if you don't like it, don't read it.

Or b*tch about it on a forum... whatever.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:09   #132

Boat: Gib sea 43

just started as well

Nic and Steve sailing around the world.: January 2012
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:25   #133
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
It's especially helpful to followers when one has a specialty such as boat brand, cruising area or, in my case, expertise in provisioning, recipes and food preservation. Blogs about "me 'n Joe done this, then me 'n Joe went there" get boring to post, boring to read.
I agree with you that many (most?) Blogs are rather dull - pretty much like being shown someone's holiday snaps, all 100 of them .....but others will have different opinions - the internet tail is very long.

And certainly, as you say, having a niche (even if not unique) helps to attract people (if you have good info on the site) - but I think the "secret" is to not really care about how many folks read them (unless making money out of).....it's what works primarily for you and maybe also a few freinds / family / associates.

The reason for my Website was simply that the Seadog 30 was not well represented online (only 140 built - and most owners seem to be older and therefore non-internet capable).....and I simply wanted to post up info (and pics) that would have been of use to me when buying. Plus I figure that if I ever sell having some info on the internet would help in moving the Seadog 30 from "wot dat?" to a known quantity.

Although perhaps having pictures on the Website of semi naked women demonstrating an imaginative use of vegetables might not represent the typical Seadog 30 ownership .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 02:28   #134

Boat: Gib sea 43

aye well sex sells, we all know that!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 05:06   #135
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I love the idea of a blog on sail bags and other narrow topics that establish the blogger as the go-to person for that specialty. This is a service to readers and probably also the wisest way to monetize a blog.

Tags
boat