Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Website or Blog for your boat?
Website 125 42.66%
Blog 144 49.15%
Want to know how to do one 36 12.29%
Too Lazy 23 7.85%
Like to keep it private 27 9.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 12:32   #106

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website ?

We will enjoy having these great new sources of entertainment to get us through another cold, snowy winter in Wisconsin. Keep them coming.

Mike and Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:06   #107

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker

I don't have a boat, but have a blog about the dream! Not frequently updated recently - but I do have a list of 150+ blogs I used to track. Here's that link - should be enough reading to keep everybody busy for a while

From Land to Live Aboard: The Best Blog List!!
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 15:22   #108

Boat: Beneteau 473
I've been saying I need to start a blog, this thread inspired me to start one today. We have family that are not quite comfortable with our plan to go cruising. I thought a blog would help some feel more at ease.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/smartmoveadventures/

I was a little intimidated at first, but picked it easily.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:08   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove
I've been saying I need to start a blog, this thread inspired me to start one today. We have family that are not quite comfortable with our plan to go cruising. I thought a blog would help some feel more at ease.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/smartmoveadventures/

I was a little intimidated at first, but picked it easily.
Well the hard part is done. You set it up and you are off and running. Ours will be a joint effort with Brenda and I posting whenever inspiration hits. Keeping our family and friends up to date will hopefully help them understand our dream.

Post away - we'll be checking it out.

Mike and Brenda
Old 16-01-2012, 15:03   #110

Boat: Union Polaris 36

hey, i started a blog a few months ago leading up to our departure in a few weeks. We're young (mid late 20's) and have set ourselves up with some decent media equipment to share some pics and video. After spending years reading other's blogs while my wife and I have worked towards our goal, I thought i'd create a blog to inspire more young people to get out there, buy a boat and live out their dream. We're hands on, so there will e lots of cooking, fishing, exploring, oh and actually sailing.

Anyways i digress. Have a look if you're interested.

You, Me, and the D

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:42   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed
hey, i started a blog a few months ago leading up to our departure in a few weeks. We're young (mid late 20's) and have set ourselves up with some decent media equipment to share some pics and video. After spending years reading other's blogs while my wife and I have worked towards our goal, I thought i'd create a blog to inspire more young people to get out there, buy a boat and live out their dream. We're hands on, so there will e lots of cooking, fishing, exploring, oh and actually sailing.

Anyways i digress. Have a look if you're interested.

You, Me, and the D
Wish we had started our journey toward cruising when we were young. Oh well, I bet we can have fun anyway.
Old 18-01-2012, 21:04   #112

SVexodus blog started off because our trip log kept getting deleted from our sailing groups site. So as not to loose the trip log, I created our own on google because I already had an account. There are many things that I like and a few that I do not especially when the video or slideshow I created, cannot be seen on our ipad...

The Blog has become my post it note space. All the notes, lectures, and research on boating, health, cooking, dogs, etc that I had done over the years are now there. Throwing all the notes and recipe sheets away. I love google docs; I can post those as pdf and never worry about loosing them, getting wet, or attracting bugs.

I love to research things once. Now I have a go to site to find what I need, and if a linked to site goes down there is always webarchive.org.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:51   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
SVexodus blog started off because our trip log kept getting deleted from our sailing groups site. So as not to loose the trip log, I created our own on google because I already had an account. There are many things that I like and a few that I do not especially when the video or slideshow I created, cannot be seen on our ipad...

The Blog has become my post it note space. All the notes, lectures, and research on boating, health, cooking, dogs, etc that I had done over the years are now there. Throwing all the notes and recipe sheets away. I love google docs; I can post those as pdf and never worry about loosing them, getting wet, or attracting bugs.

I love to research things once. Now I have a go to site to find what I need, and if a linked to site goes down there is always webarchive.org.
We had the same problem with our videos not showing on iPads even though they worked fine on PC's. We found that we had to use YouTube video in order to see it on both. We also use Blogsy on our iPAD for creating and posting which helps.

Mike and Brenda
Old 19-01-2012, 08:58   #114

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'
Re: How Many Have a Boat Blog or Website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrmyhead View Post
I started one when we decided we were going. Just got to pv yesterday to get the boat ready for the family. Hopefully we'll be off in Jan so it gets more interesting than "still tied up, boats still a mess" LOL
Run For The Border
We all made it to PV! Still at the marina but hopefully not for long
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:21   #115

Boat: Catalina 34
Keep 'em coming! You can never have enough reading material in the deep of winter.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:00   #116

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene

Well the hard part is done. You set it up and you are off and running. Ours will be a joint effort with Brenda and I posting whenever inspiration hits. Keeping our family and friends up to date will hopefully help them understand our dream.

Post away - we'll be checking it out.

Mike and Brenda
The hard part is done! I am so looking forward to this next phase of our lives! As we start the transition out of our current life, not many understand -- most think we are crazy, others think we are doomed to die. This blog, in part, for me, is to prove to those people that you can live what you dream. Our kids just think we rock and brag to their friends about what inspirational parents we are. We'll be watching your posts too!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 03:44   #117

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

There are already too many boat blogs and webpages out there. Many are boring and tedious. We do not want to add to the tedium. So we have a CLOSED Facebook group where we upload our own stuff and allow a few selected people to look.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 06:06   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
There are already too many boat blogs and webpages out there. Many are boring and tedious. We do not want to add to the tedium. So we have a CLOSED Facebook group where we upload our own stuff and allow a few selected people to look.
I agree there are a lot of sailing blogs out there. Some are a pure pleasure to read and some are a waste of time. Personally I get great enjoyment in reading them as I always seem to come away with a new idea, a chuckle, or greater respect for the power of the oceans. Book mark the ones you enjoy and ignore the ones you don't.

If the only people who read ours are family and friends that is ok. We will still end up with one truly awesome scrapbook to show the future grandchildren.

Mike and Brenda
Old 20-01-2012, 12:18   #119

Boat: Haida 26

We're finally building our blog. I quess it's about time. Now all I have to do is tell the story. Will take a little time, but at least it's up...Michael..

http://voyagesoftherubyjean.blogspot.com
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:27   #120

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I started a blog on sailblogs for our last sailboat, S/V Journey
When we got our current boat, I wanted to expand what I could do with blogging. I still wanted it free, (I'm a sailboat owner, of course I wanted it free!) I wanted to be able to link or post more photos/ videos, plus make it easier for my readers to keep up with our adventures.
I went with blogger, and like all the options I have with the new site, Follow the Journey: Home
In addition, I added a facebook page for the boat, which enables me to link direct to a new post. This keeps readers from having to return time and again to the main blogger site, only to find out that there may not be a new post.
Since starting the facebook site, I have found that I post more to it, with "mini" updates, quips and miscellaneous information for the readers. I "post" each new blog post there, with a link, and I get much more traffic as well as many more comments on the facebook page. I'd love to have any of you here who have a facebook account to run over and click "like" on it, as I am trying to get my reader numbers higher. And please leave feedback! When we are actively cruising, I love to hear from our readers, makes me know I'm not just rambling for the heck of it! Here's the facebook page link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Follo...91880427497743
Thanks! MJ (Martha, on Journey)
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat