Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What best describes the fishing you conduct while cruising?
We don't fish while cruising 10 9.90%
We fish casually when the opportunity presents itself 65 64.36%
We make a serious effort to catch fish and usually have all we can eat 23 22.77%
Sport fishing is a major part of our cruising activities 7 6.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 10:20   #61

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Do you fish while cruising?

Mackerel & Calamari caught off Rocinante while in Provincetown, MA.
Broiled, Fried & made into a Portuguese style stew!

I realize a lot of folks simply consider these bait, but they are delicious!

Question, for those of you with teak decks... how do you handle the blood, fish goo, etc.? I jumped through hoops to keep these little guys from getting all over the place, don’t know what I would do with a “real” fish!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AABFD12-C54D-4ED6-B836-34F7D4FEBA82.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	190214  
Old 28-05-2019, 03:56   #62

i love to do fishing while cruising, my kids always got happy when we catch some barracuda, mahi and snorkel,Fresh mackerel are super in season, easy to catch and fun for those that don't even fish.
stephanie9766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 05:27   #63

Never really been sea fishing but will be doing a Trans-Atlantic next November from Canary Islands to Antigua and fresh fish is going to be needed so a bit of advice required.

My guess was using a 7ft Boat rod and cheapish fixed spool reel with 30lb line and plain silver lures 2-3" long trolled 10m back. Sound about right?

Also, what am I likely to catch crossing the Atlantic and is there anything not to eat?

Thanks
Knock-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 05:45   #64

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-on View Post
Never really been sea fishing but will be doing a Trans-Atlantic next November from Canary Islands to Antigua and fresh fish is going to be needed so a bit of advice required.

My guess was using a 7ft Boat rod and cheapish fixed spool reel with 30lb line and plain silver lures 2-3" long trolled 10m back. Sound about right?

Also, what am I likely to catch crossing the Atlantic and is there anything not to eat?

Thanks
I'd go shorter on the rod for easier maneuvering (I have a 5' and 5.5'), heavier on the line (I use 40#), and at least twice as far back from the boat. You really don't need a rod and reel; I have fished with 1/4" cord attached to 30' of 100# (which connects to leader and lure) on one end and to 2 bicycle tubes on the boat end. Use tape or a rubber band to hold cord to stern pulpit and when fish hits it breaks the tape/rubber band to engage the bicycle tubes which stretches nicely to absorb shock. Head up (or down) to slow boat and wear gloves when you bring fish it. If I sense something big I furl my headsail before battle.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:01   #65

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne hoath View Post

+1 for this book and if you are fishing for food, would set up the Cuban yo-yo(s) as described in the book. The rod and very good reel can be fun (more for sport), while the yo-yo is inexpensive and simple. If its a big fish on a yo-yo, let it drag in the water to wear it out before you try to get it in the boat

30# test will be fairly light and you will want a very good leader otherwise it will easily be cut off.

The shiny spoons can work, but you may want to add some surface type plugs. A ballyhoo rig is also good to have and then use any flying fish (instead of ballyhoo) you may find on the deck.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:35   #66

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

We’d fill the ice box pretty early on in a trip, especially in Gulf Stream. Near shore the Spanish are a favorite and take much longer to fill the cooler than a few gaffer mahi filets.

We used an old 5’ (I think) rod and senator reel. Fresh ballyhoo when possible. Fake when not.

It was just too easy when traversing hundreds of miles at trolling speed. There’s no backing down under sail though!

Too busy to find pics right now.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:41   #67

Baitcaster vs Spinning Real. Two different tools used for completely different purposes. Each shines in its intended purpose. It has no bearing on experience. A truly experienced fisherman carries both and understands when to use each.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 06:56   #68

Boat: Southcoast 36

I was a mad keen sports fisherman before getting a yacht. When we are cruising fishing is an almost daily activity but the focus is more food related than sport now as well as being a great way to explore the surroundings.

Not a big fan of trolling while under way but we still do it. Haven't managed to find a hassle free way to manage the blood and guts aboard in the landing and filleting process - Im a bit clean fussy. Deck wash is on the plan so that should help. Generally will troll before reaching an anchorage so we can fillet ashore if we have a win.

Not to say that I still don't enjoy the sport aspect but more often than not its catch what we want for a feed and release the rest. Fishing, crabbing, oystering, squidding, shellfish collecting - whatever is available and fresh. Fresh is best. We have ability to cryovac and freeze if we get something larger but much prefer to get what we can eat in one or two meals.

One beauty of cruising to me is the ability to access remote areas where the fishing is better than average. Spoils me for areas where you need to work for fish.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 07:27   #69

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

We carry poles and handlines. For pelagic fish (Mahi, tuna, wahoo, etc.) we consistently land more with the handlines than the poles.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 07:35   #70

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Fishopedia is pretty good
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 08:05   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-on View Post

Thanks
Short stout rod. Heavy simple reel.
At lease 50 lb test
Weighted rubber squid 6" long or more. Blue, silver, green etc
Silver lures are fine also... but big!
Eventually I had very large hooks. Like 1.5"-2" throat, tip to shank or more.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 08:33   #72

Blimey, a wealth of opinion and ideas. Thanks ✅
Knock-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 08:45   #73

Always drag two hand-lines

Feather or rubber jig , 2-3 boat lengths Dacron rope with a 10 meter mono leader

Use small jigs , tuna go back into the sea , only keep lampuga for eating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCE66244-4151-432E-9F07-985F06EE27BF.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	213966  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 09:48   #74

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
We carry poles and handlines. For pelagic fish (Mahi, tuna, wahoo, etc.) we consistently land more with the handlines than the poles.

Agree with the handlines. Easier to stow and bring in a fish. 100 feet of blue or black para chute cord, 20 ft of heavy leader(150lbs or more) a swivel and a lure of some sort(SS jet head with skirts or a cedar plug). I'll put some thick walled surgical tubing at the boat end of the cord, so when a fish strikes it'll stretch and absorb the shock. Good luck, happy eating...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 10:11   #75

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Always drag two hand-lines

Feather or rubber jig , 2-3 boat lengths Dacron rope with a 10 meter mono leader

Use small jigs , tuna go back into the sea , only keep lampuga for eating

The mahi is good, but we like some variety, so we also keep tuna and mackerel.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fish