Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2022, 05:21   #46

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Catching Fish while Sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Did any one post about breaking lines? No, because it really does not happen if you use large enough line. Read post 32. The line is the shock absorber. Try it.

If the fish is large enough that 20-40 feet of line stretch is not enough (over 100 pounds), stretch alone won't be enough, you will need a reel with an adjustable drag and all that. But what are you going to do with a fish that big anyway (too much to eat)?
I understand that this works for you, but my experience was that every fish hooked managed to jerk free when we had no snubber. Once I added a stretch of shock cord, I lost a lot less fish. Plus the stretching (with metal shackle) works as a fish on bell
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 06:07   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Put boat in to irons and land the fish. Too easy for the fish to get away otherwise.

Fish caught on long passages are usually Mahi mahi or Tuna. A successful catch is always a highlight for crew.
Similar: if its gonna be a big fight, I just heave to until its done. More stable, no flailing sails, no rush.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 06:08   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I've given it up.

You never catch the right fish. You think "Bit of sashimi would be nice", throw the line in and a damned mackerel will grab it and you end up going without the sashimi and then having to eat a freezer full of mackerel for the next two months (Single hander and some of the mackerel in northern Queensland have to be seen to be believed)
Depends on venue. Caribbean Mackerel are quite nice for sashimi. Pacific Mackerel are too intense for me.
Old 30-01-2022, 06:10   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I understand that this works for you, but my experience was that every fish hooked managed to jerk free when we had no snubber. Once I added a stretch of shock cord, I lost a lot less fish. Plus the stretching (with metal shackle) works as a fish on bell
With no snubber on smaller fish, Ive had it rip thru the jaw or just take the jaw with it. Result: one mangled fish that is going to die and no dinner.
Old 30-01-2022, 08:34   #50

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
While it pales compared to the salt water 'anglers' I've caught trout and salmon off the boat in Lake Michigan, and even equipped one sailboat with a single downrigger. Trolling speeds for these fish already quite low so, on calmer days I will drag a couple of lines behind and drop the 'cannon ball'. Generally when the fish strikes, I try to keep some way on to keep pressure on the fish. I also use a net, with the longest handle extension I could find, instead of a gaff. In the northern reaches of the lake we fish over the side for perch, walleye, as well as trout and salmon.
Well you’re way ahead of me. I’ve trolled freshwater for salmon, musky, pike, and at perfect depth for smallmouth. I’ve never had a single hit. From the dinghy sure, but while sailing, zilch.
Old 30-01-2022, 08:43   #51

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well you’re way ahead of me. I’ve trolled freshwater for salmon, musky, pike, and at perfect depth for smallmouth. I’ve never had a single hit. From the dinghy sure, but while sailing, zilch.

You are probably sailing too fast.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:05   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Some fish hit the bait/lure at high speed and can peel off a 100 yards in a blink of an eye...so having plenty of line capacity is important. Tiring the fish out is often the only way you'll bring one to the boat. Patience is key.

Other fish have really soft mouths and if line tension is too tight, can rip the hook out without a problem....while it may sound contrary, very low drag on the reel is key while trolling. Drag can always be adjusted once the fish is on.

Fish size is also a factor...any fish over 30 lbs can be considered a " big" fish....some fish are not easily subdued either...a 30 lb fish is usually about 4' long.

You can rest assured the only way to bring a 30 lb plus fish aboard is with a gaff. A gaff cannot define which is toe and which is fish, so have a plan in mind. You need a gaff with a long handle to reach down and gaff the fish and also to deposit the fish away from your feet.

Some fish have a mouthful of sharp teeth, something to be considered. A steel leader is a must. Removing a hook from a toothy fish is best done with a metal tool. Using your hand or fingers will be a recipe for some pain.

Cleaning a fish on the back of your boat, will almost always be a messy business, especially so with a big fish. Double messy with tuna's as they are prolific bleeders. Cleaning up afterwards is key to remove that fishy smell which can be nauseating.

A 30lb fish can provide about 15 lbs of fillets....considering that about 1/2 lb is a meal size for most...a 30 lb fish can provide meals for some time.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 09:08   #53
Marine Service Provider

I forgot to add, placing the gaff correctly on the fish is also important. This might take some practice. Avoid the gut shots, aim for a place near the gills.
Old 30-01-2022, 15:25   #54

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Good question, interesting replies. I never seem to catch anything when doing less than 5kts. Best results at 7kts and above. Hauling a fish in under those conditions is a challenge I normally lose.

Next time I am going to try heaving-to. This should mean hauling the fish in on the beam or even the bow. So, less likely to get the line wrapped around a prop or rudder. Landing the fish might be more difficult but a long-handled gaff might be OK.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 16:03   #55

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I find a long handled dip net (the large size around 3’ + diameter) usually lands far more fish in the boat than the gaff does, but it depends what you’re catching.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 05:20   #56

Boat: Feeling 44 DI

We are facing a global extinction crisis. Most ocean fish stocks have collapsed or are about to, particularly these pelagic fish caught by trolling.

I read somewhere recently that we are now hunting the last 3 percent of ocean life.

Perhaps, if anyone is to care about the oceans, it should be us, who live upon them. It should be us who choose not to contribute to this destruction.
Markb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 05:38   #57
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ Everyone on this thread seems to be a food fisherman, not a sport fisherman. Very little waste.

As for the specifics of method, it depends on what you are targeting. I troll at 3-8 knots, depending on the type of fish and water temperature. Lines can vary from 25-120 pounds. Depth varies and lures vary. Landing method varies; for example, my boats have had either large swim platforms or a low, open transom.

Lots of ideas, but also ask the locals.
Old 31-01-2022, 05:44   #58

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb250 View Post
We are facing a global extinction crisis. Most ocean fish stocks have collapsed or are about to, particularly these pelagic fish caught by trolling.

I read somewhere recently that we are now hunting the last 3 percent of ocean life.

Perhaps, if anyone is to care about the oceans, it should be us, who live upon them. It should be us who choose not to contribute to this destruction.
Do you really believe that the few cruisers catching fish make a difference?

According to https://ourworldindata.org/fish-over...ild-fish-catch

There is about 95million (!!!) tonnes of fish catched worldwide per year.

I'd guess that the global community of cruisers who fish responsibly to feed themselves and not for commercial gain is not fishing more than about a couple hundred tons per year.

I'm excluding folks who fish for "fun" (game fishing) in this number.
Old 31-01-2022, 06:35   #59
Marine Service Provider

In my of arsenal boats, I also have a fishing boat and often fish with guys that are very knowledgeable about this sport. It's an expensive sport. Gas for the day can run $400. Special bait considerations can add another $100, plus ice, and expensive fishing gear, etc, etc.

You might get an opportunity to go out less than a dozen times a year.

On top of all this, there is not guarantee you'll catch anything at all. Fishery management is everywhere, size limits, catch limits, seasonal fishing limits, no catch fish, bad weather, etc, etc.

I really don't think the recreational fisherman makes a dent in the fish population.

Folks that troll a fishing line behind their boat, are far and few between and they might represent 1% of the recreational fisherman.
Old 31-01-2022, 08:37   #60

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb250 View Post

It really depends on the species. I suspect that most caught by sailboats dragging a line will be quite plentiful. There are lots of resources out there for determining the sustainability of the species (https://seafood.edf.org is one, but targeted toward shopping versus fishing).

Self-caught fast-growing species like yellowtail are, from an environmental point of view, pretty close to veganism I think.
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, sail, sailing