Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 11:58   #31

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Catching Fish while Sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
I'm curious how you go about smoking them. I love smoked fish and being able to do it on the boat would be fantastic. (I have a smoker, but would need a bigger dinghy to bring it along )

Gary,
We use the Magma gas grill and place a aluminum foil (heavy gauge) package under the grill rack near the flame filled with wet/soaked wood chips. After we get the wood chips smoking, turn the flame low and add fish.
It does cook faster than your normal smoker, but the smokey taste is still there nonetheless.

Trying not to make it too complicated, if your grill is still too hot, adding a metal bowl w/water to create steam helps slow down the cooking process. (My old home smoker had this water option and had a second grate over the steam/water bath. This was even better).
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:03   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

iam cursed like
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:39   #33

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

I have only ever had one decent hook-up with anything of size, and was single handing at the time. I just hove to as soon as I realised it was going to spool me otherwise (tacked immediately, but left the headsail backed to park the boat with the helm to windward).
As I got it closer to the boat it would take a loop around the keel and take off again. Drag running, rod to holder and either tack the headsail or steer downwind according to which way he went around the keel.
It took me over an hour (into darkness) to make a mistake, turn the boat the wrong way and break it off. Still have no idea what it was.
It was blowing like stink at the time - maybe 30 knots, and interestingly, about an hour after that sea rescue turned up to my roadstead anchorage under the nearby cliffs saying that they had received a report of a yacht matching my description in apparent distress! The whole team had turned out to steam 20 miles down the coast in a storm in the middle of the night to see if anyone needed help - all good humoured too, bless em. Only sorry I couldnt answer their question of what it was that I had hooked
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 14:36   #34

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Need something to absorb the initial shock, like a rod or bungee, need warning that fish is on, like clicker on reel or wrap line around winch in the cw direction. If small fish just pull it in, speed reduction for a bigger fish & if I'm hungry. I usually dangle a silver spoon, they can land many fish, but paying for beautiful lures on the other line can reduce the profit margin. Set lines different depth if you set 2, change lures every few hours.
Old 28-01-2022, 14:58   #35

Depends on fish size. But yeah, slow the boat down as much as possible for me. Lose less fish that way.
It's not the line strength , it's how soft the fishes mouth is or how well hooked he is.
I went from hand line to stout rod and reel due to catching too many "fish heads".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patmahi2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	252078  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 15:54   #36

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

Benz and Thinwater know best.
I was a mackarel fisherman in North Queensland for three years and then trolling a lure behind my yacht for 14 years.
I never slow down to haul in a fish.
The speed of the boat tires the fish as it is being towed.
Sometimes the fish are exhausted before I notice them on the trolling rig.
The speed of the boat keeps the fish on the hook. Keep them moving and dont allow any slack in the line which allows them to jump off the hook (especially Dorado).
Use a freestyle, hand over hand, motion and just swing the fish into the cockpit. Donger it on the head and cut its throat to allow the blood to exit.
Use 80 lb trace, swivel, bowden cable, barrell swivel, braided twine and hand crank 10 reel with a drag adjustment and a break. Some fis are 60 lbs + and no
fun when hit by a 1/2 ton shark.
Tulku Tim.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 16:28   #37
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Need something to absorb the initial shock, like a rod or bungee....

A common misunderstanding.

The rod will bend perhaps 2 feet.

150 feet of 100-pound mono will stretch 20 feet with a 20 pound hit, 10 feet with a 10-pound hit. The rod bend is a rounding error.

I've been holding a hand line (Cuban yoyo)when a 35-pound striper hit at 6 knots. I felt the weight, but no impact. Just lots of stretch.

A clip helps notice the strike. You many not hear the "click," but you will hear the yoyo bounce around and hit the rail.
Old 28-01-2022, 16:36   #38

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Gary,
We use the Magma gas grill and place a aluminum foil (heavy gauge) package under the grill rack near the flame filled with wet/soaked wood chips. After we get the wood chips smoking, turn the flame low and add fish.
It does cook faster than your normal smoker, but the smokey taste is still there nonetheless.

Thanks Bill O

Sent you a PM so's not to hijack the thread.
Old 28-01-2022, 17:28   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Ah, a topic after my heart....

For the first 10 years or so, I was not a fisherman per se....like most yachties, I dragged the obligatory lure behind my boat. My gear.....rod, reel and line, were basically a Walmart special, ie, the cheapest thing I could find. My lures followed suit. They were permanently mounted on the line, and after a period of years, they looked like tattered rags. My hooks were rusted beyond recognition.

Nonetheless, these I would drag behind my boat without much thought. Fishing was more like "wishing and hoping". I did catch fish sporadically, but there was no telling when or where. I knew little about fish and couldn't name any species if my life dependent on it. Days, even weeks would go by without a single bite.

Then I lucked into a hard core fisherman, who, after looking at my gear, spent at least 30 minutes laughing his arse off and then took pity on me.

What followed was a crash course in the " art of fishing". Everything matters....everything...the rod...the reel...the line...the drag....the lure...how far back...how deep...etc..etc..etc...

It's too much to explain here, but it would behove any yachtie to befriend a hard core fisherman to teach you the ropes. It's a complicated science that cannot be learned in one day, let alone on this forum.

Suffice it to say, after spending some $$ on the "correct" gear....my catch rate skyrocketed......indeed, so much so, that after a day or two, I had all the fish I could possibly eat, and the rods were put up.

The above only addresses the gear...but there's more...a lot more...boat speed...type of gaff...bringing the fish aboard....cleaning it...cleaning the boat afterwards...etc...etc...

Many fishing magazines are available. Online Youtube video's, etc. It will take some time to muddle thru' it all, but it will be well worth the effort.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 13:43   #40

Boat: Cal-40

I fish almost continuously during the daylight hours while I sail. I have a commercial salmon gurdy bolted on my aft rail with 350 lb tuna line. When a fish hits I just real it up to the boat and gaff it tossing it into the cockpit. I fished 34 years commercial in Alaska and don’t like the idea of screwing around stoping the boat just to land a fish. Almost never they get away. MaiMai are supper easy along with Bonito and Wahoo. The bigger Tuna like to run but if your gear is heavy enough you can just power them in. For a gaff I use a commercial salmon trollers gaff. I never fish after dark because I don’t want to deal with fish then. I have a commercial vacuum packer and a chest freezer for preservation
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 15:22   #41

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Depends on fish size. But yeah, slow the boat down as much as possible for me. Lose less fish that way.
It's not the line strength , it's how soft the fishes mouth is or how well hooked he is.
Ditto. Also I’m often fishing within stones throw of the rocks, and unless I’ve got a helper it often becomes too hectic to maneuver, haul in the downrigger gear, and net the fish while under sail. I attach a regular black bungee cord at the cannonball end of the leader- helps a little. Usually running the motor is more practical- but sailing is more fun and helps clear the tourist sporties out of the path.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 20:51   #42

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

I never used a rod for trolling while sailing or motoring. Used 2 handlines with heavy cord (not nylon fishing line which is hard on the hands) end of cord had a heavy duty swivel then about 2m or stainless steel wire leader spliced to the lure. I used a bit or heavy shock cord with a bight of the hand line hanging down. If the bight disappeared, you got a fish (or seaweed). I did slow the boat down to maybe 2 kts (otherwise you risk tearing the hook out of the fish), but did drag them for a while to tire them out if they looked big. Used a gaff to get it aboard.

Do NOT bas them with winch handles, wooden sticks, stick them with knives, etc. Way too crude and you get blood everywhere. Instead, get a plastic squeeze bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Squirt that into the gills and the fish will die quickly with minimum of thrashing. I've used that technique on 2m fish
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 22:35   #43

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Rubbing alcohol ? That’s just cruel! I use rum. The alcohol seems to make them bleed out more easily too.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 02:48   #44

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, as usual interesting read.

Question, would a bicycle inner tube work as budget shock absorber or would we need to use something stronger like a motorcycle tube?

I'm looking for a easily available, low budget, solution when going for medium sized tuna or similar.
Old 30-01-2022, 03:46   #45
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi, as usual interesting read.

Question, would a bicycle inner tube work as budget shock absorber or would we need to use something stronger like a motorcycle tube?

I'm looking for a easily available, low budget, solution when going for medium sized tuna or similar.

Did any one post about breaking lines? No, because it really does not happen if you use large enough line. Read post 32. The line is the shock absorber. Try it.

If the fish is large enough that 20-40 feet of line stretch is not enough (over 100 pounds), stretch alone won't be enough, you will need a reel with an adjustable drag and all that. But what are you going to do with a fish that big anyway (too much to eat)?

Tags
fish, sail, sailing