Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 21:54   #61

Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

It's Hollywood. The same entertainment industry that brings you those cute car insurance commercials, political commentary, and the nightly "news". Anyone who has been aloft knows that this trailer is an "artist's recreation" and not the real thing. It's not terribly badly done, but who needs to use a wrench on a coax connector? Maybe pliers to get it undone, but come on, how often does a PL-259 come unscrewed in service?

Want to see what it really looks like? Let Alex and Kris, with a supporting cast of unpaid volunteers show you:
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You wicked man!

Is this a true story -- I mean, I know it's a movie, and some things will be fictionalized, but is it based on a true story?

And why would anyone as good looking as Robert Redford be sailing alone?
It's fiction but, with incidents probably based on some real life incidents like Goat mentioned the Steve Callahan voyage along with some Hollywood scenarios thrown in so they could use the whiz bang special effects.

As for why a good looking Robert Redford type would be sailing alone? Ever sail with a woman (or man for that matter) on a small boat for an extended period of time?
psycho robots - YouTube
Old 02-08-2013, 06:01   #63
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Its those damn floating cargo containers every time!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Often wonder about the 'container sinkings'... most happen at night when one can't see a damn thing... my experience is there's more trees floating around out there than supposed containers...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

Callahan believes he hit a whale or vice versa. He was able to go back to his boat though for his emergency survival bag. While there he also grabbed his spear gun which probably saved his life. He did have an EPIRB by the way. No one ever responded (when he had it on)

Steven Callahan's boat was only 21' 4" long, and he went down about 450 miles west of the Canary Islands I believe.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Often wonder about the 'container sinkings'... most happen at night when one can't see a damn thing... my experience is there's more trees floating around out there than supposed containers...
Funny you should mention trees Boatman. I'm currently spending a few days on Eastern Long Island (my girlfriends beach vacation) Not 50 feet from my beach chair was part of a tree 35 feet long lying at the high tide mark. Sobering to me is the fact that this tree was floating out there in the Atlantic before coming ashore. Ironically this tree is in the same location where I took a video of another massive log rolling around in the surf a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ADRIFT
Things like this could leave a mark!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Funny you should mention trees Boatman. I'm currently spending a few days on Eastern Long Island (my girlfriends beach vacation) Not 50 feet from my beach chair was part of a tree 35 feet long lying at the high tide mark. Sobering to me is the fact that this tree was floating out there in the Atlantic before coming ashore. Ironically this tree is in the same location where I took a video of another massive log rolling around in the surf a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ADRIFT
Things like this could leave a mark!
Not many sail the E Atlantic coast in winter and early spring when the storms systems are coming through... lots of trees/logs come down the rivers from the mountains inland... then they potter off S and then W in the Gulf Stream.....
Leaving Panama we passed many as well as we headed for the Galapagos... complete with pelicans etc roosting in the branches... container losses and positions get reported occasionally in the Med on VHF but I've yet to see one at sea.. have also come across large navigation buoys adrift after being ripped from their mooring in a blow.. industrial freezers in the English Channel is something else I've seen.. mind.. that was back in the 80's..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00   #68

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Does anyone know which boat was used in the movie? I have seen it listed as a 37' and a 39' in stories but have not seen anyone say anything about brand.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
Does anyone know which boat was used in the movie? I have seen it listed as a 37' and a 39' in stories but have not seen anyone say anything about brand.
I think I read somewhere that they used three Cal 39 boats in the filming. "They gave up their lives for their art" was the quote I believe.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not many sail the E Atlantic coast in winter and early spring when the storms systems are coming through... lots of trees/logs come down the rivers from the mountains inland... then they potter off S and then W in the Gulf Stream.....
Leaving Panama we passed many as well as we headed for the Galapagos... complete with pelicans etc roosting in the branches... container losses and positions get reported occasionally in the Med on VHF but I've yet to see one at sea.. have also come across large navigation buoys adrift after being ripped from their mooring in a blow.. industrial freezers in the English Channel is something else I've seen.. mind.. that was back in the 80's..
I guess that's how some of those palm trees ended up in Europe.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53   #71

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Thanks you were right I was able to google the movie title with Cal 39 and got it. It states in the end credits "3 1978 Cal 39's". Kinda sad they had to sink 3 to make a 105 min movie.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 15:35   #72

Anyone know where i can get to see this movie in Melbourne, Australia?
I don't think it got a cinema release here in Oz, i may have to watch it on the internet - can anyone suggest where?
Thanks,
Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 15:39   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I don't think it got a cinema release here in Oz, i may have to watch it on the internet - can anyone suggest where?
Thanks,
Matt
I watched a cam copy... the folks walking back n forth for was quite amusing..

Old 10-09-2013, 15:45   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt
It is due to be released on the 14th of November at Village Cinemas according to this site:
Wrap-Up: Melbourne International Film Festival - Eventfinder

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:02   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's Hollywood. The same entertainment industry that brings you those cute car insurance commercials, political commentary, and the nightly "news". Anyone who has been aloft knows that this trailer is an "artist's recreation" and not the real thing. It's not terribly badly done, but who needs to use a wrench on a coax connector? Maybe pliers to get it undone, but come on, how often does a PL-259 come unscrewed in service?

Want to see what it really looks like? Let Alex and Kris, with a supporting cast of unpaid volunteers show you:
I go up the mast when I need too not for fun...

Tags
lost, movie