Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Given the same situation would you have reported the spill to the authorities?
Yes 11 55.00%
No 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 17:21   #31

Re: Reporting an Oil Slick

I would report a large spill that is continuing to grow, incidental bilge water issues....no. I would attemt to contact owner first in all cases except obvious big spills. A thimble of diesel looks huge on the water. I like the do unto others approach.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:44   #32

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
I like the do unto others approach.
I totally agree.

In my slip are several old pilings. Coated with creosote. These are pretty old maybe 40 yrs or more old.
One of these pilings leaks a constant tiny sheen on the water with little swirly eddies.
I watched it very carefully cause I was worried about my boat leaking some kind of oil even though the pumps dont pump.
I asked my slipmate and he told me the creosote is leaking out but its not oil. And it has been doing it for years.
This marina is a workmans marina with a lot of poor crabbers, wooden deadrises, old guys and a lot of 2 cycle detroit diesels. There is often a slight sheen that comes and goes all the time around all the boats.
Another fellow has a 45 foot fiberglass something with lots of shiny white and stainless and multiple decks. One day he started and ran his detroits at the slip for what must have been 2 hours. A soot was spread all over the marina water, sort of like a carbony looking dust, like a halfway sheen, not a sheen but like a sheen.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:10   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Let your conscience and good common sense be your guide. Is it large enough where it merits a team of people to clean it up? If so then report it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 16:01   #34

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

It seems the majority of people suggest contacting the owner first if the leak isn't too large. I have witnessed a similar incident here in New York City. A boat owner had a leaking fuel tank on a trawler and it would pump out a large amount whenever he filled it. Each time the pump kicked in he would pump out at least twenty gallons or more. He was warned several times to fix it and ignored it. Only after a month of warning did someone, not me, report the leak.

If it is a small leak of only a gallon or two I would ignore it or let the owner know first. A gallon or so isn't a big deal where we are since it breaks up quickly and is dispersed very soon after the leak.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote