Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 12:45   #1

Registering a home built boat

Hi guys, I built a boat in Mexico but I'm having trouble registering it with the local authorities. They will only accept registration from a licensed boat builder, they won't register home built boats. I was wondering if I could register the boat in the USA even though it's currently located in Mexico? Or could I register it in a different country? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sailor4life7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:11   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Registering a home built boat

Did you build it? or did you buy it as built?

Most registration requires a builders certificate or a bill of sale for a previously registered boat or OTHER documentation, such as a whole bundle of receipts and photos of the build.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't know about Mexico, but I had to register a homebuilt boat in the US.
I had to go to the tax office to explain my situation.
They in turn, sent someone down to where I built the boat and I had to show receipts of materials, photo's, etc. It was quite the ordeal.
Then they issued me a registration Number, which I had to "permanently" inscribe onto the hull near the stern, which once again, required a visit from the same person to inspect.
After this, I was able to get boat registration stickers.
Hope this helps.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:08   #4

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38

As long as you're a US citizen you can register a home built boat through the Nation Vessel Documentation Center. All very simple in my experience. You vouch that you built it, fill out their simple.forms and send them off with a small payment. Refreshing and very unusual in this age!

The only problem I can see is that it was built in Mexico. They may not accept that or it may create sales tax or other tax complications. NVDC are available online or by phone. You might call them and check..
Mexican Hat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat