Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-08-2011, 20:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Red over Red - Not Under Command (NUC) Lights

I am hardly in the turn them all on crowd; I despise them as much as you do. I have way too many days at sea to be foolish enough to be lumped in with the credit card captains. Similarly, I do not parade around the yacht club in topsiders, a captain's hat, and shirts with alligators whilst hoisting signal flags and debating minutiae of the rules.

My background is in working vessels, and as a demographic, I am sure that group is more compliant with signals than any group of pleasure boaters. That said, I will say again that given the circumstance set forth by the OP, an anchor light would be the best light to display.

In rebuttal to your assertion that sea anchored vessels are underway, I submit that even a vessel anchored to the bottom moves somewhat.... It that vessel underway as well? By your inference only a vessel aground would not be underway and could display an anchor light

ETA: Once upon a time, I was pushing two head barges, 110' long, each loaded with 3700 tons of concrete bridge beams. In a crossing situation at a harbor entrance some yachtie tried to invoke the "I'm a sailboat and you need to give way" ( the fact that i was towing, CBD, and RAM seemed to be inconsequential)... Well one of us got to go swimming that day, and it wasn't me! Even if he had been correct in his view of the rules (he wasn't) he still was gonna lose. Even in the open sea, were I in a stand-on situation with a closing CPA and on a small boat, I would still give way to a ship; to do otherwise is arrogant and foolhardy.