Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39   #1

Boat: Lynaes 29 "Shanty"
Provisional Reg - New Boat?

Hello to everyone,

I purchased a sailboat (a Lynaes 29) in Spain, and I plan to sail it this summer to Slovenia where I live. The boat was sailing under the German flag until now, but I'm transferring it to Slovenian flag, and I need to bring it home before I can get it registered. I got explained in Slovenia that I'd need a provisional registration in every country I sail through (Spain, Italy, Croatia). This sounds rather scary. Does anyone have any experiences or advice to that regard?

Thanks!
Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 14:50   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You say the boat has been sailing under the german flag, is it actually german registered. if so you can keep it on that register as I seem to remember that foreigners can register on the german registry. since slovenia is in the EU you shouldnt have any other problems. I dont know if Slovenia requires you to register a yacht once you live there, but that can be done when you get to slovenia

There is no such thing as proviosional registration.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41   #3

Thanks for your reply. I'll try doing as you suggested, or maybe register the boat in Spain before sailing, if that is possible. How does this usually work? Do people register the boat where they buy it before they sail it home?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13   #4

Hello Bing,
Could you let me know your experience with "Shanty" because i have a dream:
to buy one of these "Lovely Langkieler Double-Ender" : the LYNAES 29...
Please be in touch with me because at my home it is impossible to get informations as well as to see one of them!!!
Thank you in advance
JEANMI66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49   #5

Hey JeanM,

I've replied to your private e-mail, but I'll repost here in case someone else is interested in this.

Shanty is a Lynaes 29. So far she's been a great boat. Me and a friend bought her really cheap (10,000€) in Southern Spain in 2009 and sailed it back across Mediterranean to Northern Adriatic, and she performed admirably. We have had it out of the water for a while now, rebuilding teak decks, re-sealing deck gear and fixing some other bits and ends. The hull seems to be well built and she doesn't have much blistering (for a 30 year old boat). There are a few blisters less than 1 mm across, but this is no problem. However, the bad part was the rudder - it had a huge osmosis problem. I took it down and repaired it with epoxy and fiberglass, and it's going back on soon.

The good: She's quite roomy for her size, and can comfortably sleep four people on a longer cruise, and 6 for a daysail/weekend. She has a good cockpit, narrow enough to brace yourself when the boat is heeled but still large enough for two large guys to sleep comfortably on benches. She's quite fast on a reach and downwind for a bluewater boat, but of course can't match lighter fin or bulb keeled boats when beating. She has a decent sail area for her displacement, so you don't need a hurricane to get her moving. She'll get to 6 knots in a breeze.

And, she's a very safe boat, and can handle large waves and strong wind with no problem. Built like a tank. When it puffs, she'll just heel a little and dig in. When we start tying reefs and shortening sail, most other people are already running for shelter. And she has three reefs in her mainsail, so you can keep sailing when the stuff gets rough. Also, she will heave-to on a mainsail only, and gets really quiet when hove-to even in quite rough sea. I haven't had a chance (fortunately) to see how she would behave in a real blow, but I think she would take care of itself no problem. Wave motion is very gentle... she just cuts through waves and doesn't slam. I haven't been through any survival storms or stuff like that with her, but she handled 2 meter waves and force 7 winds with no problem at all.

The bad:Cockpit drains are a bit small. Engine access could be better. The bunk behind the chart table is very difficult to get into and is more useful for storage than for anything else. I'm still looking for a place to install a fridge (we have a new baby and we need one). Fuel tank on our boat is leaking and there is no easy way to replace it, so we now have a smaller tank in a cockpit locker. Side decks are really narrow just out of the cockpit so it's a bit challenging to crawl out there with a sail when the sea gets rough. And, she's a pain to motor in reverse (as most full-keeled boats are) - just goes in a straight line.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 05-02-2011, 18:31   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
If Germans accept you to register, register there and sail on. If not, Google for registering a boat in Belgium. Many EU nationals from countries with too much red tape register their boats there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
red tape, yacht transport, purchase