Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2008, 05:55   #1

Please Help Me Figure Out Registration!

Hi All,
I'm a new member here and I need help figuring out how to register my boss's boat that he's buying from Toronto, Canada and transferring to New York, NY. I know absolutely nothing about what I have to do in order to legally transfer the boat in terms of customs, registration, trailer needs (license plates for the trailer?), etc. He also wants to use the boat in Connecticut; does he need additional registration for that? What about certification and licensing? Essentially, if anyone can guide me through this process, I'd be most appreciative!
In addition, I'd like to say that I really enjoy this site and everyone seems really fun! I'm glad to be on board!
thanks,
siren2310
siren2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 09:34   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Siren, call the NYS DMV or visit their web site, they are in charge of all motor vehicle registration including boats in NYS.

No certification or licensing is needed but if your boss doesn't already know that, he probably should be taking a basic boating safety course or looking into the "Power Squadron" classes for new boaters.

CT depends on where the boat will be kept and how long it will be in what state. Just going over for a short time, no problem. Boats, again, are treated very much like cars. Keep it in CT for 90 days in a row--and he'll probably have to reregister it there.

If he's a NYS resident he'll probably have to pay use tax (not sales tax) on the purchase price. The NYS DMV folks also can tell you about that, and the trailer requirements.

Be aware that trailers usually are built to a price, and that means smaller cheaper wheels which have problems after salt water gets into the bearings, making them more likely to overheat. And travelling at higher speeds, again makes them overheat. You really don't want to pull that trailer faster than it is rated for--regardless of the speed limit.

There may also be import duty or customs' fees involved, you'll also need to check on that to avoid an unpleasant surprise.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 09:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There are a couple of key documents he MUST have; a Bill of Sale for the Boat and the Trailer, A Manufacturer's Statement of Origin for both, and a Title for both. Without those precious pieces of paper, life as you know it will end.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 10:04   #4

minimost registration

I just found out that my boss's boat is a minimost, approx. 8'. Buying from Toronto, Canada. The trailer is included. The boat has a 9.9 merc engine. Does this information affect the customs and registration process?
thanks so much!
siren2310
siren2310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration