Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 01:17   #151

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Phuket! I have "Right of Way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The Northern Territory Transport Authority ( take note, Dockhead..... it says Authority) only uses 'right of way' when dealing with navigation on billabongs......
What is a 'billabong'? I've only ever heard of this in a song.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 01:19   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It might be 'dumbing' down, but it's starting to show credence in what i've maintained, that it's not uncommon to explain the term by 'right of way'. It's certainly 'normal' here in Australia and the only place I've ever heard of this dogmatic insistance is off CF.
Finally we can agree about something!

I never said that this term is not used. I didn't even say that it's not common. I only said that it's wrong.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 01:21   #153

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
What is a 'billabong'? I've only ever heard of this in a song.
A billabong is a cut off meander.....

read the NT link you posted...they use the word...

'There are numerous small billabongs and other enclosed waters in the NT to which the regulations do not strictly apply. In the interests of courtesy and safety, boat users are asked to observe the following rules:'
Old 14-04-2015, 01:23   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I never said that this term is not used. I didn't even say that it's not common. I only said that it's wrong.
Its not 'wrong'.... its simply incorrect....
Old 14-04-2015, 01:30   #155

Quote:

well, so be it then. I don't believe it's wrong at all, and neither do many many of those who have 'authority' to write on behalf of governments. The other aspect of what we would disagree with is that it is dangerous to use the term for marine use. I would maintain it's only dangerous if treated as an absolute which you seem to be adamant about. Even treating the road rules in a car is dangerous if they are treated as absolutes.

But in the past weeks I've read many many posts you have written and I conceed you have probably forgotten much more than I've ever learnt in relation to the COLREGS and many other topics. so you have my respect.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:30   #156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
You edited your post I presume. This was not there before.

These ARE authorities! These ARE the government designated authorities throughout Australia and New Zealand. They are legitimate documents provided by the authorities to explain the basic rules. And remember Dockhead, you are the one that previously insisted these documents don't exist. That 'professional organisations' would not use the term 'right of way'.

You can't seriously dismiss all of this from every State and Territory with a claim that they are documents intended for children. That's just silly and I'll say childish to maintain that.
There is a difference between materials which are authoritative, and materials which are issued by some "authorities" -- i.e. state governments -- which are NOT authoritative, but are, rather, simplified blurb for simplified people.

And state governments may be authorities in what concerns your welfare cheque, but they are certainly NOT authorities in what concerns navigation at sea or interpretation of the COLREGS. You won't find the MCA writing such nonsense.

You should not use -- in any field! -- simplified materials written for simplified audiences, to get a serious understanding of any subject!
Old 14-04-2015, 01:31   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its not 'wrong'.... its simply incorrect....
You are right, sir -- thank you for the correction!
Old 14-04-2015, 01:40   #158

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
well, so be it then. I don't believe it's wrong at all, and neither do many many of those who have 'authority' to write on behalf of governments. The other aspect of what we would disagree with is that it is dangerous to use the term for marine use. I would maintain it's only dangerous if treated as an absolute which you seem to be adamant about. Even treating the road rules in a car is dangerous if they are treated as absolutes.

But in the past weeks I've read many many posts you have written and I conceed you have probably forgotten much more than I've ever learnt in relation to the COLREGS and many other topics. so you have my respect.
OK, peace, brother!

I think we've well exhausted the subject

Time for me to get my real work done
Old 14-04-2015, 01:40   #159

Quote:
You are right, sir -- thank you for the correction!
hang on... thats not how it works on CF!!!

Old 14-04-2015, 01:43   #160

Quote:
There is a difference between materials which are authoritative, and materials which are issued by some "authorities" -- i.e. state governments -- which are NOT authoritative, but are, rather, simplified blurb for simplified people.

And state governments may be authorities in what concerns your welfare cheque, but they are certainly NOT authorities in what concerns navigation at sea or interpretation of the COLREGS. You won't find the MCA writing such nonsense.

You should not use -- in any field! -- simplified materials written for simplified audiences, to get a serious understanding of any subject!
I don't know what the MCA is and it probably doesn't matter. You cannot possibly claim these authorities that I listed 'are certainly not authorities in what concerns navigation at sea or interpretation of the COLREGS'. They have a role in writing legislation on marine matters for state authorities. You can't seriously Dockhead 'dumb down' the role governments have with the COLREGS.

That's just being obstinate!

What amazes me is you have acknowledged in many other posts that the knowledge of recreational and many professional Mariners is wanting, seriously so. And yet now your point is 'you should not use, in any field, simplified materials written for simplified audiences, to get a serious understanding of any subject' that appears really contradictory to me.

And 'wrong' or 'incorrect', it's still wrong to claim either.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:44   #161

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
The boat that the filming is taking place on appears to be anchored. So the other boat was simply not keeping a lookout.
But but but the other boat had right of way

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 01:48   #162

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't know what the MCA is and it probably doesn't matter. You cannot possibly claim these authorities that I listed 'are certainly not authorities in what concerns navigation at sea or interpretation of the COLREGS'. They have a role in writing legislation on marine matters for state authorities. You can't seriously Dockhead 'dumb down' the role governments have with the COLREGS.

That's just being obstinate!

What amazes me is you have acknowledged in many other posts that the knowledge of recreational and many professional Mariners is wanting, seriously so. And yet now your point is 'you should not use, in any field, simplified materials written for simplified audiences, to get a serious understanding of any subject' that appears really contradictory to me.

And 'wrong' or 'incorrect', it's still wrong to claim either.
Hey! What's this? I thought you were going to let me get off my soapbox and get back to work!
Old 14-04-2015, 01:52   #163

Quote:
A billabong is a cut off meander.....

read the NT link you posted...they use the word...

'There are numerous small billabongs and other enclosed waters in the NT to which the regulations do not strictly apply. In the interests of courtesy and safety, boat users are asked to observe the following rules:'
got Ya. I Was at work and had limited time so I didn't spend a lot of time going through them. I took too long as it was looking for the state/territory I missed. I'm sure you can imagine why.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:54   #164

Quote:
Hey! What's this? I thought you were going to let me get off my soapbox and get back to work!
I was catching up. be off then
Old 14-04-2015, 02:13   #165

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

forgive me if I'm yawning but this long, boring discussion over the miniscule semantic veracities of 'colregs' leaves me a little bemused. I've sailed for 50ish years never having heard of 'colregs' til i read it in this forum, I've got a rough idea you keep the other bloke to your left when approaching; commercial shipping, which is pretty much anything big or ugly, has 'right of way' - let me state that again, 'right of way' - which is not a legal term dating back to the magna bloody carta, it's a nice simple practical way of saying keep out of the other blokes way; and, finally, if in doubt, keep out of the other blokes way, he could be some a#%*hole whos read 3000 pages of colregs and still doesnt know what hes doing but hes damned sure hes got 'right of way' and means to run you down to prove it...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote