Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 03:00   #271
med

Re: Phuket! I have "Right of Way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I learned to sail in waters with a lot of commercial traffic that was restricted to the deep water channels, or traffic separation schemes. The Zeeland estuaries for example. And yes, the instructors basically told us to treat the big ships as if they were trains.
I spend a week on a freighter last summer. I stil remember leaving Cork in the middle of a fleet of local yachts getting ready to race. The skipper indeed mostly ignored them. Some were so close you couldn't see them unless you walked all the way out on the wing, in which case you couldn't see the ones on the other side... But those sailors knew their waters, and they know "not to impede". It was the Brittany Ferrry in front of him that worried the skipper...
I was pretty much in the same situation when leaving a port through a relatively narrow passage (submerged rocks on both sides), in a relatively difficult to maneouvre gaff rigged long keeler with about 20 odd small sailing boats buzzing around.

med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 03:50   #272

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

I though that fishing boats now had to have AIS as well, even in Spain and Portugal?
Regarding Portugal it is mandatory for new boats over 15m since 2010.

For the existing fleet (almost all the fishing boats) it is mandatory mandatory for boats between 24 and 45m since 2012. For boats between 18 and 24m it is mandatory since 2013 and between 15 and 18m it is mandatory since 2014.

I believe that is valid to all EC countries since it results from the mandatory application of the Directive 2009/17/EC.

It remains that the directive only considers fishing boats over 15m and most of them has less than that. Those don't have mandatory AIS and the chances are that they don't have it at all.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 04:51   #273

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I tend to be more interested in language as she is spoke rather than what internet academics have to say about correct usage.

I do know that if, on a British ship , anytime in the last 50 plus years you used the term 'certified officer' you would be an object of ridicule...
A bit of education is a dangerous thing....
I have never said that the word certificated was not more used then the term certified regarding a Captain only objected you referring that the term certified was incorrectly used referring to sea Captains and even saying that it was only used referring madmen.

A simple search on the internet would have shown to you that the term Certified Captain is used and is correct in English:

"Greenwich Marine was founded in 1997 by Captain René Antonissen, a Merchant Mariner with over 30 years experience in the Marine Industry. ...Our Team of Greenwich Marine Surveyors are Certified Ships Captains or Marine Engineers..."
About | Greenwich Marine Services

Molly Kool – First Certified North American Female Sea Captain
https://saintssistersandsluts.wordpr...e-sea-captain/

Captain Raffi Kassabian United States Coast Guard certified; 100 ton Master License/Auxiliary sail.
The ship and crew of Windfall ~ Defiance Sail Charters

I am a certified Captain
https://www.boatsetter.com/how-it-wo...ified-captain/

certified as a Captain of a vessel in Canada and the United States
Safe Ship Operation | Great Lakes Seaway System | Maritime Security | Marine Delivers | Chamber of Marine Commerce

Certified Captain Darrin Auger..
Captain Darrin Auger | I.G.F.A Certified Captain | Nemesis Sportfishing

Coast Guard Certified Licensed Captain ...
Coast Guard Certified Licensed Captain Needed

Captain Richard Bradley is a Certified IGFA Captain
IGFA, Certified Captain, International Game Fish Association, World Records

Certified Captain’s License
Masters | Ted Gephart

Coast Guard certified captain
Captain John Float is the organizer of Dolphin Essence Swim with Dolphins Tours in Hawaii

Captain Bill Wilson United Sates Coast Guard Certified
Captain Bill Wilson United Sates Coast Guard Certified 50 Ton Masters License
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 14:03   #274

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I have never said that the word certificated was not more used then the term certified regarding a Captain only objected you referring that the term certified was incorrectly used referring to sea Captains and even saying that it was only used referring madmen.

A simple search on the internet would have shown to you that the term Certified Captain is used and is correct in English:

"Greenwich Marine was founded in 1997 by Captain René Antonissen, a Merchant Mariner with over 30 years experience in the Marine Industry. ...Our Team of Greenwich Marine Surveyors are Certified Ships Captains or Marine Engineers..."
About | Greenwich Marine Services

Molly Kool – First Certified North American Female Sea Captain
https://saintssistersandsluts.wordpr...e-sea-captain/

Captain Raffi Kassabian United States Coast Guard certified; 100 ton Master License/Auxiliary sail.
The ship and crew of Windfall ~ Defiance Sail Charters

I am a certified Captain
https://www.boatsetter.com/how-it-wo...ified-captain/

certified as a Captain of a vessel in Canada and the United States
Safe Ship Operation | Great Lakes Seaway System | Maritime Security | Marine Delivers | Chamber of Marine Commerce

Certified Captain Darrin Auger..
Captain Darrin Auger | I.G.F.A Certified Captain | Nemesis Sportfishing

Coast Guard Certified Licensed Captain ...
Coast Guard Certified Licensed Captain Needed

Captain Richard Bradley is a Certified IGFA Captain
IGFA, Certified Captain, International Game Fish Association, World Records

Certified Captain’s License
Masters | Ted Gephart

Coast Guard certified captain
Captain John Float is the organizer of Dolphin Essence Swim with Dolphins Tours in Hawaii

Captain Bill Wilson United Sates Coast Guard Certified
Captain Bill Wilson United Sates Coast Guard Certified 50 Ton Masters License
All of the above would lead one to believe that 'certified' in a maritime sense is american english ... from the same people that brought us 'tidal currents'

'Certificated' is the norm when speaking the Queen's English.
Old 27-04-2015, 15:39   #275

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
All of the above would lead one to believe that 'certified' in a maritime sense is american english ... from the same people that brought us 'tidal currents'

'Certificated' is the norm when speaking the Queen's English.
All this debate over the spelling of a word seriously

Personally, I have never heard of the word, 'certificated'.

and frankly, I don't know anyone, ANYONE, that speaks the Queens pompish English.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 15:44   #276

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

and frankly, I don't know anyone, ANYONE, that speaks the Queens pompish English.
Well yes you have... maybe you had never *previously* heard the word certificated....

and 'Frankly' Tasmanians don't even speak proper strayan ..

Old 27-04-2015, 16:04   #277

Quote:
Well yes you have... maybe you had never *previously* heard the word certificated....

and 'Frankly' Tasmanians don't even speak proper strayan ..

Let me clarify. I have never 'previously' read of the word certificated.

And just cause us Taswegians never had didgeridoo's and boomarangs, we still know how to tie a kangaroo down and tan a hide.

Beauty!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:45   #278
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Pompous.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:02   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Pompous.
thank you.

Have you been out sailing?
Old 07-05-2015, 17:13   #280

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

For those of you coming here to discuss the actual TOPIC, and not duel at dawn over your dictionaries...

A news/forum website popular with foreigners in Thailand contains this post, dated 4/27:

Quote:
The captain driving the dive boat was Thai, but Dave McGuire appeared to be giving orders to the Thai crew. The dive boat crashed into the sailboat at high speed. Little if any attempt was made to slow the boat or change course before the collision. The evidence is visible to anyone who goes to Boat Lagoon and sees how far the steel hull of the dive boat penetrated into the aluminum hull of the sailboat. The sailboat maintained course and speed until a collision was eminent and then turned to port when there was no change of course or speed from the dive boat. The dive boat struck the sailboat on the starboard side in the middle of the cockpit with enough force to cut a fiberglass boat in half. The anchor from the dive boat came within one meter of the head of a 7 year old girl that was sitting there next her mother in the cockpit of the sailboat. If the dive boat had not altered course he would have hit the island which was 200 meters on his bow after the point of collision. The sailboat was trying to get in the lee of the island and the wind was blowing hard and gusty which would have made a turn to starboard very dangerous as the main sail would have jibed. The wind was from the east north east and the sailboat could not pass behind the dive boat without jibing. After the collision the dive boat left the scene to pass to the north of the island in the direction of Phi Phi Island with one of the crew members from the sailboat aboard the dive boat and when they realized that they had one of the sailboat crew member's aboard, they turned around and came towards the sailboat which had lost all control due to the damaged boom and mainsail that had been struck by the anchor of the dive boat. The sailboat was still moving forward into the wind driven by the for sail. The dive boat placed his starboard side in front of the bow and attempted to come along side so that the sailboat crew member could get back aboard the sailboat. The sailboat hit the dive boat with the bow while the captain of the sailboat was screaming at the dive boat to stay away. When the crew member hesitated to jump in the water due to shock, he was kicked by one of the Thai dive boat crew members into the water with his foot. The dive boat then turned and went to Phi Phi leaving the sailboat that was damaged without offering any assistance. The sailboat crew member swam to the dinghy that was being towed by the sailboat and climbed aboard the dinghy and from there was pulled in by the rope to the sailboat. The crew member that was kicked into the water from the dive boat wanted to press charges but he had to leave Thailand on April 15 to fly to Nepal. I hope he got out of there before the earthquake! Does anyone know where I can find the videos taken from the dive boat? Those videos will prove the guilt of the Thai captain of the dive boat and his boss, Dave McGuire. This collision was absolutely senseless as the dive boat was on a collision course with the island 200 meters further so the dive boat had to turn to port anyway to get to Phi Phi Island!

Sounds to me like the testimony of someone (the skipper?) aboard the sailboat. Nickname of the forum user also seems to indicate that's the case.

Video of the incident has yet to surface. Seems both parties believe the video evidence will exonerate them. Wish they're release the videos already.

The two parties have taken the case to court. So, we wait...
Old 07-05-2015, 17:49   #281
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well that's a shifigth where no ones going to win. Some things don't add up, like why was the dive boats course straight at the island if it was going to phi phi? Any commercial boats want to take the direct route, faster, less fuel etc, not almost hit an island then go around it. I had a video of the incident but it was taken on a camera I bought in a Thai market and stopped working the next day..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 17:57   #282
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
thank you.

Have you been out sailing?
No. We're on the hard, next to some steel sail boat which was wiped out by a tourist boat about the same time as the guy this thread is about. He's got three bent stanchions and some dints in the toe rails. Poor guy... Hubby (mine) said the American owner was really screaming at his little girl, so he must have been well stressed. And I was in the UK when all this was happening. I miss all the fun.

Was back for a few weeks just now though. Been kayaking with the dogs on my new baby boat... did ya see the pics? Just in case you missed it... I'm well proud of this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak dogs.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	101585  
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 21:06   #283

Boat: islandpacket

Doggie padding

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-05-2015, 02:38   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
No. We're on the hard, next to some steel sail boat which was wiped out by a tourist boat about the same time as the guy this thread is about. He's got three bent stanchions and some dints in the toe rails. Poor guy... Hubby (mine) said the American owner was really screaming at his little girl, so he must have been well stressed. And I was in the UK when all this was happening. I miss all the fun.

Was back for a few weeks just now though. Been kayaking with the dogs on my new baby boat... did ya see the pics? Just in case you missed it... I'm well proud of this one...
clever doggies
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47   #285
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Simple
Operate as if no rules apply to any other boat no matter how big or how small, cautious approach everywhere 🙏🏻

SV TOT
Wayne 😃