Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 23:41   #76

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Just three weeks ago I was talking with a very experienced delivery skipper who related a relevant incident that occurred on a Pacific crossing. He arrived in Tahiti late in the season and ended up staying beyond the normal ninety days. When he went to check out a port official informed him that he was not allowed to leave port due to the weather. Each day a port official stopped by the boat and advised him that the weather was still bad. After a week or so, he was allowed to proceed on his way. So apparently delaying a vessels departure for safety concerns does happen in places other then NZ.

Old 19-06-2013, 23:56   #77

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
A little scouting around like on crew.org.nz will show you what this 1000 dollar boat looks like, and following up his name how he operates.
OK. I did a little searching and came up with some photos, as well as a year old story about his family being worried when he was out of contact, so he was put on the missing persons list.

Bristol27.com » Hull # – Alexandra

'Missing' sailor unaware of search | Stuff.co.nz

Add to together the family concerns, low budget maintenance and the bad weather system, I could understand that the NZ authorities may have been looking after his interests, as well as helping to avoid a future sea search and rescue.

On the other hand, I commend people for being able to voyage internationally on such a low budget. It's hard to find a good balance between nanny state and "go for it". Except NZ can't opt out of a sea search and rescue.
Old 20-06-2013, 00:01   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I wonder when those pics of his boat were taken. Hopefully a long time ago otherwise I can see why they might have had some doubts about it's condition.

Coops.
Old 20-06-2013, 00:02   #79

Boat: warwick 44

Don't know were op was but the forecast for cook tonight

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***
Southerly 40 knots rising rapidly to 65 knots this evening, then easing to 40 knots Friday afternoon. Sea becoming very high for a time.Southerly swell rising to 6 metres for a time. Poor visibility in rain.
Old 20-06-2013, 00:04   #80

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I suspect the IM was just trying to be helpful, or sound knowlegable. Judging what was intimated on the state of the vessel, I'm not surprised. But it is not his jurisdiction. Tell him they have just been replaced with 2205 from Sweden. "Do you want the heat sheet?"
If you don't know the origin/state of them, you deserve to get questioned.

I'm surprised he has got so far and learnt so little on dealing with officials.

Mon-Tues looks good.Nice brisk SE'er on the back of it!
Old 20-06-2013, 00:12   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
On the other hand, I commend people for being able to voyage internationally on such a low budget.
Low budget is one way of describing it. Some Googling reveals this individual boasting about freeloading on our health system, using his hacking skills to steal WiFi, and squatting on moorings.
Old 20-06-2013, 02:27   #82

Boat: wharram tiki 26

squatting on moorings, ha ha.
Old 20-06-2013, 02:29   #83

Boat: kuiper 32

One decent blow down here will clear all that stuff off his decks just amazing he even got here
Old 20-06-2013, 02:40   #84
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Looking at the pix it seems NZ authorities were right to detain this junk heap. Nice to see the tax dollars I used to pay being used well. Anybody who allows their boat to deteriorate into such an untidy cesspit does not deserve the term sailor. He should be embarrassed to have those photos online.
Old 20-06-2013, 02:48   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

From a quick looksee at past posts from OP - seems that he replaced his stainless steel chainplates.......
Old 20-06-2013, 03:22   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Shoot... those pic's make the boat I gave away coz it was more work than I could be bothered seem near immaculate...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-06-2013, 04:28   #87

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

You want to go? Go now - no-one will notice in this weather, and it will be the last we'll hear from you. The Authorities are trying to save your stupid ass.

Issued by MetService at: 8:11pm Thursday 20 Jun 2013
Valid to: Midnight Friday 21 Jun 2013

Forecast

*** STORM WARNING IN FORCE ***
Southerly 75 knots easing to 60 knots Friday morning and to 40 knots Friday afternoon. Phenomenal sea easing. Southerly swell rising to 6 metres for a time. Poor visibility in rain.
Old 20-06-2013, 04:46   #88
Armchair Bucketeer

I dunno how recent those boat pics are (could be a few years back before / during a refit?) but if current and given that his name would already be in the database as having been "missing" (at least to family in the USA) then I can see why the port officials would have concerns.........wrapped in with the NZ attitude to own vessels being considered "normal" and whilst those rules don't apply to him the attitude of officialdom likely will.....and as GBN has pointed out, port authorities do have power to stop any vessel going to sea if they consider it an accident waiting to happen. Likely different places have different attitudes to giving a sh#t!, NZ sounds like one of those places that does.

In regard to the NZ SAR costs, whilst I am sure they do their best (and also want to contain costs) nonetheless probably good to bear in mind that their resources on the ground will never match something like the USCG (or even the RNLI!) so even launching a full SAR (and b#gger the cost!) won't guarantee a speedy happy ending. And indeed I would suggest that to contain costs they adopt the approach that a full SAR is a fella in a rowing boat. who only works Wednesdays.....anything else is simply pot luck.
Old 20-06-2013, 05:41   #89

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Wow lots of negative comments about the boats condition... just watched a commentary about a guy who just circumnavigated in a 19' mono built in 1970 that on the outside looked ready to fall apart but i am sure it was seaworthy enough or the commentary would have ended differently.
You have all justly earned your ACCL or Arm Chair Captains License. Congrats, with it you can survey any ship , direct shipping traffic, teach sailing techniques, and so much more all from the comfort and safety of your armchair!!!
Awesome!!!
Old 20-06-2013, 05:47   #90

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Wow lots of negative comments about the boats condition... just watched a commentary about a guy who just circumnavigated in a 19' mono built in 1970 that on the outside looked ready to fall apart but i am sure it was seaworthy enough or the commentary would have ended differently.
You have all justly earned your ACCL or Arm Chair Captains License. Congrats, with it you can survey any ship , direct shipping traffic, teach sailing techniques, and so much more all from the comfort and safety of your armchair!!!
Awesome!!!
Thank you sir! The best captains are the ones sitting on the dock. We aim to please

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Closed Thread