Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 07:15   #46

Re: Need Advice for German Citizen entering the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. in some cities folk walk into schools and slaughter kids.. because there's no gun control.. the world is full of nutters.. just gotta live.. or die with that fact..
Sorry to go off topic but...

In case of shooters in schools here in US this is more of a mental health treatment issue (or the lack thereof) than any other relevant factor. In case of worldwide religion based terror it is not just a mental health issue (although mental health is a large component of it) but also attitudinal. But for the silent acquiescence of their co-religionists these terrorists would not be as prevalent as they are now. That's why we do not see ANY OTHER religion based terror. Sure there are terrorists professing all kind of religions but those are mostly a by-product of some other basis for terror - political (IRA, old time PLO, South American guerrillas), ethical (PETA, enviro crazies), mix of political and economic (Boka Haram/sp.?), etc. etc.

PS Here in US mental health treatment is very, very limited and cannot be easily required. Not only relatives of obvious sufferers must go through a myriad of legal and medical barriers but at the end it is very expensive and there is very limited insurance coverage even with the "Cadillac" insurance plans. And by the time the patient is in full mental breakdown the only realistic outcome is a long prison sentence. Basically AFAIK their European counterparts are getting more and better treatment thus until at least now less incidents, etc.

PPS I do not believe that the law abiding mentally healthy citizens should suffer a diminution of their Constitutional rights on account of sick persons' behavior. The same goes for int'l travelers. Keep the sickos out of the country (or from receiving passports) so that "normal" people can go to and fro unimpeded.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:33   #47

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

guys

before this thread goes completely off the rails - lets please get back on topic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:37   #48

Don't mess with immigration. The BVI route doesn't work. I'm a Dutch and US citizen and travelled the world by boat extensively. There are a few legal ways and All take time:
Apply for a Seaman's visa at nearest US consulate. In the BVI there is a lawyer that will do that for you for money.
Fly to Germany and fly into the US but you'll need an ESTA form
Find a delivery to the US and hope they'll let you in on the visa waiver program. (I doubt it)
Don't visit the US.
Hindsight: he should have applied for a seamans Visas in Germany.
Advise: DO NOT MESS WITH IMMIGRATION
Caren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:38   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren View Post
Don't mess with immigration. The BVI route doesn't work. I'm a Dutch and US citizen and travelled the world by boat extensively. There are a few legal ways and All take time:
Apply for a Seaman's visa at nearest US consulate. In the BVI there is a lawyer that will do that for you for money.
Fly to Germany and fly into the US but you'll need an ESTA form
Find a delivery to the US and hope they'll let you in on the visa waiver program. (I doubt it)
Don't visit the US.
Hindsight: he should have applied for a seamans Visas in Germany.
Advise: DO NOT MESS WITH IMMIGRATION
WElcome aboard Caren

good advice

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 24-03-2017, 09:03   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

guys

I've given you one warning. get this thread back on track or I'll have to close it

Old 24-03-2017, 09:13   #51

Back to the topic. Sorry for the previous digressions.

The OP was initially about the regular visitor visa (B type, up to 6 months stay at the discretion of BP officer), right? And someone had mentioned a crew (C/D type, up to 30 days at the discretion of BPO). I understand that the regular crew has to get C/D. But can the boat's owner who is also her skipper choose or is there a rule that he/she has to get one or the other. It seems that C/D is more limited in its scope but should be easier (theoretically) to get. Can anyone elucidate?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:33   #52

What I recall: a B visa is for entry and departure with commercial mode, it also has to be the same port and mode of transportation. Germany is amongst the countries that are included in the visa waiver program. You can stay up to 90 days I believe. Not sure though. You also have to have a return ticket.
A C visa is for seamen entering and departing by boat only. A D visa allows you to enter by boat and leave by plane and different ports. Length of allowable stay depends on documentation you provide I. E. Work slips, sign onto next assignment or your own story about what your plans are.
Old 24-03-2017, 09:42   #53

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Private yachts which will be cruising in U.S. waters for more than 29 days fall under "Travel purposes not permitted on Crewmember (D) Visas" Note that full documentation, including employment and tax records may be required when applying for a D Visa.

As stated previously, individuals arriving on non-approved carriers (i.e., private yachts) require a visa, typically B-2 (tourism), which may be obtained from any US embassy or consulate. Please refer to the US Department of State website for complete information regarding visa categories.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:56   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And.. in some cities folk walk into schools and slaughter kids.. because there's no gun control.. the world is full of nutters.. just gotta live.. or die with that fact..
That's what the London mayor says. Glad it comforts you. There's plenty of gun control in countries like England, Holland, Belgium, France, Germany as well as in a number of US states incl. where the school shootings were. Never stopped a shooting. Even if it would, cars kill people too, as do bombs, knives or about anything else.

It's the "nutters" as you call them, not the car or knife or gun. The problem is when these nutters are allowed to roam free to kill again, or when they organize like Al Nusra, ISIS etc. You can not accept that, you have to stand up to them, because they will only gladly kill us all if we only lift our chin to offer our throats.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:10   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

So now I understand why some are charged more than others; Aussies have to pay $360 because their own government also charges a lot of money to US citizens (I only paid $120). I saw something similar in Trinidad where US citizens had to pay double for a visa extension.

The length of the visa is also linked to which country you are from due to reciprocation agreements between the countries

UK to USA B1/B2 visa is for 10 years
Australia to USA B1/B2 visa is for 5 years

I am from the UK and got my Visa in Belmonpan, Belize and it took 2 weeks from start to finish
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 04:40   #56

This site has a lot of info regarding visa requirements.
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries