Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 15:08   #31

Re: Mexico enforcing its rules of entry

Really? A sailboat wandering across the mythical line in the ocean compared to the southern border?
cgilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 15:40   #32

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Really Boaters?? Your now crying that another country will now be enforcing their laws. Shame on those Law breakers. If you are a concern boater that leaves US's water borders, then you better have all information on those country's that you will be passing and or heading into, so you will know how to enter properly in case you have an emergency and need to enter.
I won't enter Canada with out knowing first hand and have a hard copy with me at all times. And i won't ever forget the 2 most needed flags.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 16:07   #33

Boat: Piver tri Serena

This summer, Mexico streamlined the International Arrival process and put it all online in English and Spanish for visitors’ benefit. Boat owners should start two weeks before departure by visiting at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroEmbarques/ Pay by credit card and keep this emailed receipt. You’ll need the receipt numbers to complete these next steps. You don't need to be the boat owner to get your sport fishing license; for sportfishing licenses, go to Conapesca | Sportfishing in Mexico
It's much more economical to buy the 12-month fishing license, if you go down often, but monthly, weekly or daily fishing licenses are available.
Boat owners also get their 10-year Temporary Import Permit in advance online, at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/ Then for tourist cards for yourself and crew, go to http://www.inm.gob.mx/php/page/instr...ajeros/en.html
NOTE: The Mexican Navy, Customs and Immigration have made quite a few public announcements to the US press and recreational boater groups that they are now starting to enforce Mexico border regulations by randomly inspecting yachts and commercial vessels between the border and Ensenada. We will have our paperwork in order before we cross into Mexican waters again this fall.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:16   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Great question!

goat

As he quotes the whole post...lol
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 14:32   #35

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Which has what to do with "only a few million mexicans get to stay"?

I don't come here to read political commentary or racist comments.
Sorry if I offended you!

I thought you were asking why this topic (Mexico enforcing ambiguous rules and regulations) is being discussed. I was explaining why the arbitrary enforcement of rules that cannot be interpreted the same way by three different Mexican officials is a problem for even daysailors out of San Diego.

You are right - US immigration policy has no place on this forum.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 15:11   #36

""This summer, Mexico streamlined the International Arrival process and put it all online in English and Spanish for visitors’ benefit. Boat owners should start two weeks before departure by visiting at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroEmbarques/ Pay by credit card and keep this emailed receipt."

It all sounds so simple when you say it that way!

I used the site you recommended and was totally stumped as to how to complete it. Then I realised I didn't even know what document or permit I was purchasing. I thought I would be trying to purchase a 180-day Tourist Permit but many of the questions asked me have nothing to do with a Tourist Permit.

The KEY thing you note on the 2nd page is that this is a SINGLE ENTRY PERMIT and is of no use to a boater who sails into Mexico several times a month. Here is a copy of the screen:

This stay status allows the foreigner to enter
the country for a stay no longer than 180 days
(whitout multiple entry and exit allowed)

This becomes more important when you get to the credit card page and they ask for $81 - for a single entry!

The site asks for boat name and nationality - what does that have to do with my Tourist Permit? What if I do not own a boat but am a guest on a boat? I've received dozens of Tourist Permits during the last 40-years and have never been asked for a Boat Name or License.

The site asks for "license number" but provides no explanation of what license. It is in the section about the boat name so do I put in the USCG document number or HIN? Or, maybe my drivers license? If I am going to be on my boat sometimes and a friends other times - what boat name...etc do I use?

The site asks for the number of passengers I will have on board. How the heck do I know the number of passengers? And what does that number have to do with my Tourist Permit?

In my previous four boat trips to Mexico it was essential that the number and names of passengers listed in the crew manifest exactly matches those onboard when inspected. How can I specify that when I have no specific plans to take anyone sailing?

The form wants to know my Port of Entry - well NONE - so what do I enter? I am sailing into and out of Mexican Waters with no visit to a Port of Entry.

Then, when I completed the forms (with fake numbers for the things I did not know) the bill came to $81 of which $20.30 was the Duty charge and the remaining $59.70 was listed under Total Payment with no explanation of what I was paying for.

I'm pretty sure I do not want to donate that money with no assurance the document I receive is valid (license number, # passengers, entry point). And, I do not want to pay $81 just for a day sail into Mexican waters, nor do my guests who happen to stop by for the afternoon.

Your tourist card link returns 404 - file not found. I read spanish pretty well and can find nothing on the root link imm.gob.mx that allows me to acquire a visa on line.

I love Mexico and have spent a lot of time on many boats sailing all over Baja California and Western Mexico but the issues raised here in San Diego are scary.
Old 12-08-2015, 17:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I realised I didn't even know what document or permit I was purchasing. I thought I would be trying to purchase a 180-day Tourist Permit ...
Right, this is all set up for recreational boat owners coming to Mexico. One of the other websites I listed is Immigration who issues all the Tourist Cards, and they are different if you're arriving on a boat.
this is a SINGLE ENTRY PERMIT and is of no use to a boater who sails into Mexico several times a month.
That's probably correct. Maybe you're looking for a Multiple Entry Visa, not a 180-day single entry Tourist Card.
they ask for $81 - for a single entry! Yes, that's for the boat cruising permit and one Tourist Card for the boat owner. You fill out the Crew List for your crew to get them their Tourist Cards. Individually, a Tourist Card costs about $23 US.
The site asks for boat name and nationality - what does that have to do with my Tourist Permit? If you are applying for an individual Tourist Card, go to the Immigration website.
What if I do not own a boat but am a guest on a boat?
In that case, the boat owners is supposed to go online and registers the boat and crew, gets it all done cheaper, faster online. That's one of the differences from the past.
I've received dozens of Tourist Permits during the last 40-years and have never been asked for a Boat Name or License.
Right, this is different, not like it used to be during the last 40 years. The websites listed above are new, tailored for recreational boat owners taking their boats and crew or guests into Mexican waters.
It is in the section about the boat name so do I put in the USCG document number or HIN? Or, maybe my drivers license? Tacoma, incorrect or fake names and numbers is what got 300 boats in trouble a few years back. Enter the USCG document # where it asks for it, and the HIN or hull identification number is different, appears on a different part of the boat owner's form.
If I am going to be on my boat sometimes and a friends other times - what boat name...etc do I use? Each time you take your boat into foreign waters, you have to register it again, just like taking a car, trailer boat or RV into foreign countries. But, if you're going to be on someone else's boat, it's up to the boat owner to take care of this, including your name and passport number on his or her crew list and getting you your Tourist Card.
The site asks for the number of passengers I will have on board. How the heck do I know the number of passengers?
If you're going as a passenger on any kind of commercial vessel (i.e. commercial sport fishing, diving, research), then none of this applies, because the boat's no longer recreational, it's commercial - whole different ball game. You're right, how could you know the number of passengers, let alone their passport numbers. The commercial fishing boat's registered owners must take care of this for all their passengers and crew, including Tourist Cards and Fishing Licenses.
In my previous four boat trips to Mexico it was essential that the number and names of passengers listed in the crew manifest exactly matches those onboard when inspected. How can I specify that when I have no specific plans to take anyone sailing? If your 4 previous boat trips to Mexico were on commercial vessels, then the owners or skippers took care of that, not you passengers. If you have no specific plans to take your own boat into Mexican waters, then don't worry about it.
The form wants to know my Port of Entry - well NONE - so what do I enter? I am sailing into and out of Mexican Waters with no visit to a Port of Entry. On the West Coast, Ensenada is the first Port of Entry, so that's what you write on the form, even if you don't go there. If you get boarded by the Mexican Navy and have not bothered to register your boat on the website, not bothered to do the online paperwork in advance of entering Mexican waters, they could legally tow your boat to the first Port of Entry and deport all the people. That's what all this is about. It's not like in the past. On the East Coast, the first Ports of Entry are either Puerto Juarez in Quintana Roo or Tampico in Vera Cruz.
And, I do not want to pay $81 just for a day sail into Mexican waters, nor do my guests who happen to stop by for the afternoon.
Sorry, the world is different now. If you want to day sail into Mexican waters with guests who just happen to stop by, it's different now.
I love Mexico and have spent a lot of time on many boats sailing all over Baja California and Western Mexico but the issues raised here in San Diego are scary.
Yeah, it's a gull darned scary world out there now, not like the past 40 years. Other than your difficulties on the internet, what further issues in San Diego are you referring to? Maybe someone else online can help you.
Old 12-08-2015, 18:48   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

There sure seems to be a big difference between the east and west coast of Mexico. I'm not even sure the west coast wants a zarpe or whatever when coming from the US yet. The officials on the east coast seem quite put out by not having one when coming from the US.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:49   #39

"Yeah, it's a gull darned scary world out there now, not like the past 40 years. Other than your difficulties on the internet, what further issues in San Diego are you referring to? Maybe someone else online can help you."

The original question was: What do I need to daysail into Mexican waters if I do not touch Mexican land and do not have fishing gear on board?

I still can find no answer to the question and this thread has only confused the issue.

Do I now understand, from what Navigator says that I need a single use permit to sail into Mexican waters every time I cross the border and I need to pay $81 US for that permit?

I guess I am really out of touch.

Navigator, as are others, seems very certain of his answers but I find no guidance as to use HIN or USCG document number and I personally know friends who have had trouble using either or both. If I apply online - who can provide the answer?

Then we find that the online web site is for a Cruising Permit not a Tourist Visa. The Mexican Navy has never mentioned I need a Cruising Permit but they insist I need a Visa or Tourist Permit.

A Tourist Permit that both the Ensenada Port Captain and Immigracion at the Tijuana border crossing say is not necessary?

None of this makes sense! My crew list can go from 0 to 5 in a 6-month period. I single hand, I have friends aboard, and I single hand but my cruising permit is supposed to show what?

Where do I acquire the Visa or Tourist Permit if the authorities tell me I do not need one. People keep telling me to go online but the online form is a single entry permit that is of little use to a sailor who crosses the border several times a month.

I am 100% committed to being 100% legal and in full compliance with Mexican regulations but no one seems to be able to tell me what those regulations require of me.

My previous four Mexican trips were on my boat or boats I was responsible for. I do know those details and know how to do that paperwork.

Enough - I'll just stay north of the border until I head south for an extended stay then I will go to Ensenada with no paperwork, as instructed by the Ensenada Port Captain, renew my TIP, get my 180-day visa, fishing licenses, and what ever else he tells me I need.
Old 12-08-2015, 21:03   #40

When entering Mexico from the south, a US flagged yacht needs to have a Zarpe from their last country. That goes for both Pacific and Atlantic sides. But when US flagged boats depart the US for Mexico, the USCG doesn't issue Zarpes, only for foreign flagged boats. There use to be a rotten egg official in the Cancun area who demanded a Zarpe but took money in lieu. So someone I know made up an official looking document and gave that to him - which stopped the mordida request. That guy is long gone.
Old 12-08-2015, 21:17   #41

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagivator View Post
When entering Mexico from the south, a US flagged yacht needs to have a Zarpe from their last country. That goes for both Pacific and Atlantic sides. But when US flagged boats depart the US for Mexico, the USCG doesn't issue Zarpes, only for foreign flagged boats. There use to be a rotten egg official in the Cancun area who demanded a Zarpe but took money in lieu. So someone I know made up an official looking document and gave that to him - which stopped the mordida request. That guy is long gone.
He is back and official. The US customs and BP have a form they can issue but it is only good for 24 hours ???? How can you plan a departure like that?The Mexicans would be cool with that, so you should get one even if it seems absurd.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 21:20   #42

It is no longer LEGAL to make a daysail from San Diego, cross into Mexican waters, and return to San Diego, while never touching Mexican land without ... registering your voyage on the website in response #33. It's easy. Start with the boat website that has Embarques in its name - that means boats. Use that receipt to complete the Immigration for Tourist Cards. Keep that receipt too. As long as you've done the online paperwork, just show that to the Navy patrol. The Mexican Consul in San Diego says more than 56,000 US boaters have already used the new websites. So you can't pretend you can't figure it out. However, if you need one of the US documentation services to help you the first time, I can recommend Dona Jenkins office on Rosecrans is a pro at this. She works with the sport fishing fleets too. ... It's long been illegal to cross into Mexican waters, fish or just sit, then turn around and cross back north. But now the Mexican government is through with 10 years of scoff laws, and the Navy is enforcing the laws. I'm sorry, but the US does not own the Coronado Islands. Mexico does.
Old 12-08-2015, 21:27   #43

I must apologize to the participants in this thread. I just could not accept the fact that so many things have changed in the way Mexico manages it's territorial waters. Nor could I understand how they wanted to make it darn near impossible to daysail into Mexican waters.

It is simple (but I found it so hard to understand or believe).

1. Plan the trip far enough ahead that I know the exact number of passengers and hope no one cancels or does a plus one. Complete the online form requesting a cruising permit and put in either the HIN or USCG #

1a. Make sure I have the passport number for each passenger, the date of issue, date of expiration, country of issue, and birth date.

2. Pay $81 for a one time cruising permit to sail my boat in Mexican waters

3. Tell each of my guests to apply online ahead of time for a Temporary Visa and pay $21 for that visa

I downloaded the Instructions for Data Entry for Passenger and Crew - item 4 requires all the data provided in the Instructions and will accept an EXCEL 2003 form for which they provide a template. Nice (if I knew what they wanted)

4. Have my guests notify me ahead of time they have their permits so I can fill out passenger list and e-mail it to the Mexican authorities. Provide the passport info and birthdates for each guest.

4a. Provide the Mexican authorities the Sea Record Number for each passenger
4b. Provide vessel SETRAM number
4c. Provide vessel Consignee or Agent name
4d. Provide arrival date and time of Mexican arrival and the Port name

I'm pretty sure I know 4a thru 4d.

5. Verify I receive an e-mail confirming the payment of my $81

6. Ask each guest to show me the e-mail they received confirming their $21 visa payment

7. Make sure I remove all fishing gear, boxes, tackle, spare line, life raft hooks because my guests do not want to pay for a license

8. Ensure I leave on the date that we planned and reported and not earlier than the time I planned and reported.

all this for a four hour afternoon sail - but, I do understand it is Mexico and they have every right to enforce any regulations they wish to enforce.

Ah -for the good old days!
Old 12-08-2015, 21:28   #44

Great, thanks for the info. We will get that CBP form in lieu of Zarpe, just to be safe side. Some CPB can be cool and date it so the 24-hr window covers your expected date of arrival. Most port captains allow another 24 hr grace period. From San Diego to Ensenada is doable in 24 hrs, but from Key West to Puerto Juarez (Cancun), it's not a sure thing due to offshore current and traffic and WX. But still an improvement if it satisfies the rotten egg you know where.
Old 12-08-2015, 21:47   #45

First get your boat permit and tourist cards for your guests all at one time online, easy shmeasy! Then get your fishing licenses, because I know you really want to fish around the Coronados. Yummy dorado and sea bass. Any SD bait & tackle store has the fishing licenses, or you can do it online at www.SportfishigninMexico.com
OK, now I'm done trying to convince you how easy it is to go have fun in Mexico. See you down there in November.

Tags
Mexico, rule