Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27   #1

Php Enforcing 40% Tax on Overstaying Yachts?

Folks,

As some of you may know. According to the law, visiting yachts are supposed to leave the Philippines after a year's time or they are considered "imported" and a 40% levy then applies.

Apparently, however, the law is never enforced. Many folks sail in, and never leave, or leave only after a number of years, and I have not heard of anyone being penalized for it.

Does anyone know of an instance where the law has actually been enforced? If so, how, when, and under what circumstances?

Also, has anyone left Php without clearance and had a problem clearing in to Malaysia or any other neighborhing nation?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:41   #2

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Php Enforcing 40% Tax on Overstaying Yachts?

There was a similar post a short while ago, here it is:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nes-60173.html

I am communicating with a agent at the moment, he claims to be a surveyor and coast guard officer hasn't heard of this restriction, but does want information of any boat name and approximate date, to check the files.

Its possible that this rule is a method by which a certain officer could use, to "shake you down" as perhaps the rule does not exist.

To answer Gone2long question about escaping without clearance, I recall "atoll" did it from Philippines arriving Singapore, you could pm him, think his explanation was he was escaping from a cyclone, but not sure if he used that explanation.

If any one does have information on any boat charged this duty. Could they respond to me with pm the names and approx date please, I'm considering a philippines purchase and want to get to the bottom of this.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:27   #3

Re: Php Enforcing 40% Tax on Overstaying Yachts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
There was a similar post a short while ago, here it is:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nes-60173.html

I am communicating with a agent at the moment, he claims to be a surveyor and coast guard officer hasn't heard of this restriction, but does want information of any boat name and approximate date, to check the files.

Its possible that this rule is a method by which a certain officer could use, to "shake you down" as perhaps the rule does not exist.

To answer Gone2long question about escaping without clearance, I recall "atoll" did it from Philippines arriving Singapore, you could pm him, think his explanation was he was escaping from a cyclone, but not sure if he used that explanation.

If any one does have information on any boat charged this duty. Could they respond to me with pm the names and approx date please, I'm considering a philippines purchase and want to get to the bottom of this.
Noonsite quotes a 1 year restriction. That is my source. I have tried to find this "law" or rule via the MARINA site and using Chan Robles on line, which lists all PI laws - import, customs, marine or otherwise. So far, I have found nothing definitive. Like you, I would love to have a definitive answer on all of this. Perhaps you can check thoroughly check the above or have your agent do so.

Having a definitive answer to questions like this would help to clarify the actual value of visiting yachts which have been here for years. Seemingly, that would be to the advantage of all concerned.

Best regards,

G2L

PS - Personally, I wonder that, with the Aquino administration going after tax and import evaders, and with their apparent attempts to eliminate "corruption" in government (with emphasis on the notorious Customs Bureau) they may also be trying to collect all fees that are actually on the books. Please take that for what it is worth, since I have no hard evidence to support this assumption.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht