Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2004, 12:43   #1
cruiser

Kiribati

When I arrived at Christmas Island , about 1,000 miles south of Hawaii in late October 2002 after a non stop passage from Sooke BC the immigration lady there told me that my Canadian yacht required US registry and a US coastguard certificate of seaworthiness. When I told her that the US was a different country she said " Don't lie to me, leave immediately" When I said ' It's hurricane season" she said " That's your problem" . As there was a hurricane blowing between me and Hawaii at the time I was forced to sail another 2,000 miles to Tonga during the hurricane season. Luckily the hurricanes didn't start until after Christmas.I've since heard of other cruisers being kicked out for no good reason ,and one person having his passport stolen by the same immigration lady after she told him" You look like a terrorist". She has been twice investigated for extortion.
There are other reasons to give Kiribati a miss. Locals from there have told me that a woman in Kiribati has a legal status below that of a dog. Women found waliking alone there are considered fair game for rapists. By walking alone they are considered by the legal system there to be" asking for it."
With the Line Islands being used as a Botany Bay style dumping ground for criminals from Tarawa , it could be dangerous.You see a lot of women there with bruises and black eyes. They have no chance of any support from anyone there.
It's too bad as the Line Islands are ideally located as a place to spend the hurricane season.
Brent Swain
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kiribati