Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2021, 09:55   #31

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Just one old farts opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
The most difficult ships to deal with in my experience are US Navy vessels who basically insist that you keep clear, no matter what they are doing because... well because they have guns.
I have never seen a US Navy ship alter course for anybody. I am sure it happens, maybe...
Ooh, I like to make fun of the USN. Some time back, I had the watch (Canadian Navy destroyer) just out of the entrance to Juan de Fuca strait, heading out to sea. Out of the blue got a VHF call from "Navy Unit (whatever number)" calling us by name, he tells me he's 20 miles ahead of us and has our CPA at under 5 miles, and asks my intentions. This is the days before AIS - he got our particulars from tactical data link, because y'know we're allies. As it happened, I was tracking him on radar (grease marker on plotting head); Ops was probably tracking him too, but he didn't fall within the control order yet.

"My intentions" eh? My response - "I'm going to maintain my course and speed, monitor the situation, and maybe give you a wave as we pass." Didn't bother us again.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 15:00   #32

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

About those Old Farts. Two men were alone on an elevator when suddenly one turned to the other with an unhappy expression on his face asks, "Did you do that?" The other man asks, "Did you?" The First one answers, "No way." "Then why are you asking me?" Says the Second man.
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 22:09   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
I did have a USCG cutter alter course for me in Key West this year. My co-captain anchored right on the edge of the channel and current put us into the channel a little ways. Cutter coming out of dock asked our intentions. I told him we were at anchor fishing and asked if he needed us to move. He said nope just stay where you are and I'll put you on my starboard. Quite a few of their crew were on the rail as they passed us. I know it's not uncommon to have a lot of sailors on deck when leaving port. Don't know if they were just hanging out, seeing what kind of fish we were catching, or just seeing what idiots forced them to alter course
Doc, just curious: did you have an anchor ball displayed, and if not, did they mention it in the conversation?

One of those times when it might actually have helped clarify a situation!

Jim