Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2024, 08:33   #1

Boat: Grampian 30
IRPCS/COLREGS Source

Wondering if anyone can point me to a source for current, verifiable, unedited and uninterpreted IRPCS? Just the straight dope from the horse’s mouth.

When I go to the IMO website I can’t find a page, or download of the most current version of the convention, either paid or free.

https://www.imo.org/en/About/Convent...es/COLREG.aspx
https://www.imo.org/en/About/Convent...nventions.aspx

When I google COLREGS I end up with various training organizations, or government agencies, and their interpretations, country specific exceptions, etc.

Even this Wikipedia page seems to warn that the source needs verification:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...lisions_at_Sea

Lacking a verified primary source I default to the Canadian Collision Regulations which appear (to me) to list the IRPCS unedited, along with Canadian modifications where applicable.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...r.c.,_c._1416/
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 08:49   #2

Boat: Hylas 46
Re: IRPCS/COLREGS Source

Here are the USCG version:
NavRules
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 08:58   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

As far as operating in canada goes ... that is the definitive text.
However you may find what you're looking for here:
https://treaties.un.org/pages/showDe...000002800fcf87
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 09:15   #4

Thank you, I am not looking for a country specific document but rather the stand alone IRPCS directly from the primary source, whoever that is. I thought it was the IMO.

When I follow the UN link provided https://treaties.un.org/pages/showDe...000002800fcf87 it takes me to what appears to be a listing of signatories to the IRPCS. When I click on Canada, for example, I am taken to specifics about the accession, and there is a link to a .pdf which seems to be copies of the official signatory document for each country. However, no IRPCS.

I am not looking for links to other country's versions of the IRPCS, I can, and have, already found those.

Perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist, which is a perfectly good answer.
Old 12-03-2024, 09:50   #5

Boat: Hylas 46

I believe the document you're looking for is at the link provided by Kelkara. It's at the bottom of the first table (before the countries) under the "Text documents" line. See here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	UN IRPCS.png
Views:	12
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	287543

If you go to Part A on page 6 of that document (English version), that is the start of the COLREGS. You will then see that they are identical to the "International Rules" in the USCG document I linked without any interpretation.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 10:11   #6

Great, that does seem to be a .pdf of the 1973 IRPCS with a list of signatories and revisions as of 1977.

Without going through the entire document I agree, it appears identical to the 'International Regulations' listed by both the US and Canada sources.

It's unclear (to me) whether that is the most up-to-date version.

I am still mystified why I can't find this by going to the IMO website, as they are the body behind this and many other key maritime conventions. In fact, I can't find any of the documents such as SOLAS, MARPOL, etc., just descriptions of what they are.
Old 12-03-2024, 10:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I think this is up to date

https://assets.publishing.service.go...bc/msn1781.pdf
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 11:55   #8

Thanks, it does seem to be up to date.
Old 12-03-2024, 12:39   #9

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekton73 View Post
I am still mystified why I can't find this by going to the IMO website, as they are the body behind this and many other key maritime conventions. In fact, I can't find any of the documents such as SOLAS, MARPOL, etc., just descriptions of what they are.
They do list the COLREGS on their publication page, which you can purchase from suppliers ... eg.

https://mdnautical.com/navigation-re...3-edition.html
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 15:46   #10

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Although it’s not a direct source, I find the Imray “Rules and Signals” app a great reference as it includes the full Colregs text but also lots of other useful information.

I can carry it in my pocket so if I see someone flying an unusual flag (e.g. “Mike” from a different thread) I can look it up in seconds.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 15:58   #11

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Why do you want the 72 Conventions, instead of the applicable national law?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2024, 20:38   #12

Thanks all for the replies. I had search blinders on looking for a link on the IMO pages I linked that would take me to a download or pdf and didn't look further on the site. Appreciate being pointed to the purchasing options for publications.

As to why, personal interest and so I could compare it to the Canadian Collision Regulations as kind of a reference check. I'm nerdy that way. Also prompted by recent threads on various COLREGS topics, where inland waters and local/national rules have come into the discussion on top of reference to International rules. I think the recent comment that set me trying to find this was regarding fishing boats, the definition of fishing vessel, and irpcs rules 18 and 26.
Old 12-03-2024, 21:01   #13

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Also prompted by recent threads on various COLREGS topics, where inland waters and local/national rules have come into the discussion on top of reference to International rules. I think the recent comment that set me trying to find this was regarding fishing boats, the definition of fishing vessel, and irpcs rules 18 and 26.
In general, as with the American version at https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/navigati...es-amalgamated, country-specific differences will be called out as those are specific to local waters per Rule 1(b).

It's still good to cross-check, as errors do crop up from time to time, e.g. a few years back I found NOAA's version was missing 34(g) and (h). Here's a list of updates to the International Rules you can keep an eye out for:

International Maritime Organization (IMO) resolutions:
A.464(12), November 19th, 1981
A.626(15), November 19th, 1987
A.678(16), October 19th, 1989
A.736(18), November 4th, 1993
A.910(22), November 29th, 2001
A.1004(25), November 29th, 2007
A.1085(28), December 4th, 2013
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2024, 15:31   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
As to why, personal interest and so I could compare it to the Canadian Collision Regulations as kind of a reference check. I'm nerdy that way. Also prompted by recent threads on various COLREGS topics, where inland waters and local/national rules have come into the discussion on top of reference to International rules. I think the recent comment that set me trying to find this was regarding fishing boats, the definition of fishing vessel, and irpcs rules 18 and 26.
Alrighty then! Look forward to your input in any upcoming colregs threads
The Canadian rules have a lot of distinct differences from the IRPCS. Many of these differences are mirrored in the US Inland rules, and the USCG amalgamated rules page is a wonderfully laid-out format for seeing those differences at a glance.
Enjoy geeking out over the Rules
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote