Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2024, 08:11   #1

Irish Registration - Unbroken Proof of Ownership Problem

Hi Everyone,
Sorry about the Newbie post here, but I've searched and not found any specific answers to my question.

I am quite close to purchasing a boat which is currently on the UK Part III SSR. I would like to register the boat in Ireland should we go ahead with the purchase but it appears that the Irish Registrars will not register a ship without an original build certificate and a complete ownership history with original Bills of Sale going back to new or a Certificate of Deletion from a Title Registry (Not UK SSR) and a complete ownership history since that.

The boat I am interested in is 35 years old and only has a history going back to two owners, the first of whom has unfortunately passed away and has been on the UK SSR back to that point.

I've been trying to phone the Irish Registrars (at multiple offices) for the last two weeks but no one answered the phone. Has anyone ever successfully found a solution or workaround for this problem?

Cheers
All Winds
AllWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Irish Registration - Unbroken Proof of Ownership Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllWinds View Post
Hi Everyone,
Sorry about the Newbie post here, but I've searched and not found any specific answers to my question.

I am quite close to purchasing a boat which is currently on the UK Part III SSR. I would like to register the boat in Ireland should we go ahead with the purchase but it appears that the Irish Registrars will not register a ship without an original build certificate and a complete ownership history with original Bills of Sale going back to new or a Certificate of Deletion from a Title Registry (Not UK SSR) and a complete ownership history since that.

The boat I am interested in is 35 years old and only has a history going back to two owners, the first of whom has unfortunately passed away and has been on the UK SSR back to that point.

I've been trying to phone the Irish Registrars (at multiple offices) for the last two weeks but no one answered the phone. Has anyone ever successfully found a solution or workaround for this problem?

Cheers
All Winds
Not knowing which of the offices you tried to reach out to, but normally the Irish register is quite accessible, both by phone as well as email. Furthermore I found them always very helpful in supplying information.

Note that if you plan on only sailing the Irish waters, you are not obliged to register your vessel, depending on the measurements and all.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Irish Registration - Unbroken Proof of Ownership Problem

What documents are required to register the boat in Ireland?

Proof of Ownership: Bill of sale, transfer of ownership, or other proof of boat ownership documents.

Boat Specifications: Details about the boat's make, model, size, engine specifications, and safety equipment.

Valid Identification: Personal identification such as a passport, driver's license, or national ID.

Payment Receipts: Proof of payment for boat registration fees.

Insurance: Proof of liability insurance for the vessel (if required).

For boat specifications a professional survey is normally sufficient.

Do you need to register your vessel.

With the exception of some boats used on the inland waterways, there is no legal requirement to register boats based or used for recreational purposes in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and United Kingdom and associated territorial waters.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:06   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Irish Registration - Unbroken Proof of Ownership Problem

Don't know the Irish situation, but here in the USA I have encountered a similar problem getting Coast Guard documentation on a French boat with unknown builder. I paid a professional documentation service that took care of all the paperwork, and the fee was reasonable. It was worth it in my case.

Tags
ownership, registration