Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 05:56   #31

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: International Code of Signals - Single Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Adding the question of watch keeping may just confuse the issue, because then you have to talk about whether an anchored vessel is required under the rules to keep a watch.

The OP's issue is really just about Rule 18, Responsibilities Between Vessels.
The power driven vessel underway, but not making way (Mike flag) is still required to get out of the way of a vessel not under command (or restricted in ability to maneuver, or engaged in fishing, or a sailing vessel). A vessel at anchor is not required to weigh anchor and get out of the way.
Indeed. The Regs require that there is a competent watch even when at anchor. Although lets face it - no recreational sailors do this (if for no other reason then simply a lack of persons on board)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 13:43   #32

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
snip..
A vessel at anchor is not required to weigh anchor and get out of the way.
Not so sure about that. In some circumstances they migh be. The requirements for watch keeping at anchor kind of suggests it. Anyways if the collison is foreseeable for some reasonable time.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 15:42   #33

[QUOTE=JoeRobertJr;3878865]Adding the question of watch keeping may just confuse the issue, because then you have to talk about whether an anchored vessel is required under the rules to keep a watch.

The OP's issue is really just about Rule 18, Responsibilities Between Vessels.
The power driven vessel underway, but not making way (Mike flag) is still required to get out of the way of a vessel not under command (or restricted in ability to maneuver, or engaged in fishing, or a sailing vessel). A vessel at anchor is not required to weigh anchor and get out of the way.[/QUOTE]

All vessels are required to avoid collisions under all circumstances.

It is a simple matter for a motorized vessel at anchor to power up and move about its anchor, or to take in or let out more rode to shift positions, or to just detach from its anchor to maneuver toward safety. Raising anchor typically takes a bit of time but is an option to avoid say another vessel that is dragging and raising anchor to maneuver is routinely accomplished.

A sailing vessel can easily sail around its anchor. I routinely will sail forward to pick up my anchor.

A proper lookout by all possible means is required at all times that a vessel is at anchor and that is not just to be watching but so as to proactively react when necessary.

Excellent Reference:

The Obligations of Anchored Vessel to Avoid Collision at Sea

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259432562_The_Obligations_of_an_Anchored_Vessel_to _Avoid_Collision_at_Sea

Snipets:

"a vessel at anchor is still considered “at sea”. As such, an effective and proper watch or watches must continue to be kept at all times to verify the vessel’s anchor position and proper operation of the vessel’s lights and whistle signals, veer additional chain, detect a dragging anchor, and take reasonable measures upon the approach of another vessel. The duty officer should have all relevant information and maintain an anchor watch adequate for the foreseeable circumstances and conditions. The second anchor, the main engine and the power of windlass should be prepared for emergent operation if the circumstance so required."

OBLIGATIONS AFTER INVOLVE RISK OF COLLISION.
In order to avoid a collision with another vessel bearing down on her anchored position, an anchored vessel should be prepared to take whatever reasonable actions as the specific circumstances require (Prospector, 1958). It is not unusual for vessels to share a common anchorage. In the event that there is another vessel dragging anchor towards your vessel, the officer on duty should inform the Master immediately. In the meantime, actions should be taken to draw the attention of the other vessel in case the incident is undetected, make ready own engines, and send forward the crew to weigh up the anchor (Danton,2009). Similarly situation is that a vessel not under command (NUC) approaches your vessel. Apparently the NUC vessel is at the mercy of winds and the seas, therefore she is not qualified to carry out a manoeuvre to prevent the collision (Salinas et al., 2012). For the anchored vessel, action could be taken would be very limited and dependent on the time available. If the time is ample, the anchored vessel should be prepared to weigh anchor and shift anchorage location to another place. In case that the time is very limited, in conjunction with working her helm, the anchored vessel with power ready can, and should, use her engines to assist avoiding a collision. The failure to do that will make the anchored vessel be liable for a collision (Sabine, 1974). As for a vessel underway and an anchored vessel, obviously it is the bounden duty of the vessel underway to keep clear of the anchored vessel even the vessel is in a fairway or elsewhere at an improper position. However, the anchored vessel still may be held in fault for a collision due to her obstinately refusal to move from her anchorage where she necessarily endanger the underway vessel that is alone unable to avoid collision (Defender, 1921). In this case the anchored vessel is obliged to do what she can to assist the other one to clear her, either by using her engines, sheering her helm, paying out chain or in any other way possible and failure to do so may be held to be negligence (Gault, 1998).

CONCLUSION. This article attempts to provide a comprehensive overview, showing that the concept of an ‘anchored vessel’ is more complicated than it might appear at first sight. While recognizing that anchored vessels are at a distinct disadvantage in their ability to move, it is nevertheless considered that good seamanship demands that she must follow a number of risk management practices. Based on the principles and good seamanship requirements of COLREGs, the anchored vessel is still required to take active and positive measures, depending upon the specific circumstances, to avoid a collision. Through the discussion in the above context, it is indicated that there are a number of obligations imposed on an anchored vessel. First, the anchored vessel should be properly positioned, properly lit at nights exhibited at day. Secondly, the anchored vessel must maintain an effective and proper watch at all time and deploy well-preparation at all times for emergent operation. In addition, the anchored vessel has a duty to take whatever reasonable measures to avoid a collision as the specific circumstances so required."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 18:09   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
It is a simple matter for a motorized vessel at anchor to power up and move about its anchor, or to take in or let out more rode to shift positions, or to just detach from its anchor to maneuver toward safety. Raising anchor typically takes a bit of time but is an option to avoid say another vessel that is dragging and raising anchor to maneuver is routinely accomplished.

A sailing vessel can easily sail around its anchor. I routinely will sail forward to pick up my anchor.
That it is a "simple matter" to weigh anchor to get out of the way is questionable. I mean, if I am sitting in my cockpit actively watching the boat traffic around me, and I see a vessel heading towards me, by the time I can confirm that it is not going to go around me, there is absolutely no way I could start my engine and weigh anchor and move. Just no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Excellent Reference:
The Obligations of Anchored Vessel to Avoid Collision at Sea
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259432562_The_Obligations_of_an_Anchored_Vessel_to _Avoid_Collision_at_Sea
That is an interesting read, but even in the Introduction, the authors admit "However, there are no direct or clear rules inCOLREGs regarding the obligations of anchored vessels to avoid collision. "
The paper is pretty clear that even in the case of a not-under-command collision with an anchored vessel, "For the anchored vessel, action could be taken would be very limited and dependent on the time available. If the time is ample, the anchored vessel should be prepared to weigh anchor and shift anchorage location to another place."

So, my stance, even after reading this paper, is that a vessel at anchor would share some of the fault in a collision only in an extreme situation, like the NUC vessel called 10 minutes out saying they were on a collision course, and the anchored vessel needed only 5 minutes to weigh and move.

But, sincerely, thanks for the link to the article. It was an interesting read.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 06:52   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

Not to be obtuse, but what use is a signal flag if most of the people on the water have no idea what it means...?

Many do not understand or respect the COLREGS...

They would better understand an orange reflector triangle on the stern as a warning,,,

My two cents

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 06:58   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Not to be obtuse, but what use is a signal flag if most of the people on the water have no idea what it means...?

Many do not understand or respect the COLREGS...

They would better understand an orange reflector triangle on the stern as a warning,,,

My two cents

Cheers
You are unfortunately correct. Few cruisers understand the meaning of signal flags. So they are of little unless you are trying to communicate with professionally educated sea officers

Sadly many cruisers do not even know the proper place to fly their national flag
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:00   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
The point of the signal flags is communication between vessels with crew that do understand what they mean. They are optional, not required like the 72 COLREG day shapes are required, and not intended to communicate status for collision avoidance.

Of course anyone can look up what the flags mean if they see a vessel flying them.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 21:16   #38

I can’t be bothered posting quotes from rules or signals ect go read them at your leisure.

Read rule 19.
Then go read the annex which specifies the correct signals and when to use them.

If you get bored you can read the rest of the sound signals and which rule applies.

5 short and rapid blast has a specific meaning surprisingly the flag has the same meaning.
No you don’t sound 5 when you are dragging your anchor because it means something else. Quite specifically,
Sound when you are in doubt of another vessel’s intentions, somebody else can cut and paste exact phrase.
If you happen to be in doubt of another vessels intentions while you are dragging your anchor go ahead sound 5 short. But not because you are dragging,

M has a specific meaning amazing both the flag and sound signal mean the same thing.

The morse for M is two long,
Read rule 19 when do you sound 2 long blasts at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

What is the morse 1 long blast? E what does the flag mean.
Go read it
My vessel is underway making way.
So what is the sound signal for a vessel underway making way in fog?

Guess what?
Surprise surprise, There is actually a flag for I am dragging my anchor.

Y or Yankee
.-..

So what sound signal means I am dragging my anchor
Do you still need three guesses?

Those same signals can be made by light.

Rigs ect typically use the signal U ..-
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 23:58   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
What is the morse 1 long blast? E what does the flag mean.
Not quite sure of your meaning here, but one long transliterated to Morse would be "T",not "E" which would be one SHORT.

But seriously, the idea of a short handed sailing yacht trying to communicate via flag signals is pretty off scale. The size of flags appropriate to a 30-45 foot yacht are too damn small to be seen at much of a distance and will often be obscured by sails. Hardly a reliable means of communicating, especially under duress. Perhaps it makes folks feel really salty to pontificate on such matters, but those of us actually out cruising full time seldom have much respect for the practicality. For instance, should I be actively dragging my anchor I'll be more concerned with retrieving the gear and getting under way than fussing with the flag locker, looking for the damn Y pennant. We have no handy midshipmen to do that for us...

Day shapes are a different matter. Not so hard to see, usually deployed at leisure, not during a tense moment and understood by a larger (yet damn small) fraction of sailors.

Jim
Old 19-03-2024, 14:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not quite sure of your meaning here, but one long transliterated to Morse would be "T",not "E" which would be one SHORT.

But seriously, the idea of a short handed sailing yacht trying to communicate via flag signals is pretty off scale. The size of flags appropriate to a 30-45 foot yacht are too damn small to be seen at much of a distance and will often be obscured by sails. Hardly a reliable means of communicating, especially under duress. Perhaps it makes folks feel really salty to pontificate on such matters, but those of us actually out cruising full time seldom have much respect for the practicality. For instance, should I be actively dragging my anchor I'll be more concerned with retrieving the gear and getting under way than fussing with the flag locker, looking for the damn Y pennant. We have no handy midshipmen to do that for us...

Day shapes are a different matter. Not so hard to see, usually deployed at leisure, not during a tense moment and understood by a larger (yet damn small) fraction of sailors.

Jim
Yep you are correct. Stupid typo T not E both of which have specific meanings.

The point being sound or signals have the same meaning as the flags.
Old 19-03-2024, 14:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Sounds like you need to display the Not Under Command (NUC) signal. Though I don’t recall what that is.
NUC doesn't apply while at anchor.
If you combine NUC and Anchor lights or Shapes means your are now aground.

Tags
single