Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 11:15   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Holding Tanks

Somewhere in those 200-odd pages (the Clean Waters Act being more easily found under the name 33 USC 1311) I saw a reference to vessels built after 1985 but I'm damned if I'm going to read 200 pages to find out whether a potty is legal.

I think a good topologist could make the point that a boat is similar to a torus, and that a hole in a boat is equal to the hole in a donut, so that whatever is ejected through the hole, wasn't ejected FROM the donut. or boat. Topologists are good at that stuff, they make politicians seem like amateurs.

What's a torus with multiple holes called, anyhow??

John-
After the gungo-ho zero tolerance USCG Commandant from the 80's got replaced...I think it was in the 90's tht the USCG finally got tired of being slapped by Congressmen with po'd donors, ergh, constituents, and the new boss went on record to say the USCG now accepted the fact that "secured" meant what Congress thought it meant, i.e. SECURED. If you can't access it, can't use it, can't reach it, it is SECURED. And they specifically acknowledged that zipties, locked doors, and similar (duh!) ways of ensuring the head couldn't flush overboard, were "SECURED".
Whatever it was, however it was...and since that was pre-internet you'd probably have to serve a FOIA request on the USCG to get the real paperwork...the USCG has long accepted that secured means secured. A local bubba might choose to argue differently, but that's only because he's looking to write paper and he figures you won't appeal or prosecute, you'll just pay up and move on.

You'd probably find something in the back issues of the boating mags as well, since it was big news a tthe time--both that the USCG could be so intentionally obtuse, and then again, that they finally could see the light. I suspect some from Congress had a quiet conversation and said "What part of 'we're gonna cancel your budget, all of it?' don't you understand, Commandant?" and got that one nailed down.

I wonder, if I post my MARPOL and oil discharge placards in Mandarin or Babylonian, would that still be sufficient?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
We have significant problems with bacterial blooms here in Tampa Bay a couple of times a year, and discharge from boats is unquestionably a contributing factor. So it is not ONLY inside marinas!
Again...Where are the facts? Id discharge from boats causing these blooms? A test was done to confirm it was human waste? That is was human waste from boats?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:32   #18
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

It's not human waste, it's the fertelizer run off from farms and the fancy lawns being watered by illegal aliens, who then run 2 stroke leaf bowers for several hours a day, just blowing grass clippings from one mcmansion to the next. Get your facts straight!!
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:34   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There you go, letting facts get in the way of a perfectly good witchhunt. That's just not the way things are done in the colonies.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:26   #20

Are you serious??????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Do you ever plan to come within 3 miles of the coast of anywhere but third world countries?

Do you like seeing turds around your boat???? Me either ...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
It's not human waste, it's the fertelizer run off from farms and the fancy lawns being watered by illegal aliens, who then run 2 stroke leaf bowers for several hours a day, just blowing grass clippings from one mcmansion to the next. Get your facts straight!!
May I see your study please. be sure to include 1) Type of Algae. 2)Type of Fecal cloriform matter, Enterococcus bacteria and a parts per million concentration. While you're at it please document that "illegal Aliens with leaf blowers are blowing grass clippings from McMansions". I'm sure you have filmed this, asked for green cards and taken samples from the water immediately after an incident.
After all...like you say, I should get my facts straight. I'm sure once you have shown us your data, we'll certainly have a better understanding of the facts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-04-2012, 15:36   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
May I see your study please. be sure to include 1) Type of Algae. 2)Type of Fecal cloriform matter, Enterococcus bacteria and a parts per million concentration. While you're at it please document that "illegal Aliens with leaf blowers are blowing grass clippings from McMansions". I'm sure you have filmed this, asked for green cards and taken samples from the water immediately after an incident.
After all...like you say, I should get my facts straight. I'm sure once you have shown us your data, we'll certainly have a better understanding of the facts.

This goes both ways. Please provide data that proves that boaters are responsible for these allege blooms. I personally think that it is leakage from city water treatment facilities and yard runoff of fertilizers

I do use a holding tank until I can figure out a way to deal with composting toilet, but blaming boaters on large algae blooms seems implausible to me.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:37   #23
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'm not saying you don't have all sorts of turds down there. But the alge blooms are every where and the turds play a very little part. Also fence off mexico and make 4 stroke leaf blowers.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:08   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The craze for no discharge areas is just a bunch politicians trying to get their names in the news so they can justify their salaries.
good one. if we would take a closer look at what happens when shore side spills happen .. we might understand the difference between a million gallons of raw sewage and what might be pumped out of a small boat
Old 16-04-2012, 16:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
This goes both ways. Please provide data that proves that boaters are responsible for these allege blooms. I personally think that it is leakage from city water treatment facilities and yard runoff of fertilizers

I do use a holding tank until I can figure out a way to deal with composting toilet, but blaming boaters on large algae blooms seems implausible to me.
I use a holding tank also and I totally agree with all of us doing our part. I was not advocating running the head, full throttle, into the water ways. My statement was in response to the "blame-throwers" around here. Facts are based on a data. I'm willing to go with something that is substantiated. Not random allocations on personal beliefs. Although I believe a mono is better than a cat...just kidding!