Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 18:05   #1

Boat: Hunter 50 CC
First Hand Accounts of Legally Cruising with Firearms

As you can see from the title I have a question that I know has the potential to get volatile but...

I'll ask the question up front: For those who have read Noonsite and looked at the available customs information on Caribbean countries website, then gone to those countries, have your experiences been close to what you expected, or have they been very different than what you expected?

The question is for those who have, or do cruise the Caribbean and declare the presence of one or more firearms when they check into a country. I have read all of the threads over the last three years or so that have anything to do with issues that I find to be pertinent to our cruising plans.

I have looked on Noonsite and the information there runs from no restriction, to complete prohibition of anything more lethal than a butter knife. The most common data with respect to firearms is that the weapons must be declared, but they don't say what customs will do. Some of them state that customs will secure the weapons until you leave their country. Some of them only prohibit certain types of weapons.

I have no intention of breaking the laws of the countries we choose to visit, and I can live with having to make a decision to throw a weapon overboard if we really want to visit a country that would jail us for a declared weapon, although we would quite likely just avoid that country.

Please don't reply if you just want to tell me that there is no reason to have a firearm onboard or that there is no way to defend myself and family with one.

Thanks in advance for those who choose to share their experiences.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:45   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: First hand accounts of legally cruising with firearms

If you decide to take a firearm, make it a standard (no mods) Mossberg shotgun or equivalent. No shortened barrels, pistol grips etc. Don't bring anything else, not even a .22 target pistol for practice shooting.

Second, make sure you have a good, sturdy gun locker which can be sealed by customs if needed.

The reasons for the above are that a standard shotgun is often viewed more as a tool than a weapon. Much like a machete. Many locals take them (if they can afford one) when hiking through jungle, swamps etc. for protection vs snakes, crocs and other wildlife... people are used to them in that role. They normally have rifles for hunting.

Handguns (anything easily concealable) cause big problems almost everywhere, as do assault rifles.

Make sure you have the original invoice which states the serial number (= source document). Also make sure you have an exact inventory of type and number of shells. You need all that for declaring it.

I have reported a shotgun in countries that are supposed to collect them for the duration of your stay but they didn't require me to bring it in. I once had to tell it was safely inside a locked gun locker and that was good enough. I have heard that others had to bring the same type of gun in with the same officer. I think the customs officers look you in the eye and profile you... and I somehow come out looking good and they can decide let it under your responsibility... or not.

There are some countries where you have to bring it in no matter what. Trinidad and Bonaire come to mind.

I don't think you really need one anymore because the tricky places have become no-go places. The biggest risk is riots/looters after hurricane or other natural disaster.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 20:02   #3

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Nick,

Thanks for the advice. From what I've experienced in my limited sailing in the Caribbean, I agree that they are not needed for the most part. But there are certainly exceptions, which we will avoid if at all possible.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 20:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Nick,

Thanks for the advice. From what I've experienced in my limited sailing in the Caribbean, I agree that they are not needed for the most part. But there are certainly exceptions, which we will avoid if at all possible.

Lucky Larry
Whatever you do, stay away from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico. Without a gun you can go to Mexico. You can still go to the Rogues and Aves archipelagos of Venezuela and the Bay Islands of Honduras.

Be careful in St Vincent, St Lucia and be street-wise everywhere else. Avoid tourist traps.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 19-06-2012, 05:10   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think the customs officers look you in the eye and profile you... and I somehow come out looking good...
But you have the Jedi mind trick - "...these are not the guns you are looking for..."

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 05:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
But you have the Jedi mind trick - "...these are not the guns you are looking for..."
That must be it! plus they know the lightsaber is gonna come out if they don't fall for that

ciao!
Nick.
Old 19-06-2012, 06:10   #7

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Whatever you do, stay away from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico. Without a gun you can go to Mexico. You can still go to the Rogues and Aves archipelagos of Venezuela and the Bay Islands of Honduras.

Be careful in St Vincent, St Lucia and be street-wise everywhere else. Avoid tourist traps.

cheers,
Nick.
nick is the carib side of nica still a problem? i had lots of "stories" prior to going to the pacific side (by plane and taxi) for 3 weeks one summer and 6 weeks the next, have not visited the carib side or by boat, but had have nothing but wonderful experiences in that country...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:14   #8

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

to contribute to the thread, based on my limited cruising experience in the bahamas, lots of people are cruising with firearms (an AK47 in one case on a 43 viking motor cruiser), not a lot of people are declaring said firearms...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:31   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
nick is the carib side of nica still a problem? i had lots of "stories" prior to going to the pacific side (by plane and taxi) for 3 weeks one summer and 6 weeks the next, have not visited the carib side or by boat, but had have nothing but wonderful experiences in that country...
Yes, I wouldn't have listed it otherwise. It isn't so much real pirates as just trouble in general incl. from officials.

I must add the whole of Hispaniola to my list, except maybe a couple of places in Republica Dominica, like Luperon... but it's been a long time since I've been there so my info on that is dated.

Quote:
to contribute to the thread, based on my limited cruising experience in the bahamas, lots of people are cruising with firearms (an AK47 in one case on a 43 viking motor cruiser), not a lot of people are declaring said firearms...
Yes, I find it crazy the type and amount of guns that some (it says -some-) US boats carry. However, I think it's all legal in the Bahamas.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:14   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
The Bahamas is one country,...close to the US, and kinda used to it. I wouldn't try it anywhere else.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:18   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Just a question concerning those of you who carry firearms, beyond the declaring part....

Many foreign countries lock you up first and ask questions later...

What is your plan if you do use the weapon, especially against a citizen of the host coutry, regardless of his intentions? Planning on dumping the body or dealing with the local authorities?

Thanks

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:42   #12
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

My first ever professional gig outside the U.S. was an "assisted" delivery of a 63' sloop from Cartagena to Curacao.

The owner was an ex divorce attorney with bleeding ulcers from stress who was told "quit or die" so decided to transplant his family from thier life to a sailing life. 'nuuf said you can imagine the situation....

...anyway he was a gun fan.

He had on board a Shotgun, 45, .306 rifle and what to my untrained eyes looked like an AK47??? dont think it was as it was not fully automatic but had the classic bannan clip.

So, we check into Curacao after a miserable upwind slog. He hands over all his guns and I am not exaggerating, a full garbage bag of ammunition to the customs agent.

The agent looks straight at him and with no humor asks, "Are you planning a coup?"

Love the Dutch!!!

I almost choked, and you can imagine the homour was lost on the owner...

All that firepower and all checked in, useless.

I am anti-gun - however when sailing around Punta Gallianas after hearing of several attempted boardings back in '93 I was glad to have the guns aboard...thats just being honest...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:57   #13

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've declared our 45 in the Bahamas many times. Just make sure you declare the correct number of rounds. I once declared a box that I thought contained 50 rounds only to find that it was a 100 rounds when I was later boarded by the police. All was forgiven because it was an honest mistake but I was warned to make sure I decalre the correct number in the future.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:30   #14

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Just a question concerning those of you who carry firearms, beyond the declaring part....

Many foreign countries lock you up first and ask questions later...

What is your plan if you do use the weapon, especially against a citizen of the host coutry, regardless of his intentions? Planning on dumping the body or dealing with the local authorities?

Thanks
I plan on not walk, but running to the nearest US consolate, that is their job.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 15:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I plan on not walk, but running to the nearest US consolate, that is their job.
Er, their country, their rules. US consulate will tell you the same.

Tags
cruising