Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 10:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Entry with US State registration in French Caribbean Islands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
I stand corrected!
Corrected? Maybe or maybe not. I think the way the statement is written is somewhat ambiguous. Not completely clear to me if duplicate names with the same hailing ports are just suggested or forbidden.

Just in case I made sure my boat name, which is not completely unique, does not have another boat with the same name with the same port. But don't know if it was accepted or not since it has been over three months since the USCG received my paperwork and I'm still waiting for my documentation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Corrected? Maybe or maybe not. I think the way the statement is written is somewhat ambiguous. Not completely clear to me if duplicate names with the same hailing ports are just suggested or forbidden.

Just in case I made sure my boat name, which is not completely unique, does not have another boat with the same name with the same port. But don't know if it was accepted or not since it has been over three months since the USCG received my paperwork and I'm still waiting for my documentation.
Well, I did a search on Google and couldn't find any other reference to "unique" or "duplicate" names for USCG documentation. As long and they can't say the name could hypothetically start a riot or is defamatory, I see nothing that forbids duplicate names from the same hailing port.

Lacking specific language that you can't, I think you are pretty safe. When you stop and think about it, they are sticklers for clearly noting prohibitive language - throughout the rules - and its doubtful the fudge factor here is anything other than purposeful.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 10:58   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, I did a search on Google and couldn't find any other reference to "unique" or "duplicate" names for USCG documentation. As long and they can't say the name could hypothetically start a riot or is defamatory, I see nothing that forbids duplicate names from the same hailing port.

Lacking specific language that you can't, I think you are pretty safe. When you stop and think about it, they are sticklers for clearly noting prohibitive language - throughout the rules - and its doubtful the fudge factor here is anything other than purposeful.
Alright then. If I get arrested by the USCG for duplicate naming my boat I'll tell them you said it was OK.
Old 20-11-2015, 11:02   #19

Quote:
OK then. If I get arrested by the USCG for duplicate naming my boat I'll tell them you said it was OK.
Most excellent - feel free to use my name and that should get you an additional 10 years!

I'll even bail you out!
Old 20-11-2015, 12:21   #20

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Quote:
I have never seen or read anywhere that it is illegal to sail without a "country registration". Do you have any documentation of this? What about documentation of the boats that were seized? Where and when did that happen?

I have to ask, illegal in what way, under what governing body? I know of no international law organization that can pass a law binding to all countries. So would this be by the laws of a specific country one might visit?

Also, in the US the boat names of USCG documented boats are not unique so that point is moot. I have found some boat names repeated over hundred times in the government registry.
The only body internationally recognised to register and certify a vessel in the US is the US Coast Guard. Individual states have not signed intrnational treaties and therfore are not recognised to register.

The boat that was seized was freed after the owner paid the fine. The customs officer was being zealous but I is much safer to be legal.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 13:30   #21

Boat: 50' selfmade outremer catamaran

I live in France , my cat is based in Guadeloupe and being a french citizen the formalities here and in the french islands ( St martin , St Bartelemy , Guadeloupe includind Marie Galante and Les Saintes , Martinique are the same as any foreign visitor .
Nothing but very basic : upon arrival you go to the whatever ( marina office , café , petrol station , etc ) desk that have the "computer " with your passport(s) and boat document in order to fill the form , you fill all the desired boxes at the end you press "print" THAT IS ALL !

The place of entry are listed on the french customs site . For Guadeloupe you can chose Dehaies , Basse terre , Pointe a pitre marina , St François marina , Grand Bourg de Marie Galante ,Terre de Haut des Saintes .

The french customs introduced this procedure in order to concentrate on more important tasks .... w'll give them credit to that ! Never mind , in case of any doubt they know where to spot you .

Do not forget to clear out on departure , the printed form will be your clearance for the next island .

I was in Paris last Friday and I am in Guadeloupe since this week ....The ambiance is very opposite , They say " same country" , I doubt .
catabebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 14:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post
The only body internationally recognised to register and certify a vessel in the US is the US Coast Guard. Individual states have not signed intrnational treaties and therfore are not recognised to register.

The boat that was seized was freed after the owner paid the fine. The customs officer was being zealous but I is much safer to be legal.
Again, your answer contains no documentation or details, only unsubstantiated claims and statements.

First can you name the vessel that was seized, where and by what government or organization?

I am aware of the difference between USCG documentation and state registration and of course individual states cannot sign treaties with foreign governments.

Please tell me what international organization recognizes the USCG as the only agency to register a vessel. The IMO is the only international organization I am familiar with but I am not familiar with any guidelines they have regarding registration of recreational vessels.

Also can you explain what you mean by certify a vessel? I am not aware of that process.
Old 20-11-2015, 14:41   #23

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'm with Skipmac on this one, post your sources. Here's mine:

Quote:
7 FAM 791 U. S. VESSELS
(CT:CON-113; 10-04-2005)
a. U. S. vessels are vessels registered by U.S. citizens under the U.S. flag.
b. U.S. vessels may be registered (documented) either by the Federal
Government (USCG) or by state registration systems.
c. Small recreational vessels are more often registered by the states
(depending on their size) while the USCG usually documents commercial
vessels.
Clearly registration may be by means of federal documentation or state systems. Vessels registered (by either means) by U.S. citizens are considered to be U.S. flagged. Don't know where that leaves the OP vis-a-vis flag state since he is a foreign national, but I will say I have checked into every single one of the countries mentioned (and about 40 more) with nothing more than a state registration and never had a problem (he says, knocking wood).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 15:40   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

I'm an italian citizen and I sailed from California to Turkey in a Delaware registered boat. I spent sevaral winter season in the Caribbean and summer season in the Med.
In 7 years I cleared in and out around 30 countries. I'd never had any trouble. But you made me remeber that once in Deshaies the man at the custom rebuke me for not having proper registration, I smiled and explained that I didn't know anything about that and also in Martinique and St. Barth nobody had nothing to say about my registration. It ended without any more comment.
As have been already posted, now in Deshaies you clear in at the souvenir shop so it is hard to imagine you'll encounter any trouble.
Fair wind
Andrea

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 17:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post

The United States has not signed the Law of the Sea treaty. What international treaty are you referring to?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 18:34   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll even bail you out!
Good deal. Can you go ahead and send your bank account number and PIN. I promise I'll save it just for bail if needed.
Old 21-11-2015, 11:36   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
My 34' Tartan is registered in NY State and since I am a German citizen living in the US I can't have the boat documented by the US Coast Guard.

I am planning to visit Guadeloupe and clear in at Deshaies. Will this present a problem? I've heard check-in is via computer and you don't see an official. Will I have to scan a copy of the registration/documentation?
What is the worst that is likely to happen if I only have State registration? Any real life experiences would be most appreciated.
Good discussion on this so far. Possibly contact their or our embassy or offices. You may be well off to provide proof of ownership and bill of sale if you have it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:22   #28

Quote:
Good deal. Can you go ahead and send your bank account number and PIN. I promise I'll save it just for bail if needed.
Where I bank (North Bank of the Mississippi), they have no pins - the account # is BR-549

However, they limit withdrawals to a Dollar Three Ninety Eight per day.

BTW - great bank - draft is 11 feet at MLLW
Old 21-11-2015, 12:54   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've cleared into and out of Deshaies many times in the past. You use a computer system at "le Pelican", which is a small store selling bric-a-brac on the main road in Deshaies. The computer you use to clear in utilizes the standardized French software for clearance and while you should take your registration papers with you, they will not be required. The system spits out out a printed copy of your clearance which is stamped by the gentleman in the store after you pay your clearance fee and that is about it.
Old 21-11-2015, 15:08   #30

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
My 34' Tartan is registered in NY State and since I am a German citizen living in the US I can't have the boat documented by the US Coast Guard.

I am planning to visit Guadeloupe and clear in at Deshaies. Will this present a problem? I've heard check-in is via computer and you don't see an official. Will I have to scan a copy of the registration/documentation?
What is the worst that is likely to happen if I only have State registration? Any real life experiences would be most appreciated.
When checking at Deshaies turn right at the end of the mIn dock walk about a block and at the Pelekan tee shirt shop you pay ten francs and you check in on the computer. Bring passports and boat paper registration
Done it in and out last june sailing outbound to curacao no problem
Ernie on the Mary jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, enc, registration, rib