Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 16:08   #31

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Entry with US State registration in French Caribbean Islands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Just remember that Guadaloupe and Martinique are both Departement Outre Mer and are therefore counted as Metropolitan France. This means that they are part of the EU

As a German citizen you will need to have proof of residence in the US to avoid any potential problems with VAT.

Keiron
I don't think this is correct. Guadeloupe is actually not in the EU Vat zone and there should be no EU vat issues to deal with.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:19   #32

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

In 1992, I was in the area on my Florida registered boat. I skipped Guadeloupe because all the guide books at the time said they will give you all sorts of grief if you come in a state-registered boat. I can't recall if I heard any first person stories of this happening. I enjoyed Martinique with no hassles. I expect there was an official in Guadeloupe back then who just liked giving Americans a hard time. Since that was almost a quarter century ago, that guy is probably long retired.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:23   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Corrected? Maybe or maybe not. I think the way the statement is written is somewhat ambiguous. Not completely clear to me if duplicate names with the same hailing ports are just suggested or forbidden.

Just in case I made sure my boat name, which is not completely unique, does not have another boat with the same name with the same port. But don't know if it was accepted or not since it has been over three months since the USCG received my paperwork and I'm still waiting for my documentation.

You can vet your boat name here. USCG VESSEL BY NAME. Office of Science and Technology There is also a vessel by number link Office of Science and Technology I once found a list of all documented names but can't locate now.

Three months is long but not unexpected.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:36   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Well, I did a search on Google and couldn't find any other reference to "unique" or "duplicate" names for USCG documentation. As long and they can't say the name could hypothetically start a riot or is defamatory, I see nothing that forbids duplicate names from the same hailing port.

Lacking specific language that you can't, I think you are pretty safe. When you stop and think about it, they are sticklers for clearly noting prohibitive language - throughout the rules - and its doubtful the fudge factor here is anything other than purposeful.
This is incorrect. USCG Documented names are unique. The vessel name and port are analogous to first name-last name only no duplicates are allowed. Here is the result of look-up for our boat name only, ROXY. The search returns all variants even close to the one-word entry. We are ROXY Traverse City, Mi. Note there are no duplicates. This is a great tool if you are initiating a name change or initial documentation.

Office of Science and Technology
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROXY.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	113505  
Old 22-11-2015, 06:43   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
BoatGuy 30:
Did you ever clear into a French Caribbean Island with your RI title? My boat does not even have a title (too old). Just a registration into my name, but with Hull ID number on it. It's about 2x3 inch in size.

I've heard a story where ten years ago a friend of a friend got into trouble for this and had they temporarily locked down his boat and he paid a $5k fine. Sure, that's bar rumor but in the Doyle cruising guide it says as well that vessels over 5 ton (Net?) need federal documentation.

Has anyone recently been asked to produce the actual boat papers at entry?
I think this could be trouble. The Documentation is a broadly accepted form that establishes title. If you have no documentation or title you might expect issues in some places. I think that you can get your state to issue a title. I would explore this possibility. Some boats also are older than when vessel Identification was attached. This can be big trouble in some places, most recently, Mexico. Easier to get your ducks in line in the US than in a foreign jail.
Old 22-11-2015, 07:15   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I don't think this is correct. Guadeloupe is actually not in the EU Vat zone and there should be no EU vat issues to deal with.
That is correct. One of the few times I've been boarded for inspection was on Guadeloupe, where two gents spent a good hour aboard going over all of my paperwork - including requesting to see the original bill of sale and other official paperwork. My boat is not VAT paid (and I was a bit nervous when I told the inspectors so) and that is not an issue as long as the vessel remains outside of the EU VAT zone.
Old 22-11-2015, 09:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This is incorrect. USCG Documented names are unique. The vessel name and port are analogous to first name-last name only no duplicates are allowed. Here is the result of look-up for our boat name only, ROXY. The search returns all variants even close to the one-word entry. We are ROXY Traverse City, Mi. Note there are no duplicates. This is a great tool if you are initiating a name change or initial documentation.

Office of Science and Technology
Could you kindly point me to the specific USCG language (or USC reference) that you rely on?
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:05   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
You can vet your boat name here. USCG VESSEL BY NAME. Office of Science and Technology There is also a vessel by number link Office of Science and Technology I once found a list of all documented names but can't locate now.

Three months is long but not unexpected.
Know that link well. Spent hours trying to choose a boat name and checking it against existing names. Even obscure names in foreign languages I sometimes found dozens and dozens of boats with the same name. I decided it would be almost impossible to pick a relatively short but meaningful name for a boat that was unique.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:27   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Could you kindly point me to the specific USCG language (or USC reference) that you rely on?
I am flummoxed. Certainly not clear and leaves the question open. I could only find these references. It might be worth the effort to send the documentation center a request for clarification on this. I'm pretty sure not allowed. I am attempting to contact them - may take a while.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page

start at page 349
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...I-subchapG.pdf
Old 22-11-2015, 10:39   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Bought a Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC on Antigua in 2012. The staff at our broker registered the boat in NY, where we are from. SignPro printed up the registration numbers and we sailed to St Maartin for refit. Afterward we sailed to Grenada stopping at many islands, including Martinique. The following spring we sailed back to the States stopping at many of the same islands and many more. Never was the state registration an issue with any of the customs officials or the system used on the French Caribbean islands.
Mahayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 17:24   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Bought a Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC on Antigua in 2012. The staff at our broker registered the boat in NY, where we are from. SignPro printed up the registration numbers and we sailed to St Maartin for refit. Afterward we sailed to Grenada stopping at many islands, including Martinique. The following spring we sailed back to the States stopping at many of the same islands and many more. Never was the state registration an issue with any of the customs officials or the system used on the French Caribbean islands.
Good to know. What documentation did you carry? Did you have a bill of sale? Did the state registration constitute a title or proof of ownership? Were you asked for any of this?
Old 22-11-2015, 21:36   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Bureaucrats like paper and stamps! I bring with me my Delawere Registration Card, but some official especially in Europe and Africa are not satisfied with only that tiny palstic card, so I always bring the Bill of Sale, an etitlement letter from the company that own the boat and more important a paper where are shown all measurament of the boat, the engine power and so on. Delaware registry can produce that paper on request.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
capitangiorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:59   #43

Quote:
I am flummoxed. Certainly not clear and leaves the question open. I could only find these references. It might be worth the effort to send the documentation center a request for clarification on this. I'm pretty sure not allowed. I am attempting to contact them - may take a while.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page

start at page 349
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...I-subchapG.pdf
Next time you might think about vetting your sources before calling someone out.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:45   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Good to know. What documentation did you carry? Did you have a bill of sale? Did the state registration constitute a title or proof of ownership? Were you asked for any of this?
Yes we had bill of sale, copies of NY registration, & insurance. Made sure the address on each was the same. Carried several copies of each never knowing if a customs officer might keep a copy. NEVER used originals. Title was not questioned. NY did not even send us the title until we were home that December. We had looked into documenting the boat and perhaps registering it in Delaware to save $ on taxes. In the end it was going to be too much trouble to do while in the Caribbean. Our broker did a lot of legwork for us and going down the documentation would have been asking too much of them.

That first year we sailed to Grenada and left the boat in the water at Clarke's Court Bay for 4 months. (Gotta be back in Buffalo for winter. Skiers.) The following spring we sailed from Grenada to Virginia stopping at almost every island. No issues. The NY registration stickers were now on the bow and we had the official registration card and COPIES of the title. Never had an issue between Grenada and the Bahamas.

Next spring we are headed back to the Caribbean after coming south from the Great Lakes on the inland rivers. (Spectacular, btw.) Our plans will take us through the Panama Canal to the south Pacific on our way to Alaska. We don't anticipate any problems anywhere out there either.

Spending lots of time on the CF and other forums on what is going to be an issue - traveling with our cat. It appears that will be a customs challenge in many places. Any voyagers out there with cat (s) aboard?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-12-2015, 09:22   #45

Is it necessary for a non French Flagged yacht to clear out and then back in again when sailing from one French West Indies island to another ?
Angel Glow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, enc, registration, rib