Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 11:39   #106

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's protection in the US where we have the right to bear arms. In the Bahamas the laws of their country prohibit arms. Therefore bringing in arms against their laws (or circumventing their laws) is smuggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You are wrong and right. Possessing firearms in the Bahamas, without a permit is illegal, HOWEVER, POSSESSING DECLARED FIREARMS ON YOUR VESSEL IS LEGAL!!! Firearms are considered equipment on a vessel and ARE LEGAL, if declared. You would have to be an idiot not to declare them!!
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:39   #107

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
PS: And this is $10k per person ...
Dang, I missed that. Thought it was per boat. We're good then.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:45   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'll say probably not many of us have to worry about carrying more than 10K in cash.
Surely there has to be a better way than to carry that much cash? I'd worry that somehow or another that would get out, possibly making me a target.

So, what is a good way of being able to get a large sum of money, in a relative hurry if you needed repairs for instance? I do know from flying in the Bahamas that plastic is not always accepted, more often than not they expect cash for fuel purchases, and cannot take a credit card.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 11:59   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

So, what is a good way of being able to get a large sum of money, in a relative hurry if you needed repairs for instance?
Do travelers checks still exist?
RainDog is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:06   #110

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

Bring an undeclared gun into Canada and you go to jail and get fined
olepedersen is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:10   #111
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'll say probably not many of us have to worry about carrying more than 10K in cash.
Surely there has to be a better way than to carry that much cash? I'd worry that somehow or another that would get out, possibly making me a target.

So, what is a good way of being able to get a large sum of money, in a relative hurry if you needed repairs for instance? I do know from flying in the Bahamas that plastic is not always accepted, more often than not they expect cash for fuel purchases, and cannot take a credit card.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bahamian dollars.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	107602

There are ATM's all throughout Abaco, Eleuthera, and the Exumas. Places like Nassau, George Town, Rock Sound, Governor's Harbor, Marsh Harbor, Hope Town, Long Island, etc., have banks. All marinas we stopped at allowed credit cards. I never paid cash for fuel that I can recall. On the small islands, places like the small mom and pop grocery stores and restaurants only accepted cash. That was about it. Places like the Blue or Pink stores in Staniel. I'm sure there may be other cash only spots, but pretty easy to work around them.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:18   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
It's all fun and games until the mods axe the thread.

There were about 3 useful posts total. And yet 3,740 views, 121 replies and 8 pages. A lot of bored people here. Nothing on TV I guess? Oh wait, that's a different thread!

It is ALL fun and games, even after the mods ax the thread.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:19   #113

Quote:
So, what is a good way of being able to get a large sum of money, in a relative hurry if you needed repairs for instance?
Quote:
There are ATM's all throughout
Question was large sum in a short time. Ever tried to get $10k from an ATM ;-) (Probably even more than $2k?) ....

I do not know of good ways beside an express wire transfer from your home bank to 'a partner bank' abroad. Will cost quite some fees often ...

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:23   #114

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37'

Ladies & Gentlemen:

I agree philosophically that carrying weapons is protection.

That’s not the point.

The point is that countries’ Laws are not philosophy. They are the Law. Breaking them
costs money.
Howelllee is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:31   #115

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
LOL, and yet you come back and post such things?

Like having to start at the bodies as you drive past an accident?
I didn't actually come back it was my first time through and I wanted it to be my last (but now it's not...but it will be because next I am ignoring this thread)!
pete33458 is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 12:50   #116

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I think a good concern is if someone flies in, has a handgun. Joins your, You have no idea the guests have it and then your boarded, not only the master of the vessel is held accountable but everyone in this case went to jail.
Must be a part of the master plan, get enough Americans there with guns, we take control! No more cruising fees!! I wonder if,, oh wait theres a knock at my door,,,,,,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 13:00   #117

Even in America, most people don't really care that much: http://www.gallup.com/poll/1675/most...t-problem.aspx
RainDog is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 13:04   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
I think you miss the point. You assume the person carrying the weapons are the offending party. You assume that because you are carrying a weapon you are weak.

Those assumptions are patently without any merit whatsoever. All one has to do is to search this, and other cruising websites to learn how innocent people were either seriously injured or killed by persons invading their boat. Your argument does not account for those instances. There is no redress if you are killed by a criminal who wants to take your electronics or dingy (at gunpoint), cash or whatever. You are dead.

So by your reasoning, the poor criminals who want to take your goods and possibly do seriously injury to you and your crew, are just poor misguided unfortunates? The criminal is the gun owner? Horsefeathers!

Please spare us your moral indignation and pontificates. This thread is about declaring your weapons while clearing customs, not whether guns are moral or not.

For your information, Gun Violence in Canada is a serious issue despite their laws, see Washington Post article here.

In any event, I've never had a problem clearing in the Bahamas - but I declare my weapons on the proper form.
Where do you suppose handguns in Canada come from? They are bought legally in Walmart in the US and smuggled in by Americans.

You might have missed it, but that's what this thread is all about. Some dumby thought his right to bare arms extended to the Bahamas.

Fortunately he was arrested and charged. I am glad to see the Bahamas is doing their part to try and keep American problems in America by charging gun smugglers.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 13:29   #119

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
I do.
You need 100 rounds-you are a poor shot & very dangerous to bystanders.

/Len
Old 19-08-2015, 13:42   #120
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Folks!

I have enjoyed reading much of this thread, but have now started to see it is turning personal.

What follow is a friendly suggestion to all.

A forum rule is "Be Nice." I think a good way to stay within that is to keep the personal sniping out of the discussion.

Let's focus on the topic (Guns in Bahamas, Declaration of Guns in Bahamas) and leave the personal politics out of this one, so we can continue to learn the relevant and important and factual things related to cruising in the Bahamas.

This thread started with an important notice to cruisers related to the consequences of taking undeclared guns into the Bahamas. That is good content for the forum and discussing it is good so that cruisers are aware of the skipper's responsibilities and the penalties of the laws of the country being visited are not followed (in this case declaring guns on entry to the country).

When the thread devolves into personal politics, sniping at others due to their different opinion of gun ownership or where they live or how they live and inflammatory images or rhetoric or sarcasm, it is likely to get this thread closed and locked down like so many others on the topics related to guns.

To continue the discussion:

What would you do if a guest on YOUR boat was found to have a undeclared gun when the authorities checked your boat?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas