Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 08:23   #46

Re: Dont declare firearms in the Bahamas, Ouch!

So when you declare your firearms do they confiscate them until you leave or do you get to keep them while in there country?
dhlamar is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:28   #47

Boat: Ranger 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Ironically the Bahamian Government and the ship P-44 could not have accomplished this without guns.
Actually it could and was accomplished without guns. They have a legal right to intercept foreign vessels in their waters. No guns necessary and none referenced as required to confiscate or arrest the perps...you're thinking of pirates.
keeljoy is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:30   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlamar View Post
So when you declare your firearms do they confiscate them until you leave or do you get to keep them while in there country?
No. You tell them you have firearms, the write it down, and all is easy. That is why this case is so dumb. There is no reason not to declare.
RainDog is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:31   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce View Post
Smuggling??? Being a little hyperbolic aren't we? Two handguns with 100 rounds is not smuggling...it's protection.
What do you think smuggling means? This is pretty much the textbook definition of smuggling.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:32   #50

Boat: Ranger 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
So, are they unarmed?

If so the crew of the Mia were very civilized in not ordering the crew of the P-44 off their boat at gunpoint.
No the crew would have been complete idiots to refuse when in sovereign bahaman waters, and their boat could have been seized.
keeljoy is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:32   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Woa, they got off pretty lightly, considering it was basically smuggling illegal weapons into the country.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:33   #52

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
IMHO the only thing wrong is that folks are so insecure they have to have a gun under their pillow (or down their pants) to make themselves feel better.

And that they have to take those guns out into the world to make themselves feel better.

Waaaaaaaaaay more Americans do not carry guns than do. Take that out into the rest of the world and you will find that law abiding folks carrying guns are a vanishingly small percentage. And of all those folks outside of the US who ARE carrying guns (discounting armed conflicts), an astonishingly high percentage of THEM ARE Americans.

So yea, what exactly is wrong with this picture?
Thank you for YHO.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:35   #53

Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisTinaBruce Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisTinaBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
In such countries only non-law abiding citizens (criminals) have guns, and the government has the RIGHT to have and use weapons to protect their LAW ABIDING citizens.
Even in the USA, states that do not allow conceal and carry will find only criminals with guns. Kinda of the point for having on for protection.

True story...I moved to California from Texas and my neighbor freaked when she saw my rifles and shot guns in cases as I unloading the moving van. Over the coming weeks we became friends but she had the typical Liberal California view on gun ownership. Then the day the power across all of Southern California went out for about 5 hours due to a power plant issue she called to ask if I could come over and bring my guns as in the first few hours rumors about a terrorist attack.
ChrisTinaBruce is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:37   #54

Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisTinaBruce Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisTinaBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
What do you think smuggling means? This is pretty much the textbook definition of smuggling.
A drug smugglers tries to import pounds of drugs for distribution. So if you had a ounce of weed you are a drug smuggler?
Old 19-08-2015, 08:38   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's protection in the US where we have the right to bear arms. In the Bahamas the laws of their country prohibit arms. Therefore bringing in arms against their laws (or circumventing their laws) is smuggling.
If a foreign national did this in the US, it would be smuggling too. The crime here is not possessing a firearm, but violating customs regulations. In the US they would confiscate you boat and throw you in jail.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:42   #56

Quote:
A drug smugglers tries to import pounds of drugs for distribution. So if you had a ounce of weed you are a drug smuggler?
If you have an ounce of weed (or 100 pounds of cocaine), you are not a smuggler. If you take it across a border, you are.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/smuggle
Old 19-08-2015, 08:43   #57

I find these threads very entertaining, I learn so much about people and how they think. I don't really understand those that want to " end the debate". It's so easy to skip to anther topic.

This sentence made me laugh really hard. "Most of the world views concealable guns as something only government and criminals need. ". Two peas in a pod I guess, lol. All in good fun!

I have brought a undeclared/ illegal weapon into other countries. I did it knowing full well that if caught I would be in the **** with no one to blame but myself. A gamble I was willing to take.
Sounds like the Bahamas make declaring a gun pretty easy so no need to smuggle.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:48   #58

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Seem to have read several posts from people checking in Bahamas and declaring firearms and ammunition. I think that is the legal/lawful way to do this.

That is 100% correct

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply
Old 19-08-2015, 08:50   #59

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Smuggling??? Being a little hyperbolic aren't we? Two handguns with 100 rounds is not smuggling...it's protection.
Not declaring is smuggling... I wouldn't support a foreigners right to protect themselves by bringing a weapon into the USA undeclared! Two handguns, 100 rounds, movie theater or shopping mall... hyperbolic? I don't think so.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:51   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Not declaring is smuggling... I wouldn't support a foreigners right to protect themselves by bringing a weapon into the USA undeclared! Two handguns, 100 rounds, movie theater or shopping mall... hyperbolic? I don't think so.
I do.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas