Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Hoist a Black Ball at Anchor?
Yes - all the time 108 33.64%
Yes - once in a while 50 15.58%
No - no one does it so why bother 140 43.61%
Never heard of this 23 7.17%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 20:46   #586

Re: Do you use a Daytime Black ball at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
You do realize anchored and moored boats are treated the same under COLTREGS, don’t you?
You do realise your wrong, don't you? unless you can show said rule(s) that is?

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 20:54   #587

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
You do realise your wrong, don't you? unless you can show said rule(s) that is?
Ask and ye shall receive:

§90.5 Lights for moored vessels.
A vessel at anchor includes a vessel made fast to one or more mooring buoys or other similar device attached to the ocean floor. Such vessels may be lighted as a vessel at anchor in accordance with Rule 30, or may be lighted on the corners in accordance with 33 CFR 88.30(h) through (l).

[CGD 94-011, 63 FR 5732, Feb. 4, 1998, as amended by USCG-2015-0433, 80 FR 44281, July 27, 2015]

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...90_15&rgn=div8
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 21:02   #588

Here's a couple of Australian State regs on the subject......

In Tasmania "14. Vessels on moorings at night are not required to display navigation lights."

https://www.mast.tas.gov.au/moorings/mooring-rules/

In Qld anchor light shown whether anchored or moored.

https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights

....interestingly in QLD it makes no reference to recreational boaters using day-shapes but does state "Daymarks and navigation lights show the activities of larger ships and many commercial and fishing ships. The following examples describe common day shapes and navigation lights. Standard navigation lights (for example port, starboard and anchor) must be shown as well as the lights used to signal particular activities."

Old 09-04-2019, 21:08   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post

A vessel at anchor includes a vessel made fast to one or more mooring buoys or other similar device attached to the ocean floor. Such vessels may be lighted as a vessel at anchor in accordance with Rule 30, or may be lighted on the corners in accordance with 33 CFR 88.30(h) through (l).

[CGD 94-011, 63 FR 5732, Feb. 4, 1998, as amended by USCG-2015-0433, 80 FR 44281, July 27, 2015]

Inland US rules and not part of International COLREGS......

Old 09-04-2019, 22:37   #590

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Anchor in the US and you will be subject to their interpretation. Even in areas subject to COLREGS.

Go to court after a collision and the court will consider being attached to the seabed as being anchored whether by means of a vessel carried system or a “permanent” mooring unless local laws specifically make a distinction.

The Tasmania rule specifically indicates Navigation lights. Does that include an anchor light since when you are at anchor you are not underway nor are you navigating.

You should ask the Tasmanian authorities about this.
Old 09-04-2019, 22:40   #591

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Local rules, not International COLREGs
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 22:44   #592

In court after an accident you are going to be subject to local interpretation. The US interpretation is written in law.
If a local court has an interpretation that is really unexpected there will be grounds for appeal.
I don’t see those grounds in the US.
Old 09-04-2019, 22:48   #593

I notice there is no definition of anchoring in the COLREGS.

All the definitions of anchoring and mooring are inter related.
Old 09-04-2019, 22:58   #594

Boat: Westerly Sealord

While the 'rules' don't spell it out the first law of common sense says a vessel on a mooring is the same as a vessel at anchor..... what lights does a ship on a mooring in Hong Kong harbour show? The lights of a ship at anchor..... therefore it follows..................

I apply the first law of common sense quite often.... and fly the alternative day marks .... not having a washing machine or tumble drier...

However I do know there is a time and a place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	189784  
Old 09-04-2019, 22:59   #595

Quote:

The Tasmania rule specifically indicates Navigation lights. Does that include an anchor light since when you are at anchor you are not underway nor are you navigating.

You should ask the Tasmanian authorities about this.
No need to ask, an Anchor light is a navigation light.....

Definition of a Navigational light is a set of lights on a ship or aircraft used at night to show its position and/or orientation, also known as running or position lights <<<< that was straight from one of my oral exams......

Old 09-04-2019, 23:22   #596

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Tasmania considers an anchor light to be a "navigation light":

https://www.mast.tas.gov.au/recreational/navigation/
UNDER NAVIGATION LIGHTS:

Vessels operating from sunset to sunrise, whether at anchor or underway, must carry and exhibit the correct lights. A vessel is underway when it is not anchored, moored or tied to the shore.

Navigation lights must also be displayed during daylight hours in periods of restricted visibility
Anchored vessels less than 50 metres in length must show an all-round white light. Remember that anchoring in narrow channels and obstructing traffic is prohibited.

As for moorings, the actual Tasmania Marine and Safety (Moorings) Bylaws are more explicit.
(The Marine and Safety (Collision) Regulations is the Tasmanian legislation that gives COLREGs legal standing there.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TasMoor.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	189787  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 23:28   #597

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
In court after an accident you are going to be subject to local interpretation. The US interpretation is written in law.
If a local court has an interpretation that is really unexpected there will be grounds for appeal.
I don’t see those grounds in the US.
I was asking about colregs, not local rules specific to the US. We'll look up local rules if we ever end up sailing there. It seems pretty clear to me - anchor ball when anchored, not when moored.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:41   #598

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I was asking about colregs, not local rules specific to the US. We'll look up local rules if we ever end up sailing there. It seems pretty clear to me - anchor ball when anchored, not when moored.
It is my understanding that both anchored and moored boats are affixed to the bottom and the only place lights and shapes are not required is “special anchorages.”

Also special anchorages only exist inside the ColRegs line under inland rules.

We need lights and shapes in the lower FL keys whether anchored or on a mooring, even in a “designated mooring field,” because mooring fields in the lower keys are not “special anchorages.”

ETA: Boats moored or anchored in a special anchorage are not required to show the lights and shapes. See the last paragraph of Rule 30 Inland.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:56   #599

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
It is my understanding that both anchored and moored boats are affixed to the bottom and the only place lights and shapes are not required is “special anchorages.”

Also special anchorages only exist inside the ColRegs line under inland rules.

We need lights and shapes in the lower FL keys whether anchored or on a mooring, even in a “designated mooring field,” because mooring fields in the lower keys are not “special anchorages.”

ETA: Boats moored or anchored in a special anchorage are not required to show the lights and shapes. See the last paragraph of Rule 30 Inland.
And worth noting that, as you've already pointed out (and I think is correct), the lower FL Keys are subject to international rules.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Can you show us where it says that? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Edit: in the international COLREGs, I mean, not a local interpretation or specific local rules.

Oddly enough, the words anchor(ed) or moor(ed) are not defined in Colregs, instead there is the term underway. And there is thus vessels that are NOT underway [i.e., at anchor, or made fast to shore, or aground].
Note: The word "aground" is not defined but if you have ever been such, YA KNOW IT WHEN IT HAPPENS

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publicat...24-English.pdf

A vessel is defined in the negative as to being "underway".

COLREG:
Rule 3 (i) The word underway means that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground.

Definitions of the English [and associated language, e.g., Canadian, Aussie, Kiwi & Yankee] word Anchor:

an·chor
/ˈaNGkər/

noun
1. a heavy object attached to a rope or chain and used to moor a vessel to the sea bottom

verb
past tense: anchored; past participle: anchored

1. moor (a ship) to the sea bottom with an anchor.
"the ship was anchored in the lee of the island"
synonyms: moor, berth, harbor, be at anchor, tie up;

moor
verb

to attach a boat or ship to something on land or to the surface under the water to keep it in place.

International COLREGS:

Rule 27. VESSELS NOT UNDER COMMAND OR RESTRICTED
IN THEIR ABILITY TO MANOEUVRE

(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, except a vessel engaged in minesweeping operations, shall exhibit:
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and
lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
(ii) three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of
these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond;
(iii) when making way through the water, masthead lights, sidelights and a sternlight, in addition to the lights prescribed in sub-paragraph (i);
(iv) when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (i) and (ii), the light, lights or shape prescribed in Rule 30.

Rule 30. ANCHORED VESSELS AND VESSELS AGROUND
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;

(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in sub-paragraph (i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, where they can best be seen:
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
(ii) three balls in a vertical line.
(e) A vessel of less than 7 metres in length, when at anchor or aground, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in paragraphs (a), (b) or (d)
of this Rule.

US COLREGS: As applies specifically to light [typical for night and low visibility enhancement] signals:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

§ 90.5 Lights for moored vessels
A vessel at anchor includes a vessel made fast to one or more mooring
buoys or other similar device attached to the ocean floor.
Such vessels may be lighted as a vessel at anchor in accordance with Rule 30, or may be
lighted on the corners in accordance with 33 CFR 88.13.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor