Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 09:54   #151

Boat: Sovereign 24
Re: Countries Wihout Extradition/ Dual Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My Son was born in Germany, Gelnhausen, and cannot be a German citizen as I was a US soldier.
I was born in Heidelberg, Germany while my dad, a US citizen was stationed there. My mother is also a US citizen. When i was in my teens we had to file papers renouncing any claim to German citizenship (and their ability to draft me into their army). This was many years ago so I'm sure things are different now.
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 11:14   #152
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Taking an officialy witnessed oath that is a requirement for citizenship, actually does have legal standing. So, it's a legal, not a "moral" issue.

It's another one of those issues where the odds of having problems related to it are very low, so people break the rule and get away with it. In the current political climate, it's a non-issue.

In theory, by not following thru, you haven't completed the requirements for becoming a citizen. There is a lot of political conflict over immigration currently and if the pendulum swings the other way, it could be messy.

The Oath of allegiance to my understanding does not in itself have a legal standing, in so much that for example "breaking" it does not automatically have legal consequences. so for example unless judged under several laws of sedition and treason , I can of course pledge fealty to a foreign prince, without any issue. Its what I subsequently DO thats makes the difference.

As stated nothing in US law can make you renounce a foreign countries citizenship. You can only do that yourself under the laws of that country

What can be done of course is to refuse to give you a new citizenship without renouncing your old one. However the US has agreements with many countries to ensure you do not have to renounce your previous citizenship.

Anyway this part of the debate is moot, its clearly the case that dual citizenship jus recognised and accepted in the US and many naturalised citizens and others do hop such dual status.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:15   #153
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
I was born in Heidelberg, Germany while my dad, a US citizen was stationed there. My mother is also a US citizen. When i was in my teens we had to file papers renouncing any claim to German citizenship (and their ability to draft me into their army). This was many years ago so I'm sure things are different now.
To my memory , at it may still be in effect, dual German US citizenship has not been possible since the war. It could have changed of course. I believe this was a function of German law rather then US

I could be wrong, fuzzy memory

dave
Old 26-03-2014, 11:19   #154
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Which is why you can become, for example, a citizen of France without renouncing your U.S. citizenship. But the U.S., and a few others, do require that sort of renunciation.

Now, the other countries may or may not recognize the oath that you take in a U.S. courtroom to be a legal renunciation of your citizenship in their country. I don't know. What I do know is that the United States, at that point in time, will consider you to be ONLY a citizen of the United States, to the complete exclusion of any other citizenships.
Not correct. There is no requirement in the US to specifically renounce your citizenship upon achieving naturalisation. IN the process of such naturalisation you take the oath of allegiance, but that means you swear fealty to the US, which is different from the modern concept of citizenship. One can swear all sorts of fealty to all sorts of things.(over here its football teams!)

Every country treats you as their citizen to the exclusion of all other citizenships. It can lead to a few "interesting" issues.

dave
Old 26-03-2014, 15:17   #155
cruiser

In the U.S., taxes and citizenship are not connected, beyond being administered by the same government.

The State department (with some exceptions) doesn't care if you've paid your taxes, and the IRS doesn't care if you're a citizen. Indeed, the largest taxpayers in the nation are not even human, let alone citizens. A citizen may be easier for the IRS to collect from, but non-citizenship certainly won't get in their way. They will happily collect any taxes owed from corporations, governments, Japanese citizens, Texans, Swiss Nationals, or any combination thereof.

Some collections are easier than others, but they have a little file, and they're patient.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 18:33   #156

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
To my memory , at it may still be in effect, dual German US citizenship has not been possible since the war. It could have changed of course. I believe this was a function of German law rather then US

I could be wrong, fuzzy memory

dave
Yes, dual German/US citizenship is possible. Retaining the German citizenship is the difficult aspect; while I haven't wished for U.S. citizenship my siblings have done so and have both passports.