Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 13:34   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Check-In and Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Like I just wrote above: USA (incl. any islands) is $400.- for 2 persons + the boat. That includes visa and cruising permit.
Only for US citizens it's free or almost free (isn't there some sticker to buy?)

cheers,
Nick.

Nothing in the good old USA is free, even for us
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:38   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
What is extra Money?? Never seen it
It's the kind that burned a hole in your pocket. Check your pants to see if you had some once.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:40   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Nothing in the good old USA is free, even for us
"Free" is for something somebody else paid for, willingly or not.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:56   #19

It's a shame about OZ, I lived there for about 6 years off and on, in Sydney and Brisbane and Noosa.. I keep hearing how great the barrier reefs are and was hoping to get back their to really enjoy it once we have our boat.. I also want to go to Lord Howe Island.. Hope it doesn't get worse by the time we get our boat..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 17:02   #20

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When I first went to the Bahamas 15 years ago, I paid $20 for a cruising permit. Now it's $150 (for a boat under 35 feet). Still, when I consider that in two months I never once paid for a marina or mooring since anchoring is so easy and free, it's not a bad expense.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 18:49   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Like I just wrote above: USA (incl. any islands) is $400.- for 2 persons + the boat. That includes visa and cruising permit.
Only for US citizens it's free or almost free (isn't there some sticker to buy?)
cheers, Nick.
I quoted and was replying to Don Lucas who lives in Salem MASS so he doesn't have to pay for the US Islands. Returning to any US territory from outside for a cruising boat does require a "Customs Decal" - currently about $27.50 and good for a calendar year.
- - For folks not from the USA, the cost of a B1/B2 visa can vary dramatically when you consider that you have to appear at a US Embassy to get it which could mean significant expenses in transportation and lodging beside the cost of the visa itself. One of the best places for those coming west into the Caribbean from Europe is the US Embassy in Barbados. They are used to international cruisers and understand what is needed - and - are polite and helpful. The worst place is Trinidad.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 19:30   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

No charges to US boats. We generally pay a state water use fee that is honored in other states or at least you get a pass as long as you don't linger. The pass time is variable but is 60 days at a single location in Michigan for example. You are not likely to be noticed though and can generally claim to be transient if challenged. Some local rules are togher. Just make sure you are in USCG compliance; life jackets, radio, whistle, bell, flairs, fire extinguishers etc. Have your papers in order; insurance & documentation plus any special stuff like HAM license, MMSI registration, log book, pump out records etc. On an east coast ICW transit you can expect to be inspected more than once.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 06:57   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I quoted and was replying to Don Lucas who lives in Salem MASS so he doesn't have to pay for the US Islands.
I know I'm a pain but it really doesn't matter where Don lives. It only matters what his and his crew passports state (must be US citizen to enter free of charge) and what his boat registration says (must be US registered to enter without need for cruising permit).

I know many people who live in the USA but have a passport from another country and I also know a lot of boats in the US that are registered elsewhere.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:56   #24

Quote:
I know I'm a pain but it really doesn't matter where Don lives. It only matters what his and his crew passports state (must be US citizen to enter free of charge) and what his boat registration says (must be US registered to enter without need for cruising permit).

I know many people who live in the USA but have a passport from another country and I also know a lot of boats in the US that are registered elsewhere.
cheers, Nick.
Cheers, but you are pushing the point beyond "normal' which is okay as there are always "exceptions" to most everything.
- - But to "Live" in the USA - Live being more than just visiting - you must be a USA citizen or Resident Alien, both of which qualify you to come and go without need of any B1/B2 visas. Dual and triple nationality citizens - again - normally use the passport of the country they "live in" to enter that country - in this case the USA. "Mexicans" might be a different story.
- - The boat however is a different story. It is unusual for a USA "cruiser" to have a foreign flagged vessel unless it is a mega-yacht and they are trying to avoid US taxes on the boat. Getting a "foreign flag" documentation on your vessel is neither simple nor cheap. But it does pay for the mega-million dollar yachts. All of which is pretty much out of reach of the average CF poster asking questions.
- - In any case, no matter who owns the vessel, if it is not a USA or USA State documented/registered vessel you would be operating under a "Cruising Permit" which is both limited in time and has requirements for reporting its movements. All of which is rather time consuming, complicated and a bit of a bother when you can - as a US Citizen/Resident Alien simply register the boat in either the USA/State systems and not have to deal with any of that.
Old 23-03-2011, 18:14   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

It is possible for a US citizen to flag their boat foreign. Depending on your state of residence, this may be a way to avoid your state sales taxes when purchasing a boat. This also normally involves other shenanigans such as incorporating the boat as a business entity. It was way too complicated for me and I assume, my luck, that I will eventually get caught. I sleep better this way. Not much help on topic - sorry.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:29   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Doesn't matter where I live or where the boat is out of, but thanks.........how much you budget per year for cruising permits and entry type fees?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 18:53   #27

Yeah, I was going to mention that little detail. The OP question was simply asking how much money should he plan on for cruising the world in regards to all the costs/fees for checking in/out.
- - I gave him a number for Florida to Trinidad. Maybe somebody can search their records and come up with a ball-park figure for Trinidad to Central America. And then another figure for across the Pacific . . .
- - Come on, somebody must be out there who has done it in the last few years. Or is everybody on CF couch potatoes sitting at home on land behind their computers and Google and pretending they are cruisers
Old 23-03-2011, 18:56   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
(...)
Seems can really add up to point that you need to decide when you can afford to move on because of the cost for the next stop.
(...)
Correcto! We skipped a number of potentials just because of this factor. Unfortunately, sometimes there are no alternatives - say you have a critical breakdown.

If related costs are an issue then it is prudent to plan the itinerary so that you are less likely to be hard pressed. This may be a bit more difficult, but possible, when you are sailing to / thru a new area.

For the West Indies we used the Reeds that quoted the fees. Elsewhere we always asked those ahead of us. In civilized countries you can always learn well in advance what you will pay and why and when.

BTW - I think countries with high entry/administrative fees are robbing their citizens - we always spent MORE in places that have minimum or no such fees (thinking: no fees? - WHOA - let's have another beer / carrot !).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 19:54   #29

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Check-In and Cruising Permit Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Or is everybody on CF couch potatoes sitting at home on land behind their computers and Google and pretending they are cruisers
Well, It sure seems as though a lot of posts are of the "what's the slowest cat?" variety, or "when I get my boat in three years, what next?", or "which is better, green or red bottom paint?"

This is not something to be taken lightly.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 11:27   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

In Panama, the boat and 2 crew will have to pay about $500 per year for visa (& extensions) and cruising permit.

You can live in Panama for that amount without having to leave the country (you pay instead of the cost of leaving/entering) but officially you have to leave 72 hours every 6 months. Due to circumstances, we have lived in Panama (on tourist visa) for 3 years now.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, permit