Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 16:22   #316

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Boarded by the Coast Guard..Terminated Voyage

I just went to the local USCG auxiliary center to find a contact number for arranging a free vessel check to makesure we comply in all areas with our new to us boat. Guess what the big sign on the doors said? "Sorry, this establishment is closed for the foreseeable future due to the government shutdown, all abs classes are cancelled" What is an abs class ? I could put my own interpretation of the letters in but it would almost certainly be censored. I did get a contact number from the marina office but haven't tried to call it yet in case it too is 'closed'

Nuts or what???
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 14:26   #317
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

[QUOTE=Robin3;1369006] ............... What is an abs class ? ....[QUOTE]

"Able Bodied Seaman",- a designated entry level of skill for merchant marine positions
Old 20-10-2013, 15:50   #318
cruiser

[QUOTE=CaptForce;1369781][QUOTE=Robin3;1369006] ............... What is an abs class ? ....
Quote:

"Able Bodied Seaman",- a designated entry level of skill for merchant marine positions
I thought the entry level was "common seaman" and that "abled bodied" was a promotion.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 16:08   #319

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Entry level is ordinary seaman, ABle body seaman is an upgrade.
Then there is also ABS as in American Bureau of Shipping.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 17:04   #320

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

ah I see so not "all B-S" as I thought!, no classes neede for that I guess..
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 07:37   #321

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

ABs are definitely not entry level.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:40   #322

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
I thought the entry level was "common seaman" and that "abled bodied" was a promotion.
An Able Seaman is a qualified member of the deck department. As defined by the USCG:

"An unlicensed member of the deck department who stands watch as a
helmsman and a lookout. ABs also operate deck machinery and lifesaving equipment, as well as maintenance duties associated with Ordinary Seamen"

Think of a Able Seaman as a Journeyman Seaman...

Think of Ordinary Seaman as apprentices with no training requirements to be certified by the USCG.

I hold AB-Special & Life Boatman certifications and am Licensed as a 100-ton Near-Coastal Master.

To obtain the Able Seaman rating, you need to perform duties on a vessel greater than 65 feet and minimum of 180 and a maximum of 1080 days at sea (Depending on which rating you are tying to achieve... Examples are AB-Sail, AB- Special, AB-Unlimited (The highest AB Rating).

In addition to Seatime, you are required to pass a written AB Exam and Marlin Spike Practical Exam.

You must pass both written and proficiency tests for the Rating of "Life Boatman", which certifies that you are proficient in survival craft.

You also have to complete the one week Basic STCW Training in First Aid, Survival and Firefighting.

I completed the testing by attending a one week AB Class, a one week Life Boatman Course and a one week Basic STCW course at three different Maritime Schools in California.

After all that is complete, the USCG evaluates your Seatime and decides which rating you qualify for...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 13:53   #323

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I concur. Red Right Return doesn't work so well on the ICW. One needs to know if heading south is considered heading out to sea, or in to harbor. For a first timer on that waterway, it is a very good question to ask. Reading charts also helps
US govt printing office just announced they won't be printing anymore charts.
Old 23-10-2013, 14:46   #324

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
US govt printing office just announced they won't be printing anymore charts.
This has been in the works for a long time... You can still get charts printed on demand or in PDF and of course they will continue updating them.

Civilian and Military vessels have been going to "Electronic Charts" for sometime. If they use a system called "Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) they no longer have to carry paper charts. This system automatically updates itself with chart corrections via a satellite downlink.

In Cost-Cutting Move, NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts : The Two-Way : NPR

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 17:53   #325
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

This has been in the works for a long time... You can still get charts printed on demand or in PDF and of course they will continue updating them.

Civilian and Military vessels have been going to "Electronic Charts" for sometime. If they use a system called "Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) they no longer have to carry paper charts. This system automatically updates itself with chart corrections via a satellite downlink.

In Cost-Cutting Move, NOAA To Stop Printing Nautical Charts : The Two-Way : NPR
IMO ECDIS does not require updates via satellite or any real time method. IMO regs merely require that the ECDIS can be updated and such updates are stored separately to the original data and such updates do not interfere with the use of the ECDIS. It's true that many ships are using sat based updates ( TRANSAS being one company involved ) but many are using other update methods

Dave
Old 06-11-2013, 12:07   #326

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Just for the thread, and since the issue pertains to me (I'll be cruising the USA again) I submitted these questions to CBP and received a case number, along with
over 3 weeks later I just got a response to my question:

Quote:
My ship is U.K. flagged and registered and I have met all the U.K. safety requirements (Flares, placards, life-vests, extinguishers, etc.). I intend on travelling in inland waters (the ICW) and would like to be certain that:
- I do not need U.S.C.G. certification for my extinguishers and lifevests
- I do not need to put the boat name on the dinghy/tender
The yacht has holding tanks for black water and facilities for on-deck pumpout, but there is no greywater tank. Is there a requirement for greywater tanks in inland waters of the USA?

Response:
Quote:
You need to contact the U.S. Coast Guard's Boating Safety Division for the safety and holding tank rules for boats in US waters. CBP does not have any specific requirements for a dingy to be named. I am sorry we were not able to respond to your question sooner, but I hope this helps.
At least they answered the dinghy question, but ignored the extinguisher/vest question and passed me on regarding the holding tanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21   #327
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CBP has no jurisdiction over marine safety enforcement, so of course they would pass you on to the USCG. However, you will also be subject to the state laws in every state you enter.

So you might want to enquire of the USCG Commandant's Office, although I'm fairly sure they'll tell you that since you are a UK vessel "in transit" you only need to comply with your UK regs. On the dink, each state has different regs as to how small a motorboat can be /vs/ whether it needs some type of registration numbering, but if you are propelled by paddles or oars, I think they all ignore it. (If in Florida and unable to get a formal response from Florida's DMV, you might want to dismount the engine.)

Whether the regs require it or not, you'll earn brownie points from any boarding party if your discharge lines are "secured" when you are in a no-discharge zone. Nothing fancy needed there, couple of zip ties, locked head door, etc. comply with that. "Secured" as in, it can't casually be flipped open.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 14:24   #328
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Get your self a copy of Code of Federal Regulations, Title 33. US Federal law is that as long as you meet the requirements of your flag state you are kosher in US waters. These codes cannot be overruled by any State.

The same goes for your dinghy. Here in Ontario, dinks do not require license/registration if you motor is 9.9hp or less, neither are they required to be marked T/T. Therefor legal in Florida or any other state although local water cops don't always agree.

ABYC puts out a book with excerpts of the CFR's that apply to boats titled "Rules and Regulations for Recreational Boats". I have always carried a copy of this in my dink when in Florida waters and have used it a few times to show the local water cops that they are wrong.