Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 22:48   #16

Re: Australian Insurance - what companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Come n Hoppy.. your knees are shot.. whats all this ******** about 'Race Insurance'.. get the basic and be happy with it.. go Pantenaeus.. you know it makes sense.
Skip the macho ********.
Someone has to be a tailend charlie of the fleet

I know from my youth, that there is not much purpose to sailing in Melbourne on Port Phillip bay, so racing around the cans give you purpose and then there are the after race beers in the club house, which I'm sure you would appreciate.
Old 11-08-2016, 23:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Hoppy,
just as a side note. Pantaneus came a very close second to Topsail for us. There quote was very close to Topsail and from my research they had a very good reputation. The only reason we did not go with Pantaneus was the clause regarding the increase of excess to 25% if your boat is damaged or written off due to a named storm. As we cruise at times in an area known for cyclones this was a concern for us. 25% is a lot of money to be written off.
I started reading about the named storm stuff... all about taking off the boom, halyards to secure points on the ground, but then got bored as I'm not going to have to worry about them for the foreseeable future

I noticed.
Quote:
7. Loss of or damage to sails if split by the wind or blown or washed away; are not covered under your policy.
Is that not normal for other companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Just to assist in making your decision. One last thing. Ensure that who ever you are insured with are recognised under the Australia Insurance Group. Some marinas, IE Able Point Marina will not recognise insurance companies not affiliated under Australian company registration laws.
Hmmmm I can't find who underwrites for Pantenius in the quote
Old 11-08-2016, 23:07   #18

Arrrgggghhhh I just found Solo on the quote from Pantaenius

Quote:
Single Handed Warranty - No single handed sailing allowed before dawn or after sunset. For any continuous passages of more than 100NM or passages that require travel overnight a second crew member must be present.
That's no good at all. This means that I have to be back in the marina by sunset if I want to have a solo sail in the afternoon. It also means that if I wanted to cross Bass Strait by island hopping, I can't get an early start in the mornings.
Old 12-08-2016, 00:21   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

From a surveyors point of view Pantaenius is very good. Adam rings me direct if there is any issues or clarification needed when I do a survey.
An insurance survey is no big deal, you will probably need a valuation done when you import the yacht so the surveyor could also do the survey at the same time.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 00:29   #20

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
An insurance survey is no big deal, you will probably need a valuation done when you import the yacht so the surveyor could also do the survey at the same time.

Smart people use two different surveyors, one for the import valuation and a separate one for the insurance valuation.

Dat's because you want a low import valuation (and hence low duty paid on import). And a higher insurance valuation.

A nod is as good as wink ...
Old 12-08-2016, 02:17   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450

My yacht is in NZ and Pantanius Australia have insured it. They were good to deal with and a good price. Yes a pity about the solo sailing restrictions. They would not budge on this.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, insurance