Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2023, 09:02   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring in USA without checking in (no B1/B2 Visa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Of keen issue of pursuing a B1/B2 visa in a US embassy or consulate as a third-country national is that third-country nationals are placed at the back of the line for scheduling interview appointments to pursue a visa. E.g., a New Zealander is considered a third-country national if they are seeking a visa at an US embassy or consulate other than the embassy or consulate in New Zealand. The wait for an appointment in New Zealand presently is short, whereas the wait in other countries is much longer, measured in months or even close to two years. So if they desire to obtain a visa in a timely manner, they should return to New Zealand for the interview appointment, await the processing time to receive a visa and then return to their boat in order to voyage into USA territorial waters. They can apply for an interview appointment online anywhere but the appointment interview is intended to occur in the country of one's nationality. Some embassies and consulates simply do not process third country nationals as they are busy processing the nationals of the country.
Pretty expensive one night stopover..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:07   #77

Re: Anchoring in USA without checking in (no B1/B2 Visa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pretty expensive one night stopover..
Indeed, very expensive, but it will afford [pun intended] them the opportunity to visit relatives and friends back in NZ.

And the visa would apply to Puerto Rico and the USVI also, so it eases their Caribbean adventuring prospects.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 16:00   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Of keen issue of pursuing a B1/B2 visa in a US embassy or consulate as a third-country national is that third-country nationals are placed at the back of the line for scheduling interview appointments to pursue a visa. E.g., a New Zealander is considered a third-country national if they are seeking a visa at an US embassy or consulate other than the embassy or consulate in New Zealand. The wait for an appointment in New Zealand presently is short, whereas the wait in other countries is much longer, measured in months or even close to two years. So if they desire to obtain a visa in a timely manner, they should return to New Zealand for the interview appointment, await the processing time to receive a visa and then return to their boat in order to voyage into USA territorial waters. They can apply for an interview appointment online anywhere but the appointment interview is intended to occur in the country of one's nationality. Some embassies and consulates simply do not process third country nationals as they are busy processing the nationals of the country.
This might be a problem in some countries.

I can only speak from personal experience of being British and having my US visa’s expire while I was away from the UK.
To be precise I was in Canada. As a Uk citizen and not a Canadian resident.
I had to go to the US consulate to renew my visa.
The line up was a couple of hours, the Visa took about 5 or 10 minutes.
I would still suggest contacting a US consulate and asking before flying back to NZ.
It is also possible to arrive in a US port of entry without a visa. Provided you declare you don’t have one. They just won’t let you off the boat.
I’ve done that as well. I wouldn’t recommend it. The owner had to post a 25000 dollar bond or pay for a guard while vessel was in port.

Which is why I had to go at our next port to the consulate in Vancouver.

This was quite a lot of years ago. So rules might be tighter now.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 20:49   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
This might be a problem in some countries.

I can only speak from personal experience of being British and having my US visa’s expire while I was away from the UK.
To be precise I was in Canada. As a Uk citizen and not a Canadian resident.
I had to go to the US consulate to renew my visa.
The line up was a couple of hours, the Visa took about 5 or 10 minutes.
I would still suggest contacting a US consulate and asking before flying back to NZ.

It is also possible to arrive in a US port of entry without a visa. Provided you declare you don’t have one. They just won’t let you off the boat.
I’ve done that as well. I wouldn’t recommend it. The owner had to post a 25000 dollar bond or pay for a guard while vessel was in port.

Which is why I had to go at our next port to the consulate in Vancouver.

This was quite a lot of years ago. So rules might be tighter now.

FYI:

The wait time for a B1/B2 visa interview appointment at the US consulate in Vancouver Canada is presently 375 days. The wait time for an appointment in Auckland, NZ is 7 days. So unless one has a year to wait in Vancouver a trip back to New Zealand would be appropriate.

Administrative Processing
This estimate for scheduled visa interview do not include time required for administrative processing, which may affect some applications. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on individual circumstances of each case.

Administrative Processing Information
There are only two possible outcomes for U.S. visa applications. The consular officer will either issue or refuse the visa. If a visa applicant has not established that he or she is eligible for a visa, the consular officer must refuse that application. However, some refused visa applications may require further administrative processing. When administrative processing is required, the consular officer will inform the applicant at the end of the interview. The duration of the administrative processing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case. At the conclusion of the administrative processing period, the consular officer might conclude that an applicant is now qualified for the visa for which he or she applied. The officer may also conclude that the applicant remains ineligible for a visa. Visa applicants are reminded to apply early for their visas, well in advance of the anticipated travel date.

Important Notice: Except in cases of emergency travel (i.e. serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family), before making inquiries about status of administrative processing, applicants should wait at least 180 days from the date of interview or submission of supplemental documents, whichever is later.

About Visa Processing Wait Times – Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants

Information about nonimmigrant visa wait times for interviews and visa processing time frames are shown on this website, as well as on U.S. Embassy and Consulate websites worldwide. It should be noted that the “Wait Times for a Nonimmigrant Visa to be Processed” information by country does not include time required for administrative processing. Processing wait time also does not include the time required to return the passport to applicants, by either courier services or the local mail system.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:16   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
With the gulf stream at your back, you should be able to make good time assuming you wait for a good weather window, so it might not be as bad as you think.

If you still feel the need, you might try calling the CG once you are in VHF range. Explain that you are transiting Mexico to Bahamas and are concerned that you are tired and would prefer to get a bit of rest. Then ask very politely if it might be possible to anchor for the night without coming ashore. If they say yes, get the name and position of the CG officer that you spoke with. If they say no, you have an answer much more clear vs asking random people on the internet.

It is a sensitive area, due to drug smuggling and illegal border crossings, so they do keep track and playing fast and loose with the rules isn't a great idea.
This^ and also be aware USCG STATION KEY WEST is a TRAINING station. They have a well earned reputation. G’luck!
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 22:05   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti View Post
This^ and also be aware USCG STATION KEY WEST is a TRAINING station. They have a well earned reputation. G’luck!
Slightly off-topic: Anyone know someone currently in the USCG? Our teenager is considering the Coast Guard and might have some questions for someone with current/recent experience.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, USA