Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
pirate An Alternative to Chartering: Can I Use My Boat as a Club House?

When I first started the Pahi project I had the idea of bringing people on a floating holiday sailing from place to place and seeking the best waves there are to surf around the world. So I set about finding out about the legislation of running such a vessel.

Before I knew it I had some "EUrocrat" on the phone with his trousers around his ankles, he was telling me before he provided me with any useful information how many ways he was going go screw me, fine me, impound the vessel and send me to prison if I did not do exactly what I was told by the powers that be.

Sure I'm all for legislation if it increases the safety of my crew, vessel and myself but a lot of it was just about €€€€ and if I didn't keep the pen pushers in a job then I'll end up in the brink.

This killed the idea and from then on I only sought to have the Pahi as a private vessel.

Even at that there is quiet a few I know who do run charters without any solicitation but I didn't want to take that chance either at least I want to keep it legal.

However if I were to run my idea as a "club" and the boat as the club HQ, the annual membership would allow the members use the club facilities for "free".

Is this possible or is it time to go back to the drawing board?
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
When I first started the Pahi project I had the idea of bringing people on a floating holiday sailing from place to place and seeking the best waves there are to surf around the world. So I set about finding out about the legislation of running such a vessel.

Before I knew it I had some "EUrocrat" on the phone with his trousers around his ankles, he was telling me before he provided me with any useful information how many ways he was going go screw me, fine me, impound the vessel and send me to prison if I did not do exactly what I was told by the powers that be.

Sure I'm all for legislation if it increases the safety of my crew, vessel and myself but a lot of it was just about €€€€ and if I didn't keep the pen pushers in a job then I'll end up in the brink.

This killed the idea and from then on I only sought to have the Pahi as a private vessel.

Even at that there is quiet a few I know who do run charters without any solicitation but I didn't want to take that chance either at least I want to keep it legal.

However if I were to run my idea as a "club" and the boat as the club HQ, the annual membership would allow the members use the club facilities for "free".

Is this possible or is it time to go back to the drawing board?
You don't say where you'll be basing the boat.... in Europe, Far East..? I do know a couple of Charter Companies in the Caribbean that use that principle... one operates Cats out of Marigot... they have an annual membership fee and then used to charge about $470/wk for their members... not including travel costs. This I would imagine would go towards covering insurance/food/crew costs for the period. They seem to do quite well... steady flow of members every week during the 4 mths I was there... I think there's a good chance it would work if it was advertised on the 'Net' and membership was kept out of the Country your operating in.... as long as its not in the EU..... but I'm sure there's someone out there who knows better... as far as I can see, if they are 'crew' joining a vessel your in the clear... lots of places round the world are glad to have folk bring dollars/euros/pounds into the country... don't "Take The Piss" and you should be fine.... organise with restaurants in Ports of Call for set menu evening meals etc and you'll be welcomed, give nothing to the place you operate in and they'll cut you dead....
This is going to be an interesting thread to follow I think....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24   #3

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
For real? So it is a common practice? Brilliant!
I was kinda hoping to operate internationally between the Northren and Southren hemispheres following the weather for the eternal summer and "the Stormriders Guide to the World"

6 months in Europe
6 months Caribbean
6 months South Pacific etc, etc.

so "members" could join or leave the vessel as they wish as long as they had their paper work, passports and visas in order, so if someone wanted to, and were allowed to stay and surf the North Shore in Oahu,Hawaii why not, and if some other surfer from there wanted to join ship and take their place for Mahia, New Zealand, no problem as long as they had permission to visit or stay and could make their own way home.
It would be kinda like a floating hostel for surfers, stay as long as you wish, leave when and where you wish, but all above board.

As stated I'm all for the safety, but my idea didn't go down too well with the "EUrocrats" they were quick to point out what they would do to me if I attempted to pick up anyone from any country outside of the "charter zone" and wanted me to reduce the vessel to "day sailing" only
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sounds great to me as long as International/National Insurance, Safety and Visa requirements are met... "Members" joining the Vessel would only be contributing to food/running costs whilst on board....
If this is considered illeagal then there's hundreds of boats out there breaking the law with 'Paying Crew' on board doing Deliveries etc....
Good Luck, Good Sailing and Great Surfing ......
"Hang Ten" and go for it...lol

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If this is considered illeagal then there's hundreds of boats out there breaking the law with 'Paying Crew' on board doing Deliveries etc....
I spoke to some professional delivery skippers about this and I was told it's a real grey area they said even the crew contributing to food etc. could be seen as "financial reward" in some officials books.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well this I feel is where the "CLUB" would come in, as they would Technically be co-owners on a "Time Share" basis.... co-ownership being dependant on subscription/annual fees.
Club Boat with you on books/insurance as Full Time Skipper..
Presume the Clubs name is "SurfnSail".. boat belongs to Club, you are full time Skipper, designate permanant second in command .... all Club Members are listed on Ships Papers therefore boat comes under multi/shared ownership rules and they put in an 'Expenses Pot' on arrival.... just depends on how much you consider their(officials) business and how much is yours.
A boat has 64 shares... these can be broken down into fractions if need be... 128 members = 1/2 64th share...etc, etc..
Anyone out there spot any flaws in my LOGIC please come in....