Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 13:10   #1

Yard Damaged Catamaran Hull

I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience with this or a similar issue.

We have a newer (perfect shape) sailing catamaran that is our full-time live aboard. We hauled out in Florida to have a bottom job and when we splashed, we had water ingress from what appears to be a crack where they either lifted us with a trailer or where we were blocked. The damage is below the waterline.

I spoke with the owner and he said they may have gotten the stand in the wrong place and will haul us next week and fix it.

That's all great and although I'm pretty bummed that it happened, all I want is for the hull to be back to as good as new.

So, here's my questions.

1) I'm considering having a surveyors come out and evaluate both hulls completely. My concern is that if there is one spot, there may be others.

2) I have no idea what the best way to repair this type of damage is. Will the surveyor provide this input?

3) should I find someone to do the repair or let the yard do it?

4) is this something I should contact our insurance company about?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 13:25   #2

Re: Yard Damaged Catamaran Hull

The surveyor should inspect it before and after. See what he recommends about his role.
Contact insurance as they have a bigger hammer.
A scratch is one thing but a crack that leaks is another!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 13:43   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The good news is fiberglass is repairable if prepped correctly, and the right chemicals are used.

Gaping holes below the waterline have been completely restored to good as new with multiple layers of epoxy, and glass mat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 13:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The good news is fiberglass is repairable if prepped correctly, and the right chemicals are used.

Gaping holes below the waterline have been completely restored to good as new with multiple layers of epoxy, and glass mat.
I agree and luckily the damaged area that is leaking can be reached from the inside as well. I'm really hoping that's the only spot since the cabinets in these things don't come out without a lot of work and damage.

8my concern is with my lack of knowledge in how to repair this damage correctly. I'll be relying 100% on the yard.
Old 03-12-2021, 15:02   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hiring a surveyor would be a good investment IMO. There is an inherent conflict in allowing the yard to be the arbiter of what constitutes an adequate repair in the known spot, or to diligently search for other damage. An independent assessment would represent your interests better.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 04-12-2021, 01:16   #6

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I had experienced a much bigger accident in which a boat next to me on the yacht club slips was not properly secured and knocked mine, see attached before and after photos.
The yacht club was responsible for the slip management, therefore the accident. The club insurance broker was called in to do the assessment.

Here are the steps I had to take as an owner.

First, if you're insured, your broker company needs to be informed of the accident. They are the ones to take over and negotiate with slip owner's insurance broker. Both you and your slip provider (responsible for the accident) step out of the beginning of this process.

What happens next is one of the insurance companies will ask you to have your boat's damaged assessed by a certified surveyor, which is agreed on. In my case, I did not like the surveyor at all, so I told the insurance company I would like to appoint a repair yard manager to manage the repair of my boat.

They agreed to my request and, I asked the repairs, for a quote to repair the damaged. At this point it is best to deal with a very experienced yard to conduct the repairs as they more than anyone know what to look for more than a surveyor does, as it's their job to put hands on a repair as they have done many repairs in the past. (also, it is a good idea and may prove invaluable to ask the boat designer in on the repair process)

Now this is the important part, do not accept a quote that is not opened ended as more damage maybe discovered which will add-on more cost. Also, do not accept a final payout for the repairs before the full extent of the damage is known by the repairer. The insurance company will want to pay you out if they agree on the quote. If more damage is discovered once you signed off on the payout. There will be no further ability to cover extra costs.

I was living on board, I had the insurance company cover the cost of a hotel for 8 months while waiting for my claims and repairs to be finalised, so I could move back on board. I hope this helps. Good luck with it, this experience cost me a year of my life in the end It was agreed that I could also charge for my time as I had to manage the manager who was appointed to the repair.

Repairing a damaged boat is not like taking your damaged car to the repair shop, the owner needs to be on hand to ensure the best quality outcomes. Good luck with it, it's no fun, but you learn a lot about your boat in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience with this or a similar issue.

We have a newer (perfect shape) sailing catamaran that is our full-time live aboard. We hauled out in Florida to have a bottom job and when we splashed, we had water ingress from what appears to be a crack where they either lifted us with a trailer or where we were blocked. The damage is below the waterline.

I spoke with the owner and he said they may have gotten the stand in the wrong place and will haul us next week and fix it.

That's all great and although I'm pretty bummed that it happened, all I want is for the hull to be back to as good as new.

So, here's my questions.

1) I'm considering having a surveyors come out and evaluate both hulls completely. My concern is that if there is one spot, there may be others.

2) I have no idea what the best way to repair this type of damage is. Will the surveyor provide this input?

3) should I find someone to do the repair or let the yard do it?

4) is this something I should contact our insurance company about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (23).jpg
Views:	380
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	249294   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (33).jpg
Views:	348
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	249295  

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (43).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	249296   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPAYC Dec 2nd Sko Knock Down 2018 (11).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	249297  

Name:	Sko Name on Bow (24) XMAS.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	249298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boom vang.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	249299  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:43   #7

I'm a little worried about getting the insurance company involved just yet. They told us they would "try to haul us on Tuesday but their schedule is really full". I'm concerned if they get a call from their insurance, they won't haul us until everything is figured out insurance wise.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:40   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I'm a little worried about getting the insurance company involved just yet. They told us they would "try to haul us on Tuesday but their schedule is really full". I'm concerned if they get a call from their insurance, they won't haul us until everything is figured out insurance wise.
I’d be just as worried. The previous poster took a different approach. Maximum compensation. Sometimes, getting the problem fixed and getting on with life is a lot less stressful. Almost always, in fact.

I have had similar marina gross negligence to the previous poster in the past. It ate up an incredible amount of time and I didn’t even go for everything the way he hid. I just went after the bare minimum to fix the damage.

First: what kind of hull do you have? I am assuming cored? What’s the core material?

Second: get back out of the water on the marina’s dime, put on a rubber glove (to avoid toxic bottom paint) and feel this impact area while looking at it as well. Now, go over the entire rest of the hull looking for the same type of disturbance. Feel/look.

Third: try to recreate what happened. An impact will be noticeable. A crush from a jack stand will be noticeable. Look to see if your core was crushed. Is it foam? If it’s foam you’re in luck. Easy repair. If it’s balsa and it’s been sitting in the water this long, you’ve got a major repair on your hands. But try to see how it happened so you can get an idea of where additional damage might be.

4th: where, exactly, is the damage ? In the middle of a section of hull? Near the bulkhead? Involving the bulkhead or chain plate? Involving the rudder area or any other specially reinforced area?

Adding pics of the damage here would be helpful.

My approach would change based on core material and different levels of damage.

If it’s foam with a single crush spot, you’re good. Just supervise the yard cutting out a piece of hull and patching. I can explain to you how this is properly done if you need.

If it’s balsa, they will have to keep cutting back until no more water is found in the core. This could be a few feet or a totaled boat. That’s the scary part. But exploratory surgery will be required (in addition to the surveyor checking with a moisture meter).

If solid fiberglass, also an easy fix of cutting out an area and re-glassing.

But you need to get out of the water and get more facts before proceeding.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49   #9

get a surveyor asap, a good one.
then move forward. It must be hauled to see the damage.
now comes the on-spot knowledge- If the yard did damage the hull, why? if improper blocking, then yes, check the other hull.
The yard may want to do the repair in house with no insurance if their responsibility.
The reason may be their deductible is larger than the damage, so they are out either way, but by your not claiming the insurance, it does not nick their premiums. A reputable yard will suggest this up front and this is simply honest business.
Improper blocking is not uncommon but happens, along with other yard unintended damages.
But be prepared- the hull could have an unknown defect that now becomes your responsibility- so don't come in frustrated and yelling if you don't know. you may have to have them fix your unknown defect/delamination.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:49   #10

Quote:
I'd be worried about hiding it from the insurance. Check your policy. Most require you to promptly notify them of claims.

Do get a surveyor on board and triple check that it's not going to sink while waiting. Most insurance requires you take reasonable precautions to eliminate follow up damage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:05   #11

I just notified BoatUS.

Reason being, I told them the day they put us in the water that there was a crack in the hull that was leaking water into the bilge and we needed to haul back out. The owner asked where the damage was and I told him and he said they may have blocked it incorrectly. They moved the boat with a trailer that lifts the hull and takes it to their travel lift. We have photos and a video of this process and I he crack is right where they both had a lift point and placed a block.

Their response was they were very busy and couldn't get to us for a week or so. They have since ignored my email asking for an earlier haul out.

It is balsa cored in that area.

The BoatUS adjuster is going to call the yard this morning.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29   #12

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
I just notified BoatUS.

Reason being, I told them the day they put us in the water that there was a crack in the hull that was leaking water into the bilge and we needed to haul back out. The owner asked where the damage was and I told him and he said they may have blocked it incorrectly. They moved the boat with a trailer that lifts the hull and takes it to their travel lift. We have photos and a video of this process and I he crack is right where they both had a lift point and placed a block.

Their response was they were very busy and couldn't get to us for a week or so. They have since ignored my email asking for an earlier haul out.

Good move! Any yard that damages your boat, then puts off a haulout for repair, doesn't really have your well being in mind. Since there's no remorse, and they're already trying to push you off with a later haulout, I'd say you'd be in for a fight on your own. With the insurance doing the fighting, you've got some weight behind you now.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Good move! Any yard that damages your boat, then puts off a haulout for repair, doesn't really have your well being in mind. Since there's no remorse, and they're already trying to push you off with a later haulout, I'd say you'd be in for a fight on your own. With the insurance doing the fighting, you've got some weight behind you now.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
The yard is sending their manager down now to look at the damage from the inside (they haven't even looked yet even though I asked them to) and determine the soonest they can haul us. This was within 5 minutes of the insurance company calling them.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:43   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I just notified BoatUS.

Prepare yourself. Brace yourself.

The lifting points are on the main structural beam bulkheads, both forward and aft.

There is going to be more to this than if it were in a random section of hull because those bulkheads are tied into the hull with special reinforcements in the area of the lift points. The laminate schedule will need to come from the manufacturer/designer and the joining of the main beam bulkhead to the hull will need to be reinforced as it was when it was built. Assuming that glass was damaged or will be removed for the fix.

The balsa core will be the wildcard. Sometimes, a good job is done and the hull is resin infused in such a way that the individual balsa blocks are each walled off from each other by resin. That’s what I did for the parts of my deck that are balsa (superior compression strength). In this case, you may get lucky and the damage will be localized.

If it’s hand layup, the water will invariably travel far from the hole and (brace yourself) could be a tremendous project of replacing all that. It would most easily be done from the outside.

It sounds like it was a blocking issue. (What, did they block you with an tire blowout strip??)

Anyway, you need to get out of the water yesterday. Maybe you can do that somewhere that will do it more quickly at your own expense. Mention to your marina that it’s an emergency and the damage could be getting a lot worse (it is) and that you need an emergency haul. If not, they can reimburse you for a marina that does have the time.

But get out of the water immediately if balsa.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:59   #15

They lifted it with a trailer in the wrong location. Missed the bulkhead by feet. We have a video of the process.

The operator just came to look and said that yes, he lifted it incorrectly and caused the damage.

Tags
catamaran, hull